highest hp with a wedge head?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bc
Pro
Pro
highest hp with a wedge head?

Post by bc »

What is the highest hp that you guys have seen with a inline valve wedge type heads? I believe that some of the bigger Mopars are getting close to 1100hp or might be over. But is 1200 to 1300 possible with an inline valve head and no side cant?
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

I bet you would have a hard time making 1200 with a 460 inch small block with Little Chiefs, let alone an inline head.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Never thought of that question before. So what would be the most "capable" in-line head that would fit on bigger engines, First one that comes to mind is the Brewer big block mopar head. I've only seen one set, and that was 13 years ago. They were not ported. I think they used 6.4" OAL valves. 10 degree (or less) valve angle. I do remember the intake floor being well over 3" from the deck. Since these could fit on a pretty big inch motor, they could be a possibility. "Looked" to have more to offer than B1's.

They looked pretty much like the ProKing McLarean SBF heads in design.
TSTOM

Post by TSTOM »

The best B1 we ever had on our dyno(and we've had a lot) made 1043hp...fairly conservative Stuska dyno, 604 cu in,sheetmetal manifold etc. and our B1 stuff has always been about 80 to 100 down from our comparable Big Chief stuff
We dynoed some Brewer and it wasn't anything great The only other head available is something called the pro stock option B1 which was the early Wayne county stuff(I believe) The Brewer head is suprisingly similar to this head
In addition to ,as Ron says lack of short turn height ,when we enlarge the int we must shrink or move the ex to the cyl wall like 1.78 ex to get a 2.4 int so if someone has made a "real" 1100 hp with a wedge it must be a good one I here this but when the cars get to the track they run more like 950 to 1000hp
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

inline wedge

Post by Gary Blair »

Not Mopar, but I know of a 424 CI FE Ford that makes 944 HP. It has an 11 degree valve incline (stock is 15). The valves are moved up on the bore .250 as well.

It seems the key to making big power with an inline head is getting the intake valve pierce point above the bore centerline. I'm thinking the charge has a better opportunity to enter the center of the bore. That's pretty much how the Yates head works.

FYI Foltz bought the Pro King from McClaren. Scaling that up to a big block might prove interesting. :wink:
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

Silly me, I thought you meant small block!
bc
Pro
Pro
Post by bc »

Gary, what heads were used on the FE engine? Also how were the valves moved, offset dowel pins or actually moved in the head?
phoenix
Pro
Pro

Post by phoenix »

TSTOM, Tell me more about the Pro stock option B1. Are you refering to the TS head or is this a different head all together? Is it a stock bore spacing head or wayne county b/s "4.84" what sets it apart from the origional b1?
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

heads

Post by Gary Blair »

bc wrote:Gary, what heads were used on the FE engine? Also how were the valves moved, offset dowel pins or actually moved in the head?
I'll get the info for you.
DavidNJ
Post by DavidNJ »

Aren't some CFE headed cars way up there?
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Which head are you refering too david? the 10 degree stuff?
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

phoenix wrote:TSTOM, Tell me more about the Pro stock option B1. Are you refering to the TS head or is this a different head all together? Is it a stock bore spacing head or wayne county b/s "4.84" what sets it apart from the origional b1?
Not sure if it's the same Tom was talking about, but years back Koffel had a unadvertised "+1/2" (valve OAL) B1. At least, I don't remember them being advertised.

TSTom, did you get to "flog" the Brewer? I was wondering if it was a thick enough casting to be effective when opened up to the valve sizes possible with say a 4.5" bore with the later siamesed blocks.

Never knew why they didn't take off.
bc
Pro
Pro
Post by bc »

I know of a couple Pontiacs that are making around 1050hp to 1100hp. I figured getting much over 1100hp with any inline valve head would take some during.
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

If i remember correctly the dodge boys ran around 193-194 mph with the wedge deal. That would put them in the 1200hp area. Of course whether that was n/a is another topic of discussion. :D
shawn
ChrisU
Pro
Pro
Post by ChrisU »

airflowdevelop wrote:Which head are you refering too david? the 10 degree stuff?
There's a lot of development in the CFE 10 degree head. Seems to work pretty good.
Uratchko Racing Engines
248-755-5556