Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Engguy
Guru
Guru
Toyota's problems ?

Post by Engguy »

I have read a few things online about it. So is it a software problem or a made in china computer problem? Or?
You would think big companies like Boeing and auto manufactures would think twice about the costs they
incur trying to save a buck going to china for parts manufacturing. Well yeah and the speed equipment manufactures as well.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Toyota's problems ?

Post by MadBill »

I understand the primary problem* is corrosion causing the pedal to bind. The current 'fix' is apparently a shim for the return spring... :shock:
The supplier, CTS, is US-based but I believe the parts are from their Canadian plant. Don't know if it's a Toyota design problem or a CTS quality issue..

*It appears there may be several other undetermined causes.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Well, the CEO and VP of CST are both from India originally and the CEO's background is in finance rather than electronics or manufacturing. My past experiences with bean counters put in charge of operations being what they are...... My first 2 questions in such instances are always......

* What corners were cut?

* What was outsourced offshore for cheap, repackaged and marketed as American or Canadian made?

From the article......

"Mr. Khilnani joined CTS Corporation in May 2001 as Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. In July 2007, he was elected President and appointed Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Khilnani received his Masters degree in economics from Delhi University in 1973 and his MBA in Finance from the University of New York in 1977. He holds CPA and CMA certifications. Mr. Khilnani has over 30 years of leadership experience in finance, strategy, mergers and acquisitions, and operating roles based in the USA and Europe, including 18 years at Cummins, Inc. Mr. Khilnani also serves as a Director, member of the Nominating and Governance Committee, and member of the Compensation Committee for Brush Engineered Materials, Inc. On May 27, 2009, the Board of Directors of CTS Corporation appointed Vinod M. Khilnani, 56, as Chairman of the Board."

http://people.forbes.com/profile/vinod-m-khilnani/24498

HB
red77

Post by red77 »

I believe it will soon come out that CTS also makes pedals for honda and ford. And no fix has been announced for Cts pedals yet. The only issue officially addressed is reshaping pedals for floormat interference. Toyota is taking this very seriously, it is the first mandatory recall in the company's history. Most likely fix will be replacement of the CTS pedals, while only reshaping the Denso pedals. But, I could be wrong, information is literally changing by the hour. Dealers are hiring additional staff and possibly extending hours.
Engguy
Guru
Guru

Post by Engguy »

If it was as simple as a pedal sticking, it wouldn't be going full throttle. And besides there was a case of someone pushing the
accelerator and it had no effect on the out of control acceleration. That means the pedal was moving just fine. I still bet it all ends up being another "CHINA PET FOOD" deal.
Again parts made in China and repackaged as made in USA or Japan. Isn't Clintons NAFTA wonderful?

Heres a guy that is looking into the so called pedal problems.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/exclus ... alled-too/