Opinions on how commonplace stealth internet marketing is?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Koolaid
Opinions on how commonplace stealth internet marketing is?

Post by Koolaid »

How prevalent do you think stealth internet marketing is in todays automotive forums?

I ask this because of some recent things I've read over on another forum - mainly that one member who seems to solely exist to trash one specific manufacturer operates a stealth internet marketing company. In my eyes it's a free market and up to me as the end purchaser to separate the facts from the BS, but does make me wonder if this is an every day norm that has been going on for a while or something new?

What are your thoughts? I don't sell products, but to the guys on here that do - have you ever been contacted by companies wanting to use this type of marketing to help sell your product?
JCR
Pro
Pro

Re: Opinions on how commonplace stealth internet marketing is?

Post by JCR »

Some are there to bash their competitors, yes, but then there are also the guys who are on the forums to do damage control for their mediocre aftermarket products. What you are discussing sounds more like this http://spankmymarketer.com/powertv.html
Koolaid

Post by Koolaid »

JCR - yes, you are correct - the whole "power tv" thing had slipped my mind, but that is a great example.

Now it has me thinking more and more - I always considered the guys that repeated the same stuff over and over on forums (good or bad) as goof balls - now I wonder, maybe they are actually making a living with those posts - interesting thought to ponder.
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

Koolaid wrote:I always considered the guys that repeated the same stuff over and over on forums (good or bad) as goof balls - now I wonder, maybe they are actually making a living with those posts - interesting thought to ponder.
There was a hilarious exaple of 'girl card' marketing that played out on ClubCobra a few years ago. Apparently some guy wanted to go into business and had the idea of getting his girlfriend to post. It was eventually smacked down brilliantly. The girl card may get initial attention but also scrutiny :wink:

Back during the late 90s stock bubble, it was common to see really long posts on messageboards that were written by the new generation of "day traders" to create interest in a companies to boost its stock value. Presenting an image of inside knowledge was the idea.

Now the same thing has been going on with gold although not so much posts by average Joes but blogs that attempt to look like established financial columnists.
Mike S.