SB2 parts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mdross1
SB2 parts

Post by mdross1 »

Have to lean on you guys for a good place to buy the parts and pieces including gaskets to set up the 427 with the SB2 topend.
Will need a set of pushrods to ck for length,3/8"to 7/16" head bolts,valve covers (ones I have are too tall) header flanges etc.Has anyone seen a book or magazine that specifically covers the SB2 engines,have a few questions.Setting up valve train,initial setting of rocker adjusters to order right pushrods dia and length.Want this motor to run on 91 octane so will need suggestions on compression ratio,timing maybe even suggestion on camshaft.Plan to mostly cruise with this bike but want it to make a statement maybe hit 7500 who knows.Main thing is crisp throttle response.This bike has a 3900 stall converter.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Re: SB2 parts

Post by levisnteeshirt »

an SB2 doesn't even wake up at 3900 ,,lol ,,, if u want to make a statement ,, build a 23 degree motor , and show everybody how much common sense you have for what your putting on 2 wheels
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

levisnteeshirt wrote:an SB2 doesn't even wake up at 3900 ,,lol ,,, if u want to make a statement ,, build a 23 degree motor , and show everybody how much common sense you have for what your putting on 2 wheels

Stuart most the time I think you are being a D. But damn I couldn't agree more with that statement. =D>
GURU is only a name.
Adam
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

mdross1 wrote:Have to lean on you guys for a good place to buy the parts and pieces including gaskets to set up the 427 with the SB2 topend.
Will need a set of pushrods to ck for length,3/8"to 7/16" head bolts,valve covers (ones I have are too tall) header flanges etc.Has anyone seen a book or magazine that specifically covers the SB2 engines,have a few questions.Setting up valve train,initial setting of rocker adjusters to order right pushrods dia and length.Want this motor to run on 91 octane so will need suggestions on compression ratio,timing maybe even suggestion on camshaft.Plan to mostly cruise with this bike but want it to make a statement maybe hit 7500 who knows.Main thing is crisp throttle response.This bike has a 3900 stall converter.
The SA Design book "How to Build Chevy Small Block Circle-Track racing Engines" (SA121) has a full chapter on the build-up of an 850 HP 431" SB2.2 The graph shows ~650 lb-ft. from ~ 5,000 to 7000, peak power ~7100...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

levisnteeshirt wrote:an SB2 doesn't even wake up at 3900 ,,lol ,,, if u want to make a statement ,, build a 23 degree motor , and show everybody how much common sense you have for what your putting on 2 wheels
"Common sense....800 HP...2 wheels..." Oxymoron anyone? :shock:

A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

He stated in his other thread that he wants to do this for bragging rights.
ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

Too late the wheels are in motion,from all I have read and heard these SB2 topped motors make a ton of torque which in a motorcycle is not needed all that much,so can focus on only hp.Besides there is a lot of bling with these big block looking heads hanging off this small block.
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

MadBill wrote:
Think about this a minute when I was knee high to a grasshopper back in my prime and drooling over the 60's muscle cars,if you could afford to own a 450hp muscle car you were a God! Back then getting into the 500+hp was overkill on our streets.
My inspiration is a man in Minnesota in his 70's running around on a 632 Donovan powered 2 wheeler pumping out over 1200 hp with 200hp shot of NOs just in case.You see where Im going 800hp is childs play.PS I hope! My bike now has a very healthy AFR head 406 dynoed 580hp with 200hp proggressive controlled NOs.Sure makes me wonder what is going to happen when I sart feeding the laughing gas to the SB2 proggressively.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Just to be clear, I'm not mocking or disparaging; I'm a huge fan of overkill! =D>

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

MadBill wrote: The SA Design book "How to Build Chevy Small Block Circle-Track racing Engines"
Like I said, I'm talking real HP numbers.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

MadBill wrote:
where do we send the flowers and cards? :P
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
TORQUE INC
Pro
Pro

Post by TORQUE INC »

Seems to me this is a biggest numbers contest......for about 15K less he could buy a real motorcycle and enjoy it
TORQUE RULES !!!!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

TORQUE INC wrote:Seems to me this is a biggest numbers contest......for about 15K less he could buy a real motorcycle and enjoy it

Kinda knowing the Boss Hoss motorcycles I will say they are impressive. A 572"/700 runs 8.70's/160's pretty much torching the tire the whole 1/4.

That said with a 420" aluminum everything you should be way ahead of the pack. Even if it had 650hp would be way more manageable than the 572. So forget about the low end because the right cam with the SB2.2 heads you wont have much. But 8000 would be a good shift point.

You say it has a 3900 stall??? Would that be with a ZZ4?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

TORQUE INC wrote:Seems to me this is a biggest numbers contest......for about 15K less he could buy a real motorcycle and enjoy it
Enjoy it? Real motorcycle? All I can add is you ain't ever enjoyed anything like riding one of these things.Been riding and building stroker Harleys for over 35 yrs,my latest is a 155" Twincam which keeps a smile on the pan constantly.Real motorcycles!! couldn't enjoy anything more than these hot rods! If you think you might not like riding a V8 bike stay away from them.Accelleration! is what these things are all about,melting the rear tire any time you want no matter what speed.Passing anything anytime you want and trying to keep the tire hooked.Need I say more.
BigBlocksOnTop
Pro
Pro

Post by BigBlocksOnTop »

Need driveshaft and differential and some way to hook it up to a Top Fuel tire. Hold on tight and see how fast a SB2 can go.:lol: