600 HP LS engine carb section

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hymey
Re: 600 HP LS engine carb section

Post by hymey »

I was actually searchin for the 1.8 throttle carbs!
Hyd rollers are for GIRLS---The higher the rocker ratio, the sooner the valves will float

JOE SHERMAN RACING
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

You want to really get some 4150 flow? Also can be done with the HP body for a little more flow.

http://www.blp.com
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Twin mono-blades. :D
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

bigjoe1 wrote:I have a good friend with a very similar engine combo as you describe. We have run his engine on the dyno many times ( 50 runs ) He kept going to a larger CFM carburetor, and the power also kept going up== He is up to 1000 CFM ( 750 started ) it is making 648 HP at 7000 RPM. It revs right up to 7600, then the valve train goes crazy .It picked up over 20 HP from the 750 to the 1000 CFM carb

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
Not bad for a girly cam, Joe!

Jon
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Thanks== I forgot the best part about the engine. It has 11 to one compression, and runs on 91 octane pump gas. I was very impressed with the 647 HP from 400 cubic inches ( it is a 4.00 by 4.00 )

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
hymey

Post by hymey »

sounds like a solid 402. Engine masters girly cam motor. haha
Hyd rollers are for GIRLS---The higher the rocker ratio, the sooner the valves will float

JOE SHERMAN RACING
PRO SYSTEMS

Post by PRO SYSTEMS »

We have found some key carb combinations that allow you to run some real big carbs on those LS Engines. Even junkyard truck engines with only a cam upgrade and headers is enough to allow you to run these big carbs.

From our facebook page on June 28th 2010: Just when you thought you saw everything. Dave Mizell ordered an SV1 for his almost 800 h.p. engine (the engine awaits assembly). So for fun he installed that SV1 on a 9.8:1 cammed LS Truck motor equipped foot brake car. The four barrel carb (one of our 1000 HP's) in 2200 feet d.a. has ran a best pass of 10.21. In 600 feet worse air the SV1 ran a 10.01!!

The 1000 HP was about about 960 REAL cfm. The SV1 was 1100 REAL cfm.

Just some food for thought. Think big on these LS deals... they appear to like it.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Eric68
Expert
Expert

Post by Eric68 »

For a 600 HP motor I would run a 4150 that flows 900-1000 cfm. An 850 or HP 1000 would be my choice.

By the way, to the guy that posted about an HP950. An HP 950 has its own unique main body with the same size venturi as an HP 750 but with a steeper taper that allows a 1.75" throttle plate (like the 850 or HP 1000) to be used. It is definitely NOT a 4779 main body on an 850 base plate ;) The HP950 is a versatile carb that works on a lot of applications, but is a little small for this combo (they flow about 830 cfm).
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
ItalianJohnny
Pro
Pro

Post by ItalianJohnny »

hymey wrote:Just done some more research. A guy on ls1tech had a fast L92 combo in a mustang 2990 pound not including driver (near 250 pound lol). He had a modified 750 HP and was running 9.9@ 138 mph with that combo shifting at 7000 rpm. 780 cfm pro systems carb. Thats not to bad.
I can't say enough about my Pro-systems carb... it is a Bolt on affair... I may have to change air bleeds a Little, but not much.... It is an HP 950.... not Horribly priced either
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

ItalianJohnny wrote:
hymey wrote:Just done some more research. A guy on ls1tech had a fast L92 combo in a mustang 2990 pound not including driver (near 250 pound lol). He had a modified 750 HP and was running 9.9@ 138 mph with that combo shifting at 7000 rpm. 780 cfm pro systems carb. Thats not to bad.
I can't say enough about my Pro-systems carb... it is a Bolt on affair... I may have to change air bleeds a Little, but not much.... It is an HP 950.... not Horribly priced either
Having been involved specifically in the carburetor business for the better part of 32 years, I can tell you this with absolute certainty: there is no such thing as a bolt on carburetor "if" you have any intention of getting the most from an engine / vehicle combination!

Bolt on is bull sh!t but for stock engines on the street. If you look through my various photos you WILL see Pro Sys. carbs that I have "re-tuned" to the application.

Holley, Pro Sys, Demon and others design fuel curves and carburetors for maximum application coverage and sales with a minimum of effort, tech calls and returns. It's about money in the bank the easiest way possible, not maximizing your engines performance.

Troy Patterson blog tmpcarbs.blogspot website TMPCarbs.net Engine Professionals Magazine's TMP Tuning article, pg. 44
hymey

Post by hymey »

When I spoke to Dave Mizzell, He ran a 9.9@ 138 with a modified 750- flowed 780cfm by prosystems. Thats a good effort.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
PRO SYSTEMS

Post by PRO SYSTEMS »

To summarize: Patterson said "Holley, Pro Sys, Demon and others designs are about money in the bank the easiest way possible, not maximizing your engines performance."

Patterson what a slanderous statement you just made. I was on the dyno tuning in a pair of carbs for an 860 c.i. Championship winning engine until 2:40 a.m. last night. What were you doing?

Talk about what you know about, leave me out of your posts. Our company has hundreds and hundreds of records and Championships and we compete in arenas where our designs are constantly tested in back to back comparisons. We lose, we win, its a constant fight to stay on board. Our carbs didn't stay on those cars because they were the slowest.

Some people.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

While Troy can be on the blunt side, any carb will run best when tuned for what it is on. If the engine is very efficient at keeping up air velocity and combustion it will run fine if close, but still may run better when tuned on the engine and vehicle it's going to live on. Otherwise you would not have to stay up until 2:40 AM dyno tuning carbs, they would be perfect out of the box!!! And anyone that expects the carbs to be perfect out of the box is dreaming, there are too many variables as well as combinations that just don't work well no matter what you put on them. A pro built carb should be closer and better tuned than the mass produced versions and may on occasion be perfect but you never should expect it.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Sorry Patrick, but I've spoken to enough people, seen enough and know enough that I am aware that by definition, large volume built carbs are rather "generic" in terms of fuel curve and design including Pro System carbs. I'm sure you build some high end carbs, but I'm also sure the majority aren't.

If you want NOT to be included in that category of carburetor builders, then I'd suggest Pro Sys stop feeding the less knowledgeable bull shit about how modified carburetors simply bolted on a high performance engine delivers optimum performance! That you were up tuning last night as jmark pointed out perfectly demonstrates my point that:
there is no such thing as a bolt on carburetor "if" you have any intention of getting the most from an engine / vehicle combination!
I would be less offended if the internet wasn't awash with propaganda from what appears to be your marketing department. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's great if you come and contribute to the forum, but as all us who have been here for sometime know, we're pretty good at calling "bull shit" when we see it - no offense and I don't mean to diminish what you have accomplished, just any BS I see and hear.

If you don't like it, I can recommend a few forums that allow paid advertisers to say what they want and to ban those who challenge them :wink: You know, the forums that pretend to be just another automotive forum on the internet with a bunch of racing enthusiast / unsolicited testimonial types, but are really nothing more than marketers manipulating people into spending money on a given brand or product with misleading statement.

Troy Patterson blog tmpcarbs.blogspot website TMPCarbs.net Engine Professionals Magazine's TMP Tuning article, pg. 44
Last edited by Troy Patterson on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Thanks jmark, I can be blunt :D