Chevy Vortec intake drilling to standard intake

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Chevy Vortec intake drilling to standard intake

Post by af2 »

I have seen a plate that allows you to drill the standard intake holes. I haven't seen one as of late and need one for my son's Vortec. He found out about ProComp seats dropping!!!! Iron heads even!!! That will be another thread!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I have one of the plates. It's BHJ / goodson. It's quite expensive, but works slick.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I wish most of you were closer!
Keith, if I can't find someone to do it closer I will call you. The shipping is going to kick my a$$$. :)
GURU is only a name.
Adam
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

I don't like the idea of drilling Vor-Tec heads for earlier style intakes. There isn't enough metal for strong threads and the end holes go through to the water jacket.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

machine shop tom wrote:I don't like the idea of drilling Vor-Tec heads for earlier style intakes. There isn't enough metal for strong threads and the end holes go through to the water jacket.

tom
Depends on what vortec.

Stock 906 / 062 gm vortecs don't have much material and you have to be careful tightening bolts.

There are some decent vortec manifolds, but adding the two center holes to vortec heads helps keep the gaskets in place.

Most aftermarket vortecs have plenty of meat for drilling.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

They are 062.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Will a standard 55-86 Performer or Performer RPM intake seal to the re-drilled vortecs, or the aftermarket heads with dual drilling (RHS, EQheads, etc), or is the Vortec port too high for a common dual plane?
Mike Rogers
Expert
Expert

Post by Mike Rogers »

The EQ heads you can buy with the pre 86 intake and valve cover bolt arrangement. These are not re-drills.
Mike Rogers
215-674-5240
EQ Cylinder Heads
http://www.rogersperformance.com
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

There is a felpro vortec gasket with both patterns. You can use it a a temp plate. Drill the head for fine thread bolts and you have no problems. Torque to 25lbs.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Mike Rogers wrote:The EQ heads you can buy with the pre 86 intake and valve cover bolt arrangement. These are not re-drills.
These are vortec style chambers w/ standard height intake ports?
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I just finished an engine with 906s on it drilled for the old intake. The shop used the Goodson fixture. The holes were a little lower than I would like but ok. The end holes didn't go into water.
soup

votec intake bolt pattern

Post by soup »

We have done dozens of old intake patterns using a 1205 gasket(or 1204) as a template,just use a transfer punch.The 1255 gasket bolt pattern is not correct,the center bolt holes are too low.You have to be careful on the end bolts because they will intersect with original holes.Make sure the end bolts are sealed up when assembling.I also plug original holes with set screws,loctited.You may need to double intake gaskets.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

I have that jig.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

needforspeed66gt wrote:I have that jig.
Should I pm??
Thanks Adam
GURU is only a name.
Adam
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

I made a jig from some steel flat and some drill bushings. It was a lot cheaper than buying one.

I did two pair of 062 heads. The intake faces were, oh, maybe a bit over 1/8" thick. I used 5/16" fine thread bolts to get more than two threads. Both pair of heads worked, but I always felt it was a very iffy deal. A hair too much on the wrench, and you'd be trying to figure out how to braze in a Keen-Sert or something.

Maybe not all of the heads are that thin, but I'm not happy at all with the thread engagement of the ones I did. I suggest you drill some small pilot holes first, just to see how thick your heads are, before doing this.

If I was racing in one of the stock intake/stock head classes, I'd look for one of the GM four barrel marine intakes before I'd drill another pair of Vortecs.