Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

RednGold86Z
Expert
Expert

Looking to hire EFI expert(s)

Post by RednGold86Z »

Not sure where to post this, assuming it's even allowed, but our company is looking to expand a little. I want to hire someone with extensive EFI experience - system specifications and calibration - and that can troubleshoot problems and even design control algorithms.

The catch - the job is in China. Lots of travel (road tests all over the country). Job is full scope from system parts specifications, to installation, engine dyno mapping, to in car calibration, to road tests (hot, cold, high altitude), and to emission test with EOBD testing. You don't need to have experience in all areas, but you'll soon get it working here. An engineering degree is highly desired (Mechanical Engineering is what I have in mind, but everyone is welcome to present your case). If you're very experienced, there's a chance to become a team or department manager very quickly.
Almost all expenses are paid, and US taxes are 0 if you work overseas for 330 days/year.
We do mostly OEM work, for smaller 3 & 4 cylinder cars, 1 & 2 cyl. motorcycles, CNG/LPG conversions, but also I'll be starting sales in the US aftermarket soon. We're also working on a transmission controller and a common rail diesel ECU.

PM me for more info (such as contact information).
Thanks,
Jeremy
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: Looking to hire EFI expert(s)

Post by David Redszus »

I know of several who meet your requirements and could do a superb job. Their consulting fee is $2000 per day plus all expenses including travel and living.
RednGold86Z
Expert
Expert

Post by RednGold86Z »

David Redszus wrote:I know of several who meet your requirements and could do a superb job. Their consulting fee is $2000 per day plus all expenses including travel and living.
Quite a steep pricetag! If you could kindly supply me with some proof (or just some kind of evidence or tell me who's hiring) of that salary range, it'd help me get quite a raise!! I keep telling the bosses that I'm a bargain (I meet the requirements).

But, I'm looking for someone to move over here full-time at a fraction of that, so, the experience level is just a wishlist. It's more of an adventure and learning experience than anything else. It'll take a brave soul to make the leap. I think it's a fun, exciting, and rewarding job.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

that's a heck of a "wishlist" there...

too bad i don't meet your wishlist specifications....
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
RednGold86Z
Expert
Expert

Post by RednGold86Z »

F1Fever wrote:that's a heck of a "wishlist" there...

too bad i don't meet your wishlist specifications....
Anyone that's played with engines and EFI could apply. The more experience, the higher the chances, but the salary isn't very high, so my hopes are also not very high of getting a true guru. A good head on yer shoulders, and a very good understanding of EFI and engines, with hands on experience (you don't need to be an OEM calibrator, but you will become one).

Fresh out of college is fine too, if you have personal experience or were doing engine/efi in FSAE, and are a nut about EFI looking up whatever info you can find on the internet. Hands on experience outweighs formal education. An EFI University graduate is good enough I think, but I'm not sure. After finishing up at this job, you'll be able to ace that stuff.

But, the job is definitely interesting. Travelling China is wild too. A month ago I returned from -36C cold testing on the border of Russia. In October I went on a 4300m high altitude trip to "Shangrila" (XiangGeLiLa). We used to do hot testing (40-45C) in Turpan (TuLuFan), but the riots got that place locked down - even no internet or phone service. Golmud (GeErMu) is our most popular high altitude destination, but usually is connected to the Turpan trip, so we found another place. We also tested at a mountain within a few km of the Sichuan earthquake 1 year before the quake. Emission testing is done at various places - ShangHai, XiangFan, TianJin, ChangChun, Wuxi, and a few other places. We have current projects in ChengDu, LiuZhou, TaiZhou, ZhanJiang, and a few more places. I'm headed to ShangHai next month to catch the F1 race for my 4th time. I own an apartment on Hainan island (called China's Hawaii). We're now about a 1 hour high speed train ride from Hong Kong - and we have an office there as well. We travel to meet customers all over the place. In a year, expect at least 10 trips around the country. Everything is cheaper here. You can eat like a king for $10 - and it's good REAL Chinese food - not the boring crap they have in the US Chinese restaurants. And then there's the whole designing EFI systems and playing with them, and learning how to control an engine. We've got an engine and chassis dyno, some emissions equipment, a dozen lambda meters or so, 3 current test cars, 8 motorcycle/scooter projects, 5 types of ECU, 3 more being designed, current OEM production with methanol/gasoline dual fuel, and the list is growing every day.

It's a tough decision to move to China for a few years - I don't expect many married people trying to make this leap, which probably narrows the field a bit. It takes an open mind to accept some of the ways here, and to try some of the foods after you know what it is. But, I'm glad I made the leap. It was supposed to be for 3 months back in late 2004...
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

RednGold86Z wrote:
David Redszus wrote:I know of several who meet your requirements and could do a superb job. Their consulting fee is $2000 per day plus all expenses including travel and living.
Quite a steep pricetag! If you could kindly supply me with some proof (or just some kind of evidence or tell me who's hiring) of that salary range, it'd help me get quite a raise!! I keep telling the bosses that I'm a bargain (I meet the requirements).

But, I'm looking for someone to move over here full-time at a fraction of that, so, the experience level is just a wishlist. It's more of an adventure and learning experience than anything else. It'll take a brave soul to make the leap. I think it's a fun, exciting, and rewarding job.
The folks that I know who can meet or exceed your wishlist have their own companies or work for high priced consulting firms. Industry does not typically offer those kinds of rewards for top engineer talent and so they don't get it.

Someone I know very well spent a year in China as a Senior Project Manager. It's a fantastic place to visit and explore. Unfortunately, you end up leaving behind much more knowledge and experience than you get.

You might try the Formula SAE website. There are a lot of kids coming out of engineering school who are having bit of a hard time finding work in their field.

Did you have a chance to climb the Great Wall yet? It's an exhausting, difficult climb and when you finally get to the top, you find a souvenier shop ready to sell you a T shirt.
RednGold86Z
Expert
Expert

Post by RednGold86Z »

David Redszus wrote: You might try the Formula SAE website. There are a lot of kids coming out of engineering school who are having bit of a hard time finding work in their field.

Did you have a chance to climb the Great Wall yet? It's an exhausting, difficult climb and when you finally get to the top, you find a souvenier shop ready to sell you a T shirt.
Yeah, I still read the FSAE.com forum website, and will post there as a last resort - it's probably the best chance at getting someone within the price range. I used to do the engine/efi for Iowa State back in 99-01. I'm going to ship them one of our new motorcycle systems this weekend. I also judged for electrical things FSAE West the first year it was held, back when I worked in California.

Also, yes, been up the great wall near Beijing a few times - got the T-shirt too ;-) I'm only 30 now and pretty strong, so it wasn't too bad. I brought my parents there before my wedding a few years ago - they didn't go all the way (though my dad could have - he's 60, but looks like 45). I also went there back in 2003 on my first trip to China (for work) - spent 3 months in Beijing that trip - not sure what happened to that shirt - I think it's still in my junk storage in SLO or I gave it away or something.

As far as hiring someone - I think it's good that no one is qualified at the price my bosses are willing to pay - strengthens my hand when it comes down to river card.