quick fuel vs pro systems.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sbc84
quick fuel vs pro systems.

Post by sbc84 »

Just wanted opinions on both companys. Who would you get to work on your carb. Which one makes more hp and tq.
tcarda

Re: quick fuel vs pro systems.

Post by tcarda »

I have never owned a Quick Fuel carb so I can't say anything good or bad about them. I have owned one 4150 style 950 cfm, a 1200 cfm Dominator, and a 1600 cfm Dominator. When I dynoed the motors the carbs were set really well from Patrick and all we had to do is jet up the secondaries a little. I will say that when I left Patrick messages on his voicemail that he returned my calls in a timely mannor. So, I have had good luck and referred others to him and they have all had good luck too. Just my 2 cents worth.
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

Every QF I've used has been less than stellar. Every Pro Systems I've used has outperformed what it replaced. That being said, I know that custom built QFs are pretty good.
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

Run a Pro Systems carb in the past. When i first bolted the carb on it was so rich the car would hardly run. I had a lean and rich curve chart to go by. The only way i got that carb to run was lean it way out on the jet sizes. I have talked to others and said they had the same problem. But after tweaking it ran well. Did i really see much of a performance gain, i really dont know. The carb did idle very good. I did not have another 850 carb to compare it too. Just my experience.
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

I know that Pro Systems buys a lot of their parts from QuickFuel.
Drag Chevette
Pro
Pro

Post by Drag Chevette »

I personally would go with the QFT........

I have had both carbs apart and looked at both real close with Pin Gauges and Calipers...
In my Opinion the QFT carb was over jetted but a simple jet change fixed the fuel curve.

the other took a bit more to fix....but if you have a good O2 gauge and know how to tune a carburetor it can be fixed as well with some time and effort.

both are good units when you get the tuned out by using a wideband....depends on how much you want to spend.
www.marksullense85carburetors.com
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

None of the above. Although I do wish Holley made a 1450 like QF. Try BLP or APD.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Jay C.

Post by Jay C. »

I highly doubt you would be disappointed with Pro Systems. I'm not a fan of Patrick when it comes to his attitude at times, but the carbs he produces are very good. Pro Systems prices are actually quite good compared to some others as well. That said, we dynoed a 555 a couple of weeks ago with a Pro Systems 1200, and a stock Holley 1250(it had the PV's plugged). The 1250 ran very well and made 15 more hp pretty much throughout the test range from 5000 up to 7200. Not apples to apples but you might be surprised how little is actually changed on some custom carbs. Take away the shiny colorful billet pieces (which don't do much to help performance) and they are often very close to what you would get from Holley. Now when you get into custom venturi sizes and stuff that has to fit a set of rules, but can be modified within those rules, that's a different story! Most WOT drag race carbs are not that trick. JMHO.
PRO SYSTEMS

Post by PRO SYSTEMS »

Jay C you are correct I do tell my stalkers what I "actually" think. I don't play the PC thing with them. I call them out. Most of my stalkers (every successful company has them...when I lose them I will worry) are here just to rattle cages and thump their chests or stir up emotions, they really are not trying to help in most cases. They try to come up with an angle to say the exact opposite of whatever you say and prove their case. They have an agenda, hidden or otherwise.

Think of them as Democrats versus Republicans. They are obsessive compulsive types most often that really hate it when they see someone succeed and it keeps them up nights and they even relish when they see a failure even though we should all have a common goal.

So don't take it too serious.

Anyway, If you knew me in real life, I am good people and I care about my folks.

As far as dyno results go, a 1250 with its big throttle blade on a engine that size is usually good for at least 15-25 h.p. over the 2" blade 1200 you tested on the dyno. But on the racetrack the 1250 is typically slower overall in that size of an engine and a little inconsistent in operation on the front half of the racetrack (playing the averages).

So playing the averages the 1200 2" blade carb would be a better call in the real world.

However, there are exceptions to every rule.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
bruce69camaro

Post by bruce69camaro »

I personally like Pro Systems myself.
I have one on my car and fired it for the first time and it was set up just right.
I also know a few others that run them and they have not one complaint.
Every time I had a question, I sent Patrick an email and I always got a fast response from him.
Performance and good customer service is very important to me and Pro Systems has both.
But this is just my opinion.

