2.3 ford 4 cylinder circle track engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mike22l
Pro
Pro
2.3 ford 4 cylinder circle track engine

Post by mike22l »

Does anyone know what factory head serial number or year of vehicle flow the best for a 2.3 litre ford with the timing belt style? dport or oval...head off a turbo 2.3?

i was just asked to build a mini mod 4 cylinder ford 2.3 litre engine. Must be stoch head.

I was thinking about putting 2.5litre rods in it also?

thanks guys,

Mike
M Pain
Re: 2.3 ford 4 cylinder circle track engine

Post by M Pain »

D port seams to work better so far, but watch chamber and valve size too.

Does this class allow aftermarket rods or non standard rods?
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Board member #84Dave is a guru and hopefully will see your post. The 4M.Net board has some knowledgeable 4cyl circle track guys.
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

Rules? D4 castings/intakes are generally preferable. But, everything depends on the rules.
Joe Stalnaker
WV
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

MaxFlow has asked the right question. Tell us something about the Rules. Pavement or dirt? Roller cam allowed? What carb under the Rules............. etc. etc. -Dave-
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

When we had a local track that ran that as a stock class I used the "D" head and there is another stock manifold that works better..... I can't remember the #'s. Seems like a 2000 series??? We had to use stock parts.
Set up on Rocker arm geometry is critical, esp with block milling and head milling. Get a couple of the adjustable lifters for setup. When they wouldn't let me use an adjustable cam gear I would re key a stock one and do some trick milling on them. Those are neat little engines.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
mike22l
Pro
Pro

Post by mike22l »

12. Engine
No fuel injection, turbo charged engines or twin cams. .060 maximum overbore allowed.
Maximum .100 head planing. Cam lift maximum .273 or .454 lift at valve only flat top piston
allowed. Must retain .000 deck height .3 pistons and three rods allowed to be balanced but crank
must remain stock and stock stroke. Flywheels may be cleaned, CLUTCH SIDE ONLY (.130)
No lightening, no holes drilled. Stock valves. No porting polishing or gasket matching.
Minimum Ford cylinder head thickness 3.690 if under this dimension by .001 thou will be
deemed illegal and strictly enforced. Illegal parts will be confiscated. Intake manifold must remain
competely stock! Inspection port is to be installed in oil pan. It must be in an accessible location.
This port can be no smaller than1 1/4" ID and must permit viewing of internal components
If this port does not permit internal component viewing or is not in an accessible area the engine
will be pulled and have the oil pan removed at the competitors expense.
E.G. 2000 BLOCKMUSTHAVE 2000 HEADS
2300 BLUCK MUST HAVE 2300 HEADS
NO MIX AND MATCH

They can run a 350CFM or 500CFM 4412 2 bbl carb
The engines turn usually turn 7300rpm
They can run race fuel
They can run headers
mike22l
Pro
Pro

Post by mike22l »

they are also not allowed roller cams.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Very similar rules to what I had to build around. Build it like a NHRA Stocker. Maximize the effect of every area you can. The valve job is a critical area as well as cam selection and rocker geometry. That type of rocker arm can change what the valve sees off any given cam profile if "each rocker" isn't setup properly. After all the allowed milling the timing belt must be adjusted to put the rocker action where it needs to be. Working with the cam C/L is ok, but I ended up working with the actual opening and closing points of the valve action. You can put the C/L's where you think they should be and find out the rocker setup is altering the actual opening and closing points. The shape of the bowls and the valve job are just like a NHRA Stocker, critical for flow. I spent many hours on the flow bench with some spare heads that were sacrificed. Flow the head with the intake. I believe there were 2 ports that ended up with just a little different shape/angles in the valve job to increase flow. The last angle at the SS Radius is very important. Don't give up low lift flow for high lift flow. Build a flow curve that is healthy at mid lift. We were allowed to put in a stock diameter Stainless valve in place of the poor quality stockers. The back side shape of the valve was an area that can help flow at low and mid lift. I also offset bored a couple of blocks and they seemed to work well as well as hold up. At the time I didn't have a sonic checker so I can't tell you how thick the bores ended up. Sitting here typing this I had a thought about the fuel. When I did these I found out they were not prone to detonation and didn't need high octane fuel. I'm now wondering how they would respond to E-85..?? I worked on these many years ago...This is really digging into my memory bank...I've enjoyed remembering the past. :~) Good luck with your project.
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
Horsewidower
Pro
Pro

Post by Horsewidower »

Avoid or inspect carefully the turbo heads. Most are cracked around the exhaust valve.

Here is a listing of head flow numbers:

http://www.boportforum.proboards.com/in ... y&thread=9
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

If you can get ahold of Will Hobgood in S.C. you have found the king of 2300s. Will and his sons dominated Daytona. The cam is by far the most important part of this engine and every cam grinder will tell you they know how to grind one.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Big thunbs up to what Robert said, esp about cam....
Adger Smith
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

Are those the rules copied exact from the rule book? I'm just a tickler about rules and wording is all.............lol
Joe Stalnaker
WV
mike22l
Pro
Pro

Post by mike22l »

Yes, those are the words taken right out of the rule book

Mike
mike22l
Pro
Pro

Post by mike22l »

do you guya know will hogoods phone number so i can contact him about this engine?
thanks

i tried the whitepages online and couldnt find him

thanks

Mike