Plausable engine damages caused by backfiring

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Small block guy
Plausable engine damages caused by backfiring

Post by Small block guy »

What are the worst damages that can be caused by backfires when cranking a naturally aspirated engine.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Plausable engine damages caused by backfiring

Post by cjperformance »

bent conrod, intake valve blown open causing hydro lifter to pump up and in some engines cause a bent valve, bent push rods, broken rocker, starter motor damage(not really actual engine damage)
Craig.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

The only damage I've ever had was blown power valves, even in the carbs with power valve protection. But you can bend the throttle blades or distroy the whole carb in a really bad one. With a supercharger, you can blow the whole supercharger off. I'm sure you've seen that on TV with Top Fuel Dragsters. But I've never heard of anyone bending valves or pushrods. I'm not sure if a backfire can be powerful enough to open a valve. Guess it could.
Joe Facciano
Small block guy

Post by Small block guy »

I had a misfire when I brilliantly installed the dist. It seemed like it fired on the comp. Stroke while cranking, Both valves shut. Didn't come out the carb or the exhaust. Sounded like a sledgehammer hitting the top of the piston. I hope that the hi torque starter was weaker than the h beam 800 hp rated rods. Motor has no tight spots when turned over, and started up fine, no odd noises. In the words of Winnie the pooh.... Oh bother.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

While waiting for my msd dist to come back form repairs I had a backfire (you can not repair the E curve dists yourself-and it look like a brand new dist msd sent me back)

The rotor slip on some 30 year old dual point I was using but right by my house, yeah it was loud and the motor then shut off. That was last summer and all is still fine. I'm sure all my neighbors heard it, lol

Watch some of the old 60's Munsters reruns, that old hot rod car they used loved to backfire.

Now I would not be surprise if backfiring can cause major damage.....I think there is safe backfiring and unsafe :?: I know a crack header pipe will cause loud backfiring noises on deceleration, give it a bit of gas it stop, let up and bang bang if its in a low gear or running steep gears in back...I ran it for a month or two like that until the weather warmed up and too many people outside would jump and look--think it sounded a bit like gun fire--but the sound doesn't carry--suburban folks don't know the difference
Last edited by Dodge Freak on Tue May 03, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

I've lost mufflers to a good backfire before..
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

the only other backfire damage I've seen is valve cover and intake tray on BB Mopars get blown out. but it only can happen if engine cranked and gas fumes build in crankcase. don't see how rod can get bent either.
12speedfurd

Post by 12speedfurd »

we had a limited sprint car running a 347 ci sbf. the distributor gear pin sheared on the backstretch at around 7000. The "BANG" made everyone gasp, and we started thinking about what we had for a backup engine.... We pulled it back to the pits, cranked it by hand and it felt fine, (thats when we checked the dist and found out what happened). Put in our backup magneto and pushed it off and it ran fine, no issues. Finished the season.
......Now that I think about it, when we pulled that engine apart one of the main webs came out with the crank. We felt that the only thing holding it together was the main girdle. Maybe the block was damaged when it backfired?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

When I mentioned bent conrods Im talking of a backfire or crossfire which fires on the comp stroke or when the intake valve is just open, NOT a backfire thru the exhaust.
On the Ford Australian OHC 4.0L 6cyl engines we have a factory option for LPG. On the early 2000 models there was an ECU glitch which on occasion caused the wrong cyl to fire on a coil over plug setup. On the LPG models, if this happened at the right time, they can and did bend a conrod. After this Ford fitted all factory LPG engines with the conrods from the Turbocharged model. The stronger rods would not bend under this condition. Then they fixed the ignition glitch.

If the crossfire occurs when the intake valve is open, and the intake manifold is full of air and fuel, this ignites and can push another intake valve open and the hydro lifter will then ride the valve open till it settles. This at times can bend an intake valve and or the pushrod.
Craig.
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

that I can see happening
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

don't forget the teeth on the flywheel taking a dump, pita.
mike walsh
Expert
Expert

Post by mike walsh »

crazyman wrote:I've lost mufflers to a good backfire before..
Had an old Ford pickup with a healthy 390, when towing the first thing I'd do is pump the accelerator a couple times then hammer it once, that pesky muffler would blow off with a back fire and she'd run right, a little louder, just harley loud...
mikeeebikey@yahoo.com

Drag racers prayer:
As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
kick2008a

Post by kick2008a »

I've had 3 items damaged, I run alcohol and when cold, it’s backfired and once blew an intake manifold gasket. I recently broke a starter pinion gear and took off a couple teeth on the flywheel.