Making Smaller Wrist pin bushings for GM 6"rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Making Smaller Wrist pin bushings for GM 6"rods

Post by ProPower engines »

Has anyone tried to get pin bushings made with a small ID.

I want to use a GM 6" rod with a Honda journal size as a sudstitute for a Nissan 6.003 rod for use in an "L"-series 4 cylinder race application.

My thought is to machine the Nissan crank to Honda size and use a piston guided rod set up Because the big end is a bit narrower about .050" than the nissan rod thus keeping the rod centered over the oil holes.

The stock rods work and are sized correctly to fit the crank but real hard to find.
The hard part is to find a pin bushing that will fit say a scat rod with the
300zx wrist pin ID
That said I approached them about the pin bushing sizing and they are not willing to do it

If anyone has any ideas on who or where I could get them it will be a big help,
As the rod must be similar to a stock type rod in design but as a sort of spec rod Scat is easy to get here and cost effective if bought in sets they will service 2 engines.
Thanks again,
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

What size is the nissan pin. I put small pins in a set of rods by installing steel backed bushings in the hole and boring it to fit the bronze bushing.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The pin diameter is .826.
The 3liter 300ZX pistons use a floating pin.
It does not seem that big of deal to overcome but have not found any bushings to reduce the ID enough to fit the pin to.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
RJ

Post by RJ »

Call Precision Products in Asheville, NC. It's not a big deal, I've done it without issue in an endurance application.
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

For my EMC engine last year I used SBC Eagle rods and made bushings to use .866 pins. I got the material from McMaster-Carr (I used alloy 936 but 954 also works well) and just made them in my lathe. Not too terribly hard.
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

If you can't make them or find someone local to do it, PM me and I'll put you in contact with my engineer buddy who has the large CNC shop around the corner from our place. He makes custom bushings, retainers, Ti rods, and other assorted engine parts.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
zeronine
Post by zeronine »

There is a place called PPPC in NC that have got me out of trouble many times. They specialize in making these bushings. They may even have what you need on the shelf as blanks. You can call them on 1-800-421-9150, and ask for DJ.
RJ

Post by RJ »

zeronine wrote:There is a place called PPPC in NC that have got me out of trouble many times. They specialize in making these bushings. They may even have what you need on the shelf as blanks. You can call them on 1-800-421-9150, and ask for DJ.
That's the place, PPPC = Precision Products Performance Center :D
Hendrens Racing Engines
Pro
Pro

Post by Hendrens Racing Engines »

Precision Products is in Arden N.C. 800-421-9150
www.pppcenter.com Bill
Hendrens Racing Engines
1310 U.S.Hwy 221 North
Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
828-286-0780
TORQUE INC
Pro
Pro

Post by TORQUE INC »

Diamond Pistons may also have what you are looking for.

Call and ask for Mike
TORQUE RULES !!!!