F1 Fever....Vortec 906 Flow charts and more.......

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cylinder Head Works Inc.

F1 Fever....Vortec 906 Flow charts and more.......

Post by Cylinder Head Works Inc. »

Out of all the heads in the last 13 years that still peak intrest has to be the Vortec . Out of all the heads produced from GM in the last 40 years for the small block chevy the Vortec "First Generation " style went out with a BANG.... leaving a major influance on the rest of the after market with its GM engineered trait " Centered Sparkplug " location. Take a look at how many current manufactures have production heads " Vortec Style" ....Everybody!! Moving the plug into the chamber has its benefits on the Street / Strip and most definatly Circle Track , but not an ALL OUT Drag Race Head. And What about the SWIRL ..........this is the first head produced with a noticable " Purpose Build Reduction in Swirl " What Do GM Engineers know that we don't ????????????

Originally back in the late 90s alot of head porters had problems Understanding What was going on, the old 462, 292 porting styles didn't work......the Vortec has an Overshoot Short Turn and the Swirl thing not understood. Here's a flow chart from the last GM 906 I ported.....the flow numbers are average but in my OPINION The casting Thickness is way more important for engine relability in service than awsome flow numbers.....the casting are too thin to begin with!!!

The above Head was build for a B Sprint Car with valve spring rules ...........its getting late bed time .

John Yelich
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: F1 Fever....Vortec 906 Flow charts and more.......

Post by Keith Morganstein »

interesting take on the design ideas.

Mikes Porting Service (highVE) http://www.mikesportingservice.net/ did some development work for me on the EQ350C Vortec replacement heads for rules restricted circle track class. The EQ castings are much nicer and cleaner than the GM906's, although a virtual clone of the 906. These heads outperform the 180CC dart platinum's on the track, despite being considered a 170CC vs. 180 CC intake runner. I believe Mike credits the port design, height of short turn etc...

These are EQ CH350C (vortec replacements) "no porting rule" with 2.02/1.60 (instead of stock 1.94/1.50) and blended within rules. Very careful attention to the blend and the valve job yielded this.

EQ CH350C, 2.02/1.60 "no porting rule"

Lift - I / E

.100 - 79 / 56

.200 - 153 / 94

.300 - 200 /149

.400 - 238 / 177

.500 - 255 / 186

.600 - 266 / 193
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

I'm surprised we don't see more of the GMPP small port bowtie vortecs on street/strip vehicles. Seems to me that this would be a great choice for a street 355/383 engine.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

The vortec type heads work VERY Well on engines that make 375 to 425 HP= For me, that is a mild street 350 engine. I will addmit, I have not seen any other head work better in that HP range.. However, when you move the HP level up to 500 or more HP , the vortec can NOT keep up with say a small AFR head== At the 500 HP level, THe AFR head is going to be 50 or 60 HP better at high RPM. As long as the engine is in the 375 to 425 HP range, The vortec is a best bang for the buck winner.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Your charts are near identical (ported) and spot on (stock) to what I got doing mine (The good 062 castings.)
My ported peak intake flow was just a tad lower than yours. I used a 2.02" valve.
I did not measure swirl when flow testing.
I also did not port mine to the max for the same reason.
If you want a big port head, start with a big port head.

Can't complain on the performance result. Especially the engine's overall torque output.
These heads exceeded my expectations.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

Hi CHW, very nice, thanks for posting these up, I too have had very good success with the Vortecs for street builds, they offer all the power and economy needed in a street machine. Those are some very nice charts!
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Cylinder Head Works Inc.

Post by Cylinder Head Works Inc. »

Adding to the Vortec topic here are some of the early Bow-Tie stuff Gen 1..........

The heads were tested with GM valves from a Fast Burn head..........not very impressive at first..... they responded to larger valve and porting quite well.

John Yelich
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Thanks for the bowtie head info. I'm surprised your tests did not show the 185cc head to be any better than the 906. Good to know.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

very nice Charts and Data
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com