2 circuit dominator conversion

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bmftech
2 circuit dominator conversion

Post by bmftech »

I want to convert my 8896 to a 2 circuit, can i use any 4150 metering block? could you use 2 metering blocks off a 650 holley?
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: 2 circuit dominator conversion

Post by jmarkaudio »

Not any, but 650 DP blocks should work OK. Mainwell exit or angle channels need to be opened up to .159. You have picts of them? Sounds like you've had enough of the crappy 8896 metering... #-o
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
bmftech

Post by bmftech »

I also have a 750 dominator that i could use or part out, i think they are 2 circuit?
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

The 750 Dominator is already 2 circuit and will work fine, including the metering blocks. You just need to replace the boosters and booster banjo's to eliminate the restriction of the huge step on the banjo's. Use the 12 hole booster inserts since you are replacing them, www.blp.com stocks all the stuff you need to do it.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
bmftech

Post by bmftech »

I am in the middle of converting my 750 dominator to a 1050 and i am stunned on what i found. I was pulling the booster pins out and when i got to the last one i pulled it out to find the end of the brass where it inserts into the booster almost completely bent over from when it was installed at holley. Now, i got the carb from my uncle and no 100% that it has never been touched, he got it from summit and never used it. The 1000000 question is dont holley wet flow all the carbs they build before they are sent out? There is no way this would of passed. I will post a pic soon.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Put Weber Power Plates on it. I've developed a method of converting the secondary power valve cavity into a fuel reserve which delivers fuel directly under the secondary main jets - the metering blocks already have a cavity to hold fuel under the jets, this takes it about ten steps further, not to mention the ease of tuning and increased torque and horsepower they offer.

Additionally, idle / off-idle circuitry and the main circuit can be trimmed with the Holley idle air and high speed air bleeds to reduce the cost of jets necessary for tuning.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
bmftech

Post by bmftech »

look at this.
IMG_0384_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jason snyder
Expert
Expert

Post by jason snyder »

Dang thats terrible !! good thing your plans made you pull the boosters !! Oh and just for the record , the best blocks i have found for the conversion are the 4412 , 2 barrel blocks . they have the deep main well plugs .
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

jason snyder wrote:Dang thats terrible !! good thing your plans made you pull the boosters !! Oh and just for the record , the best blocks i have found for the conversion are the 4412 , 2 barrel blocks . they have the deep main well plugs .
The deep well plugs is not a big deal really. There is much more to metering block tuning.

bmftech

Post by bmftech »

I still am amazed that carb came that way from holley.
T-flow
Expert
Expert

Post by T-flow »

Thats not that bad..... :shock: Tell the tech line guy that one. He will say you did it and it wasn't their fault. lol Thats great!
T-flow Cylinder Heads
www.tflowheads.com
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Talk to the guys at BLP (Bo Laws). They can get you the correct metering blocks and/or help you sort out the carb as a three circuit. You don't really need to change it over to a two circuit to make it work correctly but if that is what you want to do they can set you up with that also.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

I don't want to come across as a prick but, can somebody please fill me in. Why in the hell would somebody want to do this. I see this this on here all the time. All that does is cover up the existing problem that you already have. Why not just fix it like it needs to be and have it right. The time and money that it takes, you could have it sent to a good carburetor company(like myself) :D lol and not have to worry about.

www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

bmftech wrote:I want to convert my 8896 to a 2 circuit, can i use any 4150 metering block? could you use 2 metering blocks off a 650 holley?
Is this a bracket / drag car or more of a street deal?

bmftech

Post by bmftech »

I am using my hp 750 dominator and just converting it to the smaller boosters without the skirt, it is a 2 circuit. Then i want to experiment with my 3 circuit 8896 old body dominator and try to lean out the intermediate circuit a bit. It does run good at wot but it is a little fat at cruise and part throttle (but not bad) it does not foul plugs. Or i might send it to one of the carb guys on this forum and see what they can do with it.