pro-comp heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jg327
Re: pro-comp heads

Post by jg327 »

Hi guys, I'm new here. Have 2 sets of the pro-comp 210cc 58cc chamber. I got beat up real bad about buying them in few other forums. Man they was real hard on me and 2 other guys buying them call them junk, it seems like if you say something good about them - you better like out and the war is on funny. I had 1 set of the AFR heads I and paid $1850.00 I was going to put them on 327/30 over sbc . I start seeing the pro-comp heads showing up in MD on few cars at 2 of the race tracks. The cars was running in the 1/4 miles 12s 11s 10s, 2 cars was running 9s I had talk to the drivers that was running the heads. And they said good heads with some port work they will fly plus the extra money save can go back in the car. So I sold my AFR heads and bought 2 sets of the pro-comp heads. I bought them last year in May I paid $535.00 each set with valves and springs 1 set was for 550 lift and the other set was for 600 lift. The are CNC pro-comp heads. What I was looking for is 450 hp out of the 327, the motor was dyno last year at 6200 rpm the 327 made 523 hp. And the heads was check out at a machine shop the only thing they did was work on the exhaust ports 2.5 hours of work. And they said very good casting for the money. The other set of heads went on a chevy S10 350/40 TPI motor this made at 5800 rpm 468 hp. I was please and happy with the buying them. The shop could not find anything bad about the heads when they check them.

Here is a few pics of the heads

[/imgImage
z28freak84

Post by z28freak84 »

change that nasty air cleaner assembly for a real filter...... #-o
1985 original SILVER Metallic Camaro IROC-Z
1995 ZX-11 NINJA_ Muzzy exhaust and Polished EVERYTHING!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I agree and think I now the poster and told him the same!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
1bossnova

Post by 1bossnova »

Everyone bashes these heads but.... I don't know how many people have really tried them on a engine. I've had really good luck with the pro comp heads. BBC, SBC and SBF. They have refined there castings in the last couple of years, but the finish work is really bad.... The valve job is super bad and the parts they use like valve and springs are junk!!! But if your on a budget if really hard to beat the prices. Here are some pix of our 220cc cnc ported head

Flow Numbers 220cc intake runner 66cc chamber
Intake 2.08 valve

Valve Job blended into short turn

.100 75 cfm
.200 144 cfm
.300 201 cfm
.400 244 cfm
.500 285 cfm
.600 308 cfm
.700 314 cfm
.800 318 cfm
.900 325 cfm

Exhaust Flow 1.60 Valve

.100 69 cfm
.200 110 cfm
.300 145 cfm
.400 175 cfm
.500 200 cfm
.600 215 cfm
.700 228 cfm
.800 237 cfm
.900 241 cfm

Bryce Mulvey
Dr. J's Performance
www.j-performance.com
2PO2WATCH

Post by 2PO2WATCH »

I just bought a set of the Pro Comp 210cc intake runner heads.They look great to me. Even if they need a little work, you can't argue with the price. What type intake manifold will match the port openings pretty close? Do I need a raised runner type? The ad in their website said some intakes may not cover the top of the ports.
Shane
"If you ignore it long enough, it will go away"
Wilkes

Post by Wilkes »

A Vic Jr. doesn't match up with them very well. The very top of the outside of the Vic Jr. casting barely covers the top of the port on the 210 ProComps.

John
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

They do get beat on pretty badly. But we do a little bowl cleanup, serdi VJ, and use parts to match the racers needs. then they are more than most street and bracket guys need. You're into suspension to keep up with the improvements.

I'm from the old Don Garlits school of thought. I hate new parts. You have to blow them up to find out if they are any good. So in goes my money on a Pro Comp engine, top and bottom, for an alcohol sprinter. It will be machined to my specs but it will start with selected parts from them. I'll let racers know the good and bad I find. It will be pushed to the max. I want to see where the wear is and the quality of the materials. Most of the motors in the class go down sometime in the year because of the tires and direct drive. No hearsay here. I want to know the truth. Good luck,

Joe
jg327

Post by jg327 »

af2 wrote:I agree and think I now the poster and told him the same!

I'm changing the manifold at some point and will be change the air cleaner to when I pull the manifold. There will be a hole cut in the hood with the new air cleaning coming through the hood. The manifold on the car is black air gap rpm Nascar one.
AF2 thanks for you help in smokemup....

So far the heads has been holding up no problems on both motors.
The only thing I found, if the manifold 2 middle bolts are to long they can hit the push rods.

Here's a pic of the motor rev up to 7000 rpm by time I took the pic it drop down to 6400 rpm

jayh

Post by jayh »

1bossnova- those look pretty good.

are those ported by Dr.J's? or are they as they come cnc with just the seats blended? how much were those?

I have seen some pics of procomps that look like garbage, but those look nice to me?
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

What about the spark plug location. Have they changed that. This caused a problem on the ones that we tried.
We stopped using them because of the weird plug angle which caused header interference as well as the odd ball intake runner.
We had to pull a set off of an engine and replace them because of things like this.
1bossnova

Post by 1bossnova »

jayh wrote:1bossnova- those look pretty good.

are those ported by Dr.J's? or are they as they come cnc with just the seats blended? how much were those?

I have seen some pics of procomps that look like garbage, but those look nice to me?

These heads were designed at Dr J's Performance. We spent alot of time on the port design to come up with the best port we could to fit in the castings. So yes...the CNC work is all our own and totally different than the one's that Procomp sells. We sell the heads for $1495.00 for a HYD roller ready to bolt on.
Bryce Mulvey
Dr. J's Performance
www.j-performance.com
desoto30

Post by desoto30 »

I have to say those heads look really good, much better than any of the procomp stuff I've seen,, so do I take it that from here(the photos) a bit of hand finishing & assembly & off you go.
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

You can take the stock ones and do a little clean up or Dr. J has a CNC program that gives you the CNC look that you see here. But I like to clean up the stock ones a little for the street guys. They really can't hook up any more than what those head produce anyway. Good luck,

Joe
BAracer
Pro
Pro

Post by BAracer »

Wilkes wrote:A Vic Jr. doesn't match up with them very well. The very top of the outside of the Vic Jr. casting barely covers the top of the port on the 210 ProComps.

John
From what I'm told, their 210cc heads have a "bowtie" port. Similar to some of the GM Performance heads, and I do believe Brodix and Dart also have this taller, skinnier port on some of their 23deg. heads. Anyhow, an Edelbrock 2977 is a Victor Jr. manifold that fits "bowtie" port heads. A Professional Products 52031, or Procomp's PC22031 also fit. All three of those are set-up for a Felpro 1206 or 1266 gasket.
the nitro man

Post by the nitro man »

how are the valves that come in the procomp heads? i've heard good & bad, but 99 times out of 100 the people that say they suck have never even seen a set in front of them.