CAD programs

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

gcmesa
CAD programs

Post by gcmesa »

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice or a recommendation on an fairly easy Auto CAD program I could use to design small parts like pulleys, brackets and stuff like that. I'm looking for something I can play with in my spare time but create designs good enough to be able to take to a machinist and they can run it on a CNC. I plan on taking a class when time permits, but I would like something that is friendly to the automotive industry. Thanks -greg
BGriff

Post by BGriff »

There are so many CAD packages out there....I'll give you my two cents. Perhaps someone else will chime in and tell you about what they like.
I prefer a program called DataCAD for intuitive operation and quick drawing.
My second choice is CadKey.
I absolutely loathe AutoCAD, but it is very mainstream and will be easiest to find a class on.
I've had others recommend Inventor and SolidWorks.
FWIW, I just draw in 2D, no 3D rendering for me.
Too many hobbies
Rod
Post by Rod »

i vote for Delta Cad

http://www.deltacad.com/

very simple to