Next year in Nascar with efi

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

vintageracer
Re: Next year in Nascar with efi

Post by vintageracer »

NASCAR by bringing in Toyota managed to reduce TV ratings as well as race track attendance. They forgot what brought people to the races and in front of the TV. I was a fan since 1963 but since 2006 will not watch anymore. Bringing in EFI is another dumb move that is completely unnecessary. This is my opinion but I can assure you I am not the only ex fan that feels this way!
If it was easy all of my neighbors would race too!
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

I have never understood the attraction to watching 500 laps around an Oval Track, probably why I'm not a Nascar fan.

I don't see the EFI being a bad thing, I'm not sure I could say the same thing about the body work, that when unpainted, you couldn't tell the difference between a Ford, Dodge, GM Product or a Toyota. Car of tomorrow, was that the catch phase used to describe the new changes etc? All engine with the same bore spacing etc. Exact same cars with different stickers?
Alan Jones

It's Ok to disagree, just don't be disagreeable!
DOHCPower
Pro
Pro

Post by DOHCPower »

Im with you la360, the racing itself has never been exciting to me, but I have a ton of respect for the technology in the cars.

vintageracer, why did you stop watching when Toyota entered?
For man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Denis Diderot
vintageracer

Post by vintageracer »

The reason that I stopped watching NASCAR after Toyota arrived is because I felt that for some odd reason it should be an American manufacturer's series. Maybe I am a redneck but that is why I was a fan as well as a participant. I am sure that some of the drop of attendance is because of that reason. Toyota is not your or my friend. Their handling of the unintended accelleration issue should be proof enough.
If it was easy all of my neighbors would race too!
slickta

Post by slickta »

NASCAR died on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500. It was already sick and struggling, but that is when everyone woke up. Not that Earnhardt was NASCAR, but he was one of the key figures in the sport that brought it to the fame it has. The crash showed what everyone knew, that the cars were not as much fun watching when following each other around, and brought it to the forefront.

The change to fuel injection is not going to fix any problem they are having with spectators. The car is what will change it. They are too aero dependent. Put it back in the hands of the drivers not the engineers.
JMO
mike walsh
Expert
Expert

Post by mike walsh »

vintageracer wrote:The reason that I stopped watching NASCAR after Toyota arrived is because I felt that for some odd reason it should be an American manufacturer's series. Maybe I am a redneck but that is why I was a fan as well as a participant. I am sure that some of the drop of attendance is because of that reason. Toyota is not your or my friend. Their handling of the unintended accelleration issue should be proof enough.
Although I still watch, Amen to Toyota and their Kamakazie car care, no friend of mine!
mikeeebikey@yahoo.com

Drag racers prayer:
As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Public assistance + NASCAR = panem et circenses
Miss'63Stingray

Post by Miss'63Stingray »

melsie68 wrote:For the life of me I can't figure out what this thread is about...
ditto :-s ](*,) :?:
singray-a-holic (aka: Sara)
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Miss'63Stingray wrote:
melsie68 wrote:For the life of me I can't figure out what this thread is about...

Bread & circuses (If my grasp of Latin is less feeble than I thought...)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Miss'63Stingray

Post by Miss'63Stingray »

MadBill wrote:
Miss'63Stingray wrote:

Bread & circuses (If my grasp of Latin is less feeble than I thought...)
LOL!

You know, I'm from Texas (now in WA) and I my church group and I (in middle school) got to open the American Flag down on the field for the NASCAR races... about as close as I've ever come to the cars and drivers... and I loves me the smell of burnt rubber! 8)
singray-a-holic (aka: Sara)
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

slickta wrote:NASCAR died on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500. It was already sick and struggling, but that is when everyone woke up. Not that Earnhardt was NASCAR, but he was one of the key figures in the sport that brought it to the fame it has. The crash showed what everyone knew, that the cars were not as much fun watching when following each other around, and brought it to the forefront.

The change to fuel injection is not going to fix any problem they are having with spectators. The car is what will change it. They are too aero dependent. Put it back in the hands of the drivers not the engineers.
JMO
NASCAR started getting sick in roughly the late 80's when they brought in a series of other unnecessary rules (restrictor plates, radial tires and front linkage in the steering) which spoiled the racing. Up until then the racing was spectacular. Lots of GREAT drivers and every race was the Dale Earnhardt show (irregardless of who won) with special guest NASCAR. The show dwindled and the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 was truly the end of the show.

IMHO anyone that wasn't around to watch NASCAR in the 80's, or earlier, live, missed a lot. NASCAR is about a broad fan base and money now, not quality shows for a specific fan base. They failed to realize (or didn't care) that the broader the fan base, the less hardcore the average support becomes. Now they're chasing after the fans that don't really care much anyway, in the long run. Fortunately for them there will always be some people that will watch anything, irregardless of what car/engine they run and the quality of racing.

The changes they need to make to get my interest (currently sitting at zero) back, are changes they will never, ever, make.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Everybody has their opinions, and that's fine. Toyota's recall problems? When I heard one "victim's" description of putting the car into neutral, turning off the ignition, and pulling up the emergency brake (a completely mechanical device), all having "no effect" I started thinking this may be another class-action crisis brought to us by lawyers. Remember Audi's problems years ago...
EFI in cup cars?....who cares when the car bodies, chassis, and engines can't be identified according to brand? Does anyone actually believe that the carb reduces the connection people feel with the race cars vs. the ones they drove to the track? I've never met a non-gearhead who gave a happy damn about carb vs. EFI. Many don't know what they're using now.
I think they should be allowed 6 Strongberg 97's on small tracks, and 2 at Daytona.