Howards Ultimate vs Manley H Beam BBC rods?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

Bernard Mondello wrote:The Howard's Ultimate billet connecting rods are 100% USA made; from the billet forgings they use to the heat treat, stress relieving & machining. We've used Howard's rods in many of our engines in the last 5 years. As an engine builder, it is imperative to me that when we recommend or use a part, we know that it is made from USA produced material and it is manufactured in the USA. Howard's meets both those criteria. We sell several sets of these a month, all over the country to happy customers.

We also sell Crower and Manley, etc. Quick note on that. Howard's is a fully machined, forged billet connecting rod, whereby the other two (Manley & Crower rods listed in above post) are American forgings, but more of an OEM style connecting rod. Sorry for the long post......
Just to clarify, a billet rod doesn't come from a forging. It comes from raw stock that is rough cut to shape and then fully profile machined to the final product. I also don't see on Howard's website where the 4340 material necessarily is from the US, but it might be. I worked for many years in a manufacturing background and it can be difficult to source purely US material. Some of the best machining and most consistent materials I have worked with have come from Israel.

I do, however, very much appreciate companies that take every measure to control quality by doing as much as they can in house.

Brent
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

OK, the clock is running! How long 'till our vigilant SPAMKILLERS eradicate the preceding post and its five clones in other threads?

Also, it may be a matter of semantics, but the process related to me by Carrillo circa 1977 re their rod manufacturing method described so much metal removal in several steps from the initial rough forging that it could be considered a 'forged billet'...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

MadBill wrote:OK, the clock is running! How long 'till our vigilant SPAMKILLERS eradicate the preceding post and its five clones in other threads?
Stop the clock. Thanks Bill, to get to kill some spammers are a nice birthday present.. :lol:
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

\:D/
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Engines Unlimited

Post by Engines Unlimited »

Check out Callies new ULTRA rod. Looks like a great rod for the price but not sure what apps. they have in stock yet.
Engines Unlimited

Post by Engines Unlimited »

Just talked w Callies-they didnt think they would have Ultra rods in stock untill March. No info on their web site yet - give Art or Brook a call @ Callies and Im sure they would get you a flier and info. This is not a Compstar rod.
bigblockwagon
Post by bigblockwagon »

A non Chinese callies rod would be nice if it comes anywhere close to the Howards in price. Have heard good things about the machining quality of the Compstar rods, but I can't get over my mistrust of Chinese iron. I will be using a Callies Magnum crank in this motor.

Scott
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro
Post by bubbabbc »

FWIW, I put a set of 6.800" long Callies CompStar I beam rods in a 535 CID 800+ hp Ford truck pulling engine. N/A on gas. Good results so far. I suggest you call Callies and talk to either Brook or Duane about your application, and see what they recommend. They are two of the best, all fact no fiction.