Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Whitewater Racer
Pro
Pro

Former Packard plant in Detroit....

Post by Whitewater Racer »

Stumbled upon this article. Thought it was interesting on so many levels and from so many different directions.....be sure and check out the photo gallery. It was just kind of a head shaker for me.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/15/reno ... ntroversy/
-Gary Labrum
Wilder, ID

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the Thrill of SPEED overcomes the FEAR of DEATH!"
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Re: Former Packard plant in Detroit....

Post by Barbapapa »

The "I remember when all this was trees" is cluelessness and misses out on reality.
If you fly over Chicago you might look down and see some fields with traces of something having been there. That was a huge tank factory and probably one of the largest industrial buildings in history. Now it's almost entirely reclaimed by nature in what is a blink of an eye.
Anything we build is fragile and sure to disappear and be taken over by "trees" in time. That Packard factory was a brief moment in time of creativity, the trees that grow there should have "I remember when this was a factory" painted on them.
Mike S.
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

Art? What art? I don't see any art. That plant must have been something to behold in its day though.
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Barbapapa wrote:The "I remember when all this was trees" is cluelessness and misses out on reality....... That Packard factory was a brief moment in time of creativity, the trees that grow there should have "I remember when this was a factory" painted on them.
My thoughts exactly, Mike. Too bad a part of the original building wasn't restored and renovated into a Packard museum. Those were fine automobiles. My Mom had a mid-30s V-12 Packard touring car (dual cowl phaeton). It was 1 of only 3 made just like it. The actress Deanna Durbin had one and FDR had the other. That car is part of our family history and always comes up when we discuss that period in history just priour to the war years.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
BEDNAR1320
Pro
Pro

Post by BEDNAR1320 »

My dad worked there before the war
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WOULD RATHER BE ON THIS FORUM INSTEAD OF WORKING LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE RIGHT NOW?
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

That whole city reeks of coruption and decay... Trees won't help.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

The sign is obviously wrong. The sign painter is much to young to remember that the plant has been closed for 50 years.

The proper wording of the sign should be: "I remember when free enterprise on this site created thousands of jobs and fed thousands of families, kept moms off welfare and teens out of prisons."

Oh well, all good things must end.

But bad activist politics always continues. We never learn.
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

David Redszus wrote:The sign is obviously wrong. The sign painter is much to young to remember that the plant has been closed for 50 years.

The proper wording of the sign should be: "I remember when free enterprise on this site created thousands of jobs and fed thousands of families, kept moms off welfare and teens out of prisons."

Oh well, all good things must end.

But bad activist politics always continues. We never learn.

Can I get an AMEN?
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Amen..... [-o<
nomad

Post by nomad »

My mother's mother worked there in the early 20s. She worked there with my grandfather's sister. When I was a little tyke we would drive right by there on the way to visit my dad's mother down by the Detroit River. It always fascinated me because there were hundreds of new cars out in the lot. Just the thing for a little gearhead in training.

The movie "Grand Torino" takes place just blocks from there. How do I know? Saw a street sign in the movie then googled it.