storm vulcan #85 surfacer

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

k-star
Guru
Guru

storm vulcan #85 surfacer

Post by k-star »

I am in the market to buy a used storm vulcan head /block surfacer. I have been looking at the model # 85..I have seen some good deals on them. I was wondering what i should look for in a used one, what brakes, ware's out??? Also anybody know the difference in the 3 leg to the 4 leg machine???

Thanks Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

i have a Storm Vulcan Block Master 85-BE

Electric drive, infinte variable speed, cuts Forwards / Backwards

4-Leg , replaceable cutter insets with 4 cutting edges per side , 8 Total
cutting edges on each insert

never had a problem with the 85 BE , mills Blocks or Heads , or
anything you can mount up

the variable speed electric drive can go from a Mirror Finish to Rough Finish,..you can set the speed to a crawl , taking 10 minutes to mill a Head
if you'd like or any other speed for a rougher/faster cut

the only real disadvantage is the 85BE mills in an arc across the Head
so in order to mill Intake sides of Heads with Lips, need to setup in Vertical Mill

it took me a Day and a half to adjust all the Bridges under the Machine,
i got the surface to .00025" accuracy anywhere on the bottom table

if you want to mill 1/2 Thousandths off a Head ...you can :)

http://www.maxracesoftware.com/Anglemill_Supr_2.jpg

this version has the largest diameter cutter wheel ever offered in the 85
17 or 18 adjustable cutters

very heavy duty rock solid Machine

the Machine mills "Dry" ..no coolant mess or cleanup
you can walk right up to the Machine and very easily, quickly mount
a Cyl Head, everythings right in front of you, easy access

the Dial Feed is really a large accurate "Micrometer" reads in thousandths and is on the money full travel

i've added a 2 inch depth Dial Indicator just to verify the Dial Feed
(see Pic..the Indicator above the Feed Handle, not the one on the Head/Wheel)

easy Leveling ..see Pic..the 1" Dial Indicator on the Wheel/Head

there were a few later versions that they moved the Motor ontop of the
Cutter wheel for direct drive, and reduced the rigidity of the swing arm , which was straighter and not as curved, but a few i've seen would have chatter marks .

also some versions SV reduce the overal height from Cutter Wheel to table by a few inches

some versions have smaller diameter wheel

some versions different Head holding fixture with different height

then there are the Head only versions (can't deck a Block, or most blocks)

SV-85BE could be vastly improved by converting to CBN inserts
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

The 85B is a durable rather maintenence free piece of equipment. It is heavy and you dont get vibration/chatter like some of the lighter pieces out there. The shop I use to manage had one and I converted it over to electric variable speed traverse. It simply bollted to the shaft that drove the traverse gear box and could go forward or backwards. Look for unusual wear on the bed where the head travels. The cutter head will mill alot of heads and blocks before sharpening. If need sharpening would send to Storm Vulcan in Texas. If you get one I would recommend the BHJ block tru ficture for it. I also have a cylinder head roll over fixture like in Meax picture I would let go cheap if the one you are looking at doesnt come with one. Brent
k-star
Guru
Guru

surfacer

Post by k-star »

Thanks for the replys,,, sounds like the machine i am looking for.

Brent if i need that rollover fixture i'll give you a shout.... The machine i was looking at when i asked had all the fixtures but the deal fell through on that one....

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
maxracesoftware
Vendor

I also have a cylinder head roll over fixture like in Meaux picture I would let go cheap if the one you are looking at doesnt come with one. Brent
How cheap ??? :)

any Pictures ??
MaxRace Software
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

Larry I dont have a way to post pictures,it is identical as the one in your picture. Perhaps trade for some software?? How does that sound? You can e-mail me at enginewizard@hotmail.com Brent
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Larry I dont have a way to post pictures,it is identical as the one in your picture. Perhaps trade for some software?? How does that sound? You can e-mail me at enginewizard@hotmail.com Brent
Brent, i sent you an Email via Yahoo ..thanks
MaxRace Software
TERRY66

Re: storm vulcan #85 surfacer

Post by TERRY66 »

The Storm Vulcan 85 headmaster was manufactured with only three legs except for a few later models that had four legs. The 85 was made for surfacing cylinder heads only. The 85B Blockmaster will surface cylinder heads and blocks and is still one of the most accurate machines around. The three legged 85 is great for heads but cannot be converted to an 85B like the four leg versions.
The best most versitle machine would be the 85B blockmaster. The trick is to make sure you get all the tooling with the machine. It's very nice to have the varible rpm on the feed to give you the ability to put a smoother surface on the heads and blocks. There is also a cutter head avalable that uses indexable carbides with a chipbreaker for aluminum heads as well as cast iron.
I have a reconditioned machine at this time. An 85B with varible speed. If your interested please contact me.
texasstarmachines.com
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I mentioned in the industry/business section there are 2 85Bs for sale now at good prices. One is on Ebay and the other is on Racingjunk. I wouldn't buy anything but the 85B.
speedmachine
Pro
Pro

