Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
It depend's on who does this!

Post by pdq67 »

Out east, the natural gas and oil companies are hydraulic fracturing the subrock to extract more gas. They won't even tell the EPA what is in the liquid that is used to apply the fracturing pressure and some people are VERY afraid that our aquifiers will get contaminated and it will ruin them, you know, drinking water and such.

Well out west they want to tap into geothermal heat to create electric energy with and have ran up against the fact that hydro-cracking the subrock to extract hot water and steam can create earthquakes.

This process to get at steam is running up against opposition but the oil and gas companies continue daily!

There is NO difference in what is going on, imho.......

Just think about this for a bit.

pdq67
Monkeywrench

Re: It depend's on who does this!

Post by Monkeywrench »

http://citypaper.net/articles/2010/02/1 ... baby-drill

They won't disclose the complete makeup, but benzene is regularly found in fractured drilling waste water (diesel fuel is and still sometimes used as a bit lubricant).

Due to court orders over the years, the EPA usually considers a contaminate by its known carcinogenic effect on humans. As such, benzene is high on the list. It doesn't help that the EPA only has data and established maximums for like 15% (forget the exact number off the top of my head) of all industrial chemicals known to exist.
-Bob
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: It depend's on who does this!

Post by pdq67 »

Back again, as I see it and I've been wrong before, EPA just a day or three ago has finally started to look into Hydraulic Fracking to see just how it relate's to the environ, like contaminating our ground WATER!!

pdq67