compression ratio, octane, ignition lead

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dan miller

compression ratio, octane, ignition lead

Post by dan miller »

This year, EMC provides Q16 fuel, and the compression ratio is unrestricted.

Several in our group (including me) wanted approximately 16:1. Several in our group (including Gene Adams) wanted approximately 12.5:1, but were "OK" with a little more. Turns out that it's a moot point, as we're limited to high 13's:1 due to our piston of choice (Ross "392" forging).

Detonation shouldn't be an issue, as early hemi's on both methanol and gasoline seem to run best at between 26-30 degrees lead.

As the compression ratio goes up, so does the dome, which might be detrimental. Also, I suspect that as the compression ratio goes up, there are diminishing returns.

Can anyone 'splain all this to me? What might be the range of the optimal compression ratio? How much, if anything, are we "leaving on the table"?

It should be noted that Q16 has a considerable methanol content, or so I've been told. It's not the same fuel (nor legal) as run in NHRA gas classes like pro stock, that utilize compression very high compression ratios.

It's a mystery. lol

Thanks, Danny
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: compression ratio, octane, ignition lead

Post by bigjoe1 »

I* have seen a 30 HP increase using the Q -16 race gas with 15 to one compression. With 13.5 to one , the gains were somewhat less. It seems you need high compression to reap a large increase from the fuel. I was surprised and impressed too

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Joe, I have heard that people who run Q-16 have seen the cylinder walls get very hard to the point where they are difficult to hone. I have heard this is because of some of the chemicals in the fuel. Have you seen this?
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have not seen anything like that so far. Again, I am impressed with the increase in performance, just from the gas itself. I have not seen any ill effects.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

557 jet boat engine. 14.2 compression, properly jetted , worth 40 hp over c-14... HP peak developed below 7,200.
Use it quite a lot in Boat racer engines. Nothing negative about it except corrosion. Not sure what the oxidizer compound is. I don't think it's methanol.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Never used q-16 ,but I have lost power when going to 116 octane.I was guessing I didn't have enough c/r to support that octane
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

116 is designed for NOS. I've always lost power on NA engines with it. Not a N/A fuel. Burn rate is slower & designed to burn in a Nitrogen rich environment, is my assumption.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
dan miller

Post by dan miller »

Thank you, everyone. Good info. Danny
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

In regards to the diminishing returns for increasing cr, I was told that eventually at higher levels the chemistry involved produces new molecules that absorb heat energy and send it out the exhaust. I imagine the fuel used will be the determining factor.
So much to do, so little time...