Springs for Vortec Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro
Springs for Vortec Heads

Post by RichardThiessen »

What springs/partnumber do most people use on vortec heads? I need to set up a pair of vortec heads for a buddy and would prefer to use compcams springs, retainers and locks because I get good pricing on compcams stuff.

I know a lot of people use comp beehive springs, but which ones? Its a hydraulic roller around 234 duration @.050 probably .500-ish lift. I dont have the cam specs on hand... but they're not too radical though.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Springs for Vortec Heads

Post by ProPower engines »

What cam is it?
If its comp a good place to start would be their catalog. Check the spring recommendation for that cam and go through the book to find them. That system will work for any cam as well.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Please go over to NastyZ28 and read arguably the best Vortec Sticky on the web and pay close attention to Dirt Reynolds "Ghetto-Grind" as far as spring fitment issues.

I figure a set of Elgin's Z-28 springs and kit will do you nicely up to .500" lift and the price is generally CHEAP everywhere!!! Otherwise, their .600" lift Z-28 type springs might do you??

pdq67
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

ProPower engines wrote:What cam is it?
If its comp a good place to start would be their catalog. Check the spring recommendation for that cam and go through the book to find them. That system will work for any cam as well.
its a custom grind cam, so I can't look up their recommended spring. I also don't have the specs in front of me, but someone told me Z28 beehive springs... i just didnt know what the part number was for them.
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

pdq67 wrote:Please go over to NastyZ28 and read arguably the best Vortec Sticky on the web and pay close attention to Dirt Reynolds "Ghetto-Grind" as far as spring fitment issues.

I figure a set of Elgin's Z-28 springs and kit will do you nicely up to .500" lift and the price is generally CHEAP everywhere!!! Otherwise, their .600" lift Z-28 type springs might do you??

pdq67

I'll look them up thanks
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

CC 26918/26915 Beehives
CC 787 retainers
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

RichardThiessen wrote:
its a custom grind cam, so I can't look up their recommended spring. I also don't have the specs in front of me, but someone told me Z28 beehive springs... i just didnt know what the part number was for them.
SOOOOOOOooooo you could call the cam guy and ask??? I mean just to safe. What make is it??? Custom or not it was designed for a specific spring to work correctly.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

ProPower engines wrote:
RichardThiessen wrote:
SOOOOOOOooooo you could call the cam guy and ask??? I mean just to safe. What make is it??? Custom or not it was designed for a specific spring to work correctly.
I have all the lobe/cam specs at the office, I just wanted look up some information last night already. Its a compcams custom grind. I think the guy he got to order the cam knew he wanted to run vortec heads.
Mykk

Post by Mykk »

cpmotors wrote:CC 26918/26915 Beehives
CC 787 retainers
I've been running the 26918 on my vortec heads for years without problems. Two different sets of heads, same set of springs, both with a LT4 hotcam and a Comp XR276HR.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Richard,

The comp bees are ok, but for a budget deal, I've used the yellow GM beehives from LSx engines. 92# seat at prescribed installed hiegth, but they'll take a bunch of lift, so you could stack them tighter. Lingenfelter perf sells them on ebay for $56 ish, iirc. I've also used the std LSx springs. The 787 comp retainers work with the LSx springs. They are a little fatter wire and a little smaller inside than the comp springs, and may not fit the guide boss on all older heads. Ghetto, but I've cut the step on guide bosses using a 1" hole saw when the yellows would not fit, or fit to tightly. A worn 1" hole saw is "about right" LOL.

Fwiw, I'd trust a GM spring more than the "who knows where they come from" budget "Z28" springs.

Dave
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

dave brode wrote:Richard,

The comp bees are ok, but for a budget deal, I've used the yellow GM beehives from LSx engines. 92# seat at prescribed installed hiegth, but they'll take a bunch of lift, so you could stack them tighter. Lingenfelter perf sells them on ebay for $56 ish, iirc. I've also used the std LSx springs. The 787 comp retainers work with the LSx springs. They are a little fatter wire and a little smaller inside than the comp springs, and may not fit the guide boss on all older heads. Ghetto, but I've cut the step on guide bosses using a 1" hole saw when the yellows would not fit, or fit to tightly. A worn 1" hole saw is "about right" LOL.

Fwiw, I'd trust a GM spring more than the "who knows where they come from" budget "Z28" springs.

Dave
Thanks. I'll look into this also.
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

RichardThiessen wrote: Thanks. I'll look into this also.
Richard,

The spring boss i.d. on your older heads may well be a tad smaller than those on later vortec heads. The LSx springs may drop on ok.

Dave
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

Just out of curiousity, could one use the heavier comp beehive spring and then use a +.050 locks? You'd lose a little seat pressure but gain retainer to seal distance? Or would the stock self-aligning rockers not fit the valve stem then? Among other issues?

Or am I out in left field :lol:
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

RichardThiessen wrote:Just out of curiousity, could one use the heavier comp beehive spring and then use a +.050 locks? You'd lose a little seat pressure but gain retainer to seal distance? Or would the stock self-aligning rockers not fit the valve stem then? Among other issues?

Or am I out in left field :lol:
Imo, yes, and the stock non colored bees from std LSx engine or the yellows could be stacked tighter if desired, since your cam is low lift. Fwiw, I've used the yellow springs stacked a tad tighter [.025" tighter iirc and 95# seat with a slow ramp .536" lift cam and heavy pontiac valves in a cadillac engine that usually saw 4800, but did go 5500-5600 in the water box a few times and I didn't "hear" any float. I used low mile takeoff [non colored bees] from an LS1 on my 4.3. Iirc, they are set for 70 or so lbs seat on the LS, but imo, should control the valves much better even there than a cheap straight spring set at more seat pressure. Imo, even if the std truck LS springs are different than the LS1 springs that I used, they would be a fine option for you. Afaik, the 787 comp retainers will work with any of them.

Dave