Post by speedmachine »

Yep, I have used many machines, but the 85B is the only mill in my shop for a reason.
Like mentioned before, it is a very versatile machine. Easy to use and very accurate.
I use the BHJ block true fixture and have a table for the heads that came with the machine.
You can change from heads to blocks in a few minutes.
stock z/28
Pro
Pro

Post by stock z/28 »

Well, I have both, an 85 and an 85B.

Its very handy to be able to leave 1for heads and 1 for blocks.

I have had "0" issues with either machine.

I bought the 85 used in around 1977 and the "B" new in 1980, and both have been great.

I do a lot of angle milling and the heads that have the raised valve cover rail are a problem to correct the intake sides with the Storm. I finally just bought an Enco 10x54 vertical mill and leave an angle table for doing intake surfaces on this machine.

I really like the Storm mills, I do agree with care the cutters last quite a while. I made the mistake of tig welding a couple of spots on a head with silicon bronze and trying to mill the surface. Bad idea. wasted the cutters. I still use the silicon bronze at times but the heads just see either a grinder or sander now.

Good Luck

Jeff
Racer18
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer18 »

Who makes the variable speed drive for the 85b? Have searched and found nothing. I am also interested in the cutter head with indexable inserts. Is Storm-Vulcan still in business? I get no answer when calling them!
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

If you really want to wreck the cutters on your SV 85B, let someone cut a diesel head with pre-combustion cups in them!

There were a couple of companies selling indexable tool holders for the 85B. Honestly, you could take a standard generic holder, make a fixture to hold it, and use a mill to make your own. Just copy the hole and the slot from the regular cutter onto the new tool holder in the same location. You will need to be able to shim those cutters though, so that you can adjust them to the exact same height on the wheel, to yield the ultimate finish. That's why SV always had people send the entire cutting wheel to be sharpened, so the cutters ended up at the same height.

You can run the traverse with a relatively small variable speed electric motor using a lovejoy coupling on the end of the traverse drive shaft at the end of the arm. You can mount the motor with a couple of pieces of 1" x 1/4" aluminum bars found at your local hardware store or fastener store. That will give you a good controllable variable speed traverse. See this thread here:http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=24670

So long as the cutters are even reasonably sharp, if you'll rub paraffin, or even better, olive oil, on aluminum, it cuts very nice. Really sharp, properly maintain cutters yield an excellent finish.

What wears out is the edge of the table where the arm that carries the cutting wheel rides. If the felt sweeper is not maintained, the way oilers are not kept full, and the table is not kept clean, the table will wear. The table can be surfaced by anyone with a big enough grinder, but you most often have to break the machine all the way down. Figure on $1500 or more to grind a table, plus whatever it takes to break it down and transport it.

The inability to cut the intake face on cylinder heads with the valve cover rail hanging over the intake face (small block Ford, big block Chevy) is the only real drawback to the 85B I've really seen.

As others have said, neat fixturing is possible, and the BHJ Block True fixture is the ticket for doing accurate and fast block work. The worst thing about that job is that you have to raise or lower the bar in order to accommodate big changes in deck height. Keep notes on that, so you know exactly what is required for each block, then you won't waste any set up time. In fact, keep notes on heads, too, there's too much in the way of notes, tricks, and tips, to keep in your head.

It's a good, rock solid, simple old machine that is very affordable, and with reasonable care, will last decades. It's not super fast, or super trick, but it will do the job well, and make you money.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

Years back we had our own tool for sharpening the cutters. I spent about a half a day getting it just right. As soon as I walked away one of the guys that worked in the area was trying to pull the over head trolley around and got the chain in the wheel. Needless to say I was quite pissed.
stock z/28
Pro
Pro

Post by stock z/28 »

I actually have several cutting wheels for mine.

One wheel has replacable, indexable carbide inserts.

They have to be within about .0001" in height variation for a desireable finish (in my opinion).

Storm always did a decent job on sharpening the standard cutters and at one time there was a company in Ohio, that was doing them.

There may actually be a local company that can do them but I have not shone them the wheel yet.

They have sharpend some smaller schell cutters for me and have always done a good job.