BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Mike Laws wrote:
stilhead wrote:In my humble opinion, only those builders who choose not to participate will be losers. Were there any "losers" at the EMC?, No! In every Cup race there is only one winner, there are forty-two "losers". It's easy to talk the talk, the people who try and put forth the effort are the ones who earn respect. Come on guys, bury the ego's and come and have some fun.
Guys:

stilhead has donated $200 toward the Shootout which will be distributed to the winners. Thank you.

Mike
Cool deal, cash is nice but I will take a check also. Sorry I couldn't pass that up. lol
If a lot of carb company's don't want in and they talk the talk oh well. Everybody has a 7 sec car until they take it to the track and it won't run but 10.50's. Then the fun start's listen to all of the excuse's why it won't run. :lol:

www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

[quote="jmarkaudio"]Here is a little taste of handywork. It's a billet Dominator body made by BLP. Just a taste. :mrgreen:

Looks like a serious amount of chips required to make a carburetor. What was the before and what is the after weight? Is this going to be a production piece? I hope it runs as good as it looks.

Dave
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

This is a built to order body for BLP, and throttle bore will go up to 2.800. This is similar to the stretched one Mike Laws is running on his dragster shown below, even though mixture distribution would possibly be better with one like his I opted for a standard Dominator bolt pattern as the ability to sell it if I wish will be much easier, and I am able to adapt it to my engines for testing. Not sure of the before weight, I'll have to check the after. So how many do you want and what sizes? I'm sure I can get you a good discount... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

Dave Braswell wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:Here is a little taste of handywork. It's a billet Dominator body made by BLP. Just a taste. :mrgreen:

Looks like a serious amount of chips required to make a carburetor. What was the before and what is the after weight? Is this going to be a production piece? I hope it runs as good as it looks.

Dave
Definitely a serious amount of chips Dave. I'm not sure of the before weight but the after weight is very close to a standard 4500 carburetor and is obviously dependent on venturi and throttle bore size.

The one we run on our dragster is a stretched version and measures 2.225"V x 2.600" TB flows right at 1800cfm, depending on booster skirt size this can go up to about 2200. The engine is a 673CI, 14 degree headed engine from Sonny Leonard, it made 1385HP on his dyno on the 3rd pull, it was still a little rich and I believe we could have gotten 1400 out of it but since this engine requires new rods after 80 runs I was happy to stop there :D At the NHRA national event in Charlotte in March we ran a 6.799 off the trailer in our first ever pass, we went 6.800 second pass and got sent home with a 6.76 @ 198 breakout on the brakes in eliminations, this is a 1950LB. car with driver. If we can ever get enough time to do some serious testing the car should go mid 6.60's at around 202-204 mph. We haven't seen or heard of a faster single 4bbl. car in our class but I know there are some A/ED cars that would hand us our lunch if we tried them out.

This is a production piece, Sonny has a twin to our carb on a 762 CI Hemi that went a little over 1500HP, I don't know what type of car it's in, there is a little smaller one on a 480CI truck pull engine with the Box Ram manifold that has reported very good gains over the 2.350" TB carb he was running (we didn't build this carb, we just supplied the parts) and there are a couple of standard bolt pattern versions of various sizes running on a couple of other engines out there. So far the results have been very positive.
Rick Cole
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

Rick,

The next step is to simply make a casting, think "net shape".

Dave
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

I talked with Gary Williams this afternoon, he is going to prepare a QFT 1250 (2.125" T/B) carb as a OOTB entry. He can't get away from work long enough to attend the shootout, so Zack from QFT will run the carb for him. His entry fee will be sent next week.
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

Dave Braswell wrote:I talked with Gary Williams this afternoon, he is going to prepare a QFT 1250 (2.125" T/B) carb as a OOTB entry. He can't get away from work long enough to attend the shootout, so Zack from QFT will run the carb for him. His entry fee will be sent next week.
Great news!
Rick Cole
big G

Post by big G »

I just found out about this shoot out, I wish they had a 2bbl class that is my thing. I dont know if i have time to do a 4bbl.

Steve
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

big G wrote:I just found out about this shoot out, I wish they had a 2bbl class that is my thing. I dont know if i have time to do a 4bbl.

Steve
It is a very good possibility that next year there will be a 2bbl class. And hopefully they will have to pass the gauge's.

www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

That would be awesome. A lot of circle track guys use the 2bbl.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Will the crankcase vacuum be monitored to make sure some way rich or way lean carb did not compromise the ring seal? Likewise....efforts should be made to make sure the valve springs are consistent.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Lem Evans wrote:Will the crankcase vacuum be monitored to make sure some way rich or way lean carb did not compromise the ring seal? Likewise....efforts should be made to make sure the valve springs are consistent.
BLP is also do a carb to get a base line on the engine. And after every 3 or 4 contestant's do there pull's the BLP carb will be put back on. Just to make sure that nothing crazy is going on with the engine.

http://www.devanecarbs.com
StanJ

Post by StanJ »

Robbie DeVane wrote:
big G wrote:I just found out about this shoot out, I wish they had a 2bbl class that is my thing. I dont know if i have time to do a 4bbl.

Steve
It is a very good possibility that next year there will be a 2bbl class. And hopefully they will have to pass the gauge's.

www.devanecarbs.com

Agreed. Hopefully, it will be a gauge-legal 1.375"V X 1.687"TB carb with choke horn intact and boosters conforming to CURRENT PRODUCTION SPECS (yeah...I'm talkin' to you, Old Dominion Speedway). With probably 95% of the 2brl oval-track classes in the country requiring "stock" (cough-cough) #4412 or #80583 carbs, it would make little sense to allow mods that don't fit those parameters.
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

Well my questions about the dyno were answered. Sounds like it'll be a great test that will translate very well to track performance. Must be fun to have something like that to play with.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by Mike Laws »

Notice:

Entry & entry fee deadline set for Nov. 11, 2011.
No entries will be accepted after end of this day.

Entries received as of today (Nov 2, 2011):

AED
APD
Braswell
CFM
DaVinci
Holley Perf.
KB Carburetors
Mark Whitener
Quickfuel
RayJE
Stallion