Re: 441 chevy heads

Post by randy331 »

I'd say if someone claims 300cfm thru a 165cc 441 head,
I'd suggest,
Put a spark plug back in the plug hole,
Put a stronger spring on the ex valve,
Check for leakage, and subtract that from the flow #s,
recalibrate the flow bench,
and double check the method used to determine cc volume.

Randy
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

don oconnor wrote:building a 255 hp 350 chevy super stock motor using the441 castings--is the chance of going into the waterjacket when installing roller cam springs? any suggestions------thanks
How the heck did this go into a cfm pissen match?????????

As one person stated .090 on the original seat will keep you out of water. Add .100 to original valve height and you will be .010 higher than stock.

I would like to go the cfm route but..... Get the best out of what you have. It won't be any where near 250.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
90boxchevy

Post by 90boxchevy »

Need some input...rite now i'm in the process of tryin to add a few upgrades to my stock motor on a budget bcuz i'm a full time student...its a 350tbi..i just ordered a lunati voodoo cam .468/.489 lift i have a edelbrock performer intake and holley 650 carb....i had bought me a set of #441 heads and was wondering would this combination work best wit the stock heads or the #441 heads....was told they were 300hp heads ...gonna use the stock bottom end...also wanted to know around what compression ratio would i be at wit the #441 heads bcuz rite now with the stock set up i'm at a 9:3:1
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

I just did some work on a 305 super stock deal, 1.84 intake, 1.5 ex. Heads went 238 and 209. Engine made 525hp. You need the shim trick, and set the cup or locator on top. Needs a longer valve. This engine had some 1.625 diameter springs, but I would use the pac 1.5 diameter dual spring thats 300/1000.

Frank
MPac
Expert
Expert

Post by MPac »

90boxchevy wrote:Need some input...rite now i'm in the process of tryin to add a few upgrades to my stock motor on a budget bcuz i'm a full time student...its a 350tbi..i just ordered a lunati voodoo cam .468/.489 lift i have a edelbrock performer intake and holley 650 carb....i had bought me a set of #441 heads and was wondering would this combination work best wit the stock heads or the #441 heads....was told they were 300hp heads ...gonna use the stock bottom end...also wanted to know around what compression ratio would i be at wit the #441 heads bcuz rite now with the stock set up i'm at a 9:3:1
Stick with the stock heads there vortec heads and I would say with the tbi setup and just get an aftermarket thorottle body and intake because f0r your app you'll have better cold starts milage and power then a carb setup. Is this for a camaro?
matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose
90boxchevy

Post by 90boxchevy »

MPac wrote:
90boxchevy wrote:Need some input...rite now i'm in the process of tryin to add a few upgrades to my stock motor on a budget bcuz i'm a full time student...its a 350tbi..i just ordered a lunati voodoo cam .468/.489 lift i have a edelbrock performer intake and holley 650 carb....i had bought me a set of #441 heads and was wondering would this combination work best wit the stock heads or the #441 heads....was told they were 300hp heads ...gonna use the stock bottom end...also wanted to know around what compression ratio would i be at wit the #441 heads bcuz rite now with the stock set up i'm at a 9:3:1
Stick with the stock heads there vortec heads and I would say with the tbi setup and just get an aftermarket thorottle body and intake because f0r your app you'll have better cold starts milage and power then a carb setup. Is this for a camaro?
no its a 1990 chevy caprice with the tbi...i've been doin some research and i've read that the stock heads thats on there are no good(there not vortec)
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back from the dead...

Butch,

Will a stock, heavy casting '70/'71 400 SB head w/ the 1.60" exhaust valve be a better head to play with?

pdq67
MPac
Expert
Expert

Post by MPac »

90boxchevy wrote:
MPac wrote:
no its a 1990 chevy caprice with the tbi...i've been doin some research and i've read that the stock heads thats on there are no good(there not vortec)

unless you want to spend lots of money with porting and bigger valve seats and spring pockets then I would not use those heads it would be cheaper to get a set of patriot performance heads from jegs they are vorterc and they pretty cheap to 695 for the pair. with that setup you have and these heads and a good aftermarket distributor your looking at 385 to 415 hp at the flywheel.
matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose
don oconnor

Post by don oconnor »

i think some of you missed the piont------the 441 heads are for a 255 hp nhra super stock drag car --casting #'s have to match per motor and hp claimed