Bruce
new engine builder
Expert
Expert

Post by new engine builder »

If you give Patrick from Pro Systems the correct information you will get a carb. that is damn near perfect.
If you don't know any specs. about your engine combination then you may get a carb. that is a little on the "rich" side.
Would you rather burn holes in your pistons?
I use a lot of Quick Fuel carbs for my street builds and the work very well.
If it's a full on race deal then the Pro System is the only way it go.
slickta

Post by slickta »

I run a Quick Fuel carb and have no complaints with the performance or the customer support from them. I did have to make some jetting changes to mine after I got it, but they helped me out. I had to remove the p/v in the rear and just jetted it the same as the front. I ended up dynoing with the recommended jetting and it was spot on. I have also used APD carbs. I had one that we could not get right. We as in APD and I. They ended up refunding me the full price of the carb. I also had another APD at the same time that was run on our drag car and it was the best carb we ever ran and was still on the car when we sold it. It was more consistent and we had to do nothing to it, but adjust the idle speed. I would recommend either one based on operation and customer support. I have never used a Pro Systems but have heard nothing but good about them also.
dbusch
Expert
Expert

Post by dbusch »

PRO SYSTEMS wrote:Jay C you are correct I do tell my stalkers what I "actually" think. I don't play the PC thing with them. I call them out. Most of my stalkers (every successful company has them...when I lose them I will worry) are here just to rattle cages and thump their chests or stir up emotions, they really are not trying to help in most cases. They try to come up with an angle to say the exact opposite of whatever you say and prove their case. They have an agenda, hidden or otherwise.

Think of them as Democrats versus Republicans. They are obsessive compulsive types most often that really hate it when they see someone succeed and it keeps them up nights and they even relish when they see a failure even though we should all have a common goal.

Anyway, If you knew me in real life, I am good people and I care about my folks.

As far as dyno results go, a 1250 with its big throttle blade on a engine that size is usually good for at least 15-25 h.p. over the 2" blade 1200 you tested on the dyno. But on the racetrack the 1250 is typically slower overall in that size of an engine and a little inconsistent in operation on the front half of the racetrack (playing the averages).

So playing the averages the 1200 2" blade carb would be a better call in the real world.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
he is right about the 1250. I have seen 30hp over a 1000hp 4150 carb. guess what, it was no faster at the track. if it had been a 1050 dominator with maybe a 10-15hp improvement, it would have shown. I did this test, one Pro 1000hp vs. 1050 Pro domintor, and it was worth .12 in ET, this was an NMRA hot street deal back in 2003.

the Pro stuff is good. they tune well too, which shows they are responsive on the combos they are designed for.
Jay C.

Post by Jay C. »

PRO SYSTEMS wrote:Jay C you are correct I do tell my stalkers what I "actually" think. I don't play the PC thing with them. I call them out. Most of my stalkers (every successful company has them...when I lose them I will worry) are here just to rattle cages and thump their chests or stir up emotions, they really are not trying to help in most cases. They try to come up with an angle to say the exact opposite of whatever you say and prove their case. They have an agenda, hidden or otherwise.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Yeah, I had a customer that wanted a 1250 alcohol carb for his 509. I built him an 1150, and he was unhappy at first. I tried to explain the reasons, but he was in love with the "1250" number. I told him we would back to back it with a 1250 at the track, and if the 1250 was noticably better, I would trade it out. We'll see. The 1250's I've built will out run any 1050 I've tested, even on a little 489. But all the gain seems to be in the first 330'. The best so far I have tested on that size engine has been an 1150. I've built HP1000 based alky carbs that will run within .01-.02 of a good 1050. 1/8th mile here.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

A couple of thing to look at with the larger carb, on the dyno look at what effect it has on peak torque, not just HP. If it picks up torque at or even below peak torque it should pick up time as well. A 1250 on my small block matched a 1050 from a few hundred RPM BELOW peak torque and made more torque and HP from there. It was worth .05 in the 1/8 and a .10 in the 1/4 mile. Not always the case, induction and combustion efficiency will play into how large you can go and see a gain.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.