JB Weld problems?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

SWR
Guru
Guru

JB Weld problems?

Post by SWR »

I tried ordering a new batch of JB Weld from the the official Scandinavian importer of the stuff, and he said they had discontinued it as the guys that made it now were not very interested in QC and had sold quite an amount of bad stuff the last year or so? My "old" JB was an 8-pound (Read: huge) order from a few years ago, and I have had NO issues.

Any other guys seen a deteriotation of the product lately..? Spash-Zone next in line?

Thanks.
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

the last two I bought, the caps cracked off at the top of the threads and I had to improvise to seal the stuff. Never had that happen before, ever, and it happened with two in a row. Maybe I need to have my fingers recalibrated. The product seemed to work as well as ever. :D
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

The caps of the small tubes broke off for me too, but the tubes are from 10 years ago. ( the epoxy still works ) My fix for sealing is thin plastic over the tube opening then reinstaling what is left of the cap.
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

Hmm, that oil pan leak repair I recently tried didn't work at all and I was surprised at how poorly it adhered.

Bjørn, if you're willing to try something new I have a recommendation for an alternate.

I use a Henkel "Hysol" epoxy. It's made for the aerospace industry so quality control is important. The specific grade I use is 9394. It was speced for a job I was working on and I noticed it had good properties, I think there are even engineering papers on it.
I like the fact that it's a 4:1 ratio, that implies that it's more efficient and nothing sacrificed for easy 1:1 mixing.
I've also used it for potting things inside a crankcase and it's been holding up well so far. You can get it in large containers or tubes but you'll need special 4:1 guns for them.
Mike S.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Barbapapa wrote:Hmm, that oil pan leak repair I recently tried didn't work at all and I was surprised at how poorly it adhered.

Bjørn, if you're willing to try something new I have a recommendation for an alternate.

I use a Henkel "Hysol" epoxy. It's made for the aerospace industry so quality control is important. The specific grade I use is 9394. It was speced for a job I was working on and I noticed it had good properties, I think there are even engineering papers on it.
I like the fact that it's a 4:1 ratio, that implies that it's more efficient and nothing sacrificed for easy 1:1 mixing.
I've also used it for potting things inside a crankcase and it's been holding up well so far. You can get it in large containers or tubes but you'll need special 4:1 guns for them.
Mike,
do you happen to have the temp and oil - and for that matter fuel - resistance specs handy..? What I am looking for in an alternate to JB - if needed - is just ease of use and low cost, as I use that stuff for more gearbox cracks and other external stuff that's not easy to weld than intake ports these days. I could use belzona 1111 as I have it, but the price is prohibitive for stuff that just doesn't need that high a spec...
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

Bjørn, here's the data sheet:
http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/SI ... 0000000ISD

Strength after exposure to various things is given.

Since this is something I discovered by chance it would be good to talk to an engineer. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Whatever you use it would be good if it were reasonally available. I prefer to use industrial/aerospace epoxy over consumer grades because of reliability. Epoxy has a shelf life and should be replaced occasionally. I don't trust local retail stores to discard and replace old epoxy.
Mike S.