Best factory GM 2 barrel carb

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Best factory GM 2 barrel carb

Post by levisnteeshirt »

whats the best factory " stock and totally stock " GM 2 barrel carb ??

i was reading today the 1970 400 sbc is bigger than a 1973 ,,

what about the factory 396 2 barrel ?

an inquiring dirt tracker friend needs to know
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Re: Best factory GM 2 barrel carb

Post by F1Fever »

what intake do you have to run? a stock GM 2bbl?
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

In 67 or 68 you could get a 2bbl on a 455 Olds
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

yeah they have to use an untouched intake and they do check them
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

How about something off of a truck or bus?
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

For 2 barrel circle track carb knowledge, call Dayton Umholtz, Kinetic Performance Carbs - 607-277-6462.
He can help improve the "stock" part too if your friend so desires.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Yet again, it costs more for the best built race 2-bbl carb than a off the shelf 390 CFB 4-bbl.

Every time I get involved in one of these "stock intake, stock 2-bbls" I always come away wishing they had chosen one spec aftermarket intake and carb. Easier and less expensive to find, easier to build, easier to tune, easier for tech to check, since there is only one possibility. Does away with arguing that this is one of them rare Canadian school bus non-EGR 600 CFM 2-bbl carbs and intakes and is really completely stock even though it looks like half of a Dominator, can't happen.

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

i think the 4412 500 cfm holley should be the standard " stock class " dirt racing carb

i had a friend that would buy every 5-600 dollar " stock " carb he could get his hands on 20 years ago because he was afraid his competition would

but this track requires a " stock " carb ,,,

i wonder if a person could graft a rottenchester front bowl onto a 6425 650 2 barrel ,,LOL
Cogburn
Expert
Expert

Post by Cogburn »

Any of the 1 3/8" venturi carbs can be made to run. The biggest stock venturi is 1 3/8". After that it is the fuel curve.

Good luck.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Rochester 2GC went as large as 450 - 500 cfm. Pretty good carb and yes, it's all in the fuel curve. More to be gained or lost in fuel curve than trying to cheat the venturi.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

What about the merc marine carbs. I have seen a couple local stock car guys use them and when i was tech guy they appeared to have a larger venturi then the rare school bus carbs that guys had. (they did not look like half a dominator)lol but still a bit larger and the guys that used them said they were a bit of work to get tuned............
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

hmm ,, i saw some of those carbs ,, wondered if they were bigger than the auto carbs ,,
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

I have some experience here. The local short track oval near where I grew up restricted us to only iron 2V intakes and the 2GC. They wouldn't let me run the factory aluminum 2V intake and any 2GC Rochester produced for a car, not a truck for no explained reason. I had the same discussion about why the 4412 should be used with him and he just didn't understand I guess. If you have specifications that need to be met as far as Venturi/barrel diameter I have been told the truck 2GC units have a slightly larger diameter than the car units. I have not come across a truck carburetor in particular, so I can not give you a 100% accurate answer as to the possible differences between the two. Sorry about that.

Ask if they require a stock SPECIFIC intake relative to the engine displacement and model year or not, because you might be able to run any 2V intake manifold that is iron plus a 500cfm 2GC carb if you can locate one. I was told by a guy who apparently used to race bombers said the 1960s 2GC units had removable jets I believe?? I am too young to know this off the top of my head, maybe one of the older gearheads among speedtalk could chime in to verify that or not.
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
agawam

Post by agawam »

the large 2G carb came in four sizes352 381 423 and 435 cfm, venturi sizes were 1 3/16, 1 1/4, 1 5/16, 1 3/8 respectively, the best intakes were 70-71 400 2bbl made in canada and some not marked canada but with casting numbers "6313" "3487" "3752" "8467" , and then some cheater intakes made by brezezky and others, sean murphy builds carbs as well as a few others in 500cfm,the @g carb is a great carb and the stuff is out there ,jets acc pumps power valves in stock or holley conversion, I have one of those marine carbs its huge but has onle one mixture screw also have a truck carb from a C60, seems to have a thicker base than the others, olds pontiac and buick put them on their 400s and 455 engines, in 68-9 chevy used them on the 396 with trailer package and 70-2 the 400 sbc, I just bought a carb off ebay still in factory plastic for a 400 455 pontiac for less than 60 bucks, a few years ago I put a carb and intake on a chevy 305,replaced the sad duo-jet, the car would roast the tires after that, the 2G carb is my favorite, everytime I'm in the boneyard I check for them and grab what I can, try one with a 1 or 2 inch spacer, low end torque unreal, I first noticed this carb when I bought a 69 belaire 4 door with an open chamber 396 with a 2bbl and turbo 400,9:1cr for 50 bucks, this car would literally rip the rubber from the wheels, so I carried two spares and a jack all the time, thinking it was an improvement I put a 4bbl and intake on and it was a dog so I returned to the deuce
old man old school hotrodder
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Agawam, you have posted some great information and helped more than one person as well!

Thank you :D
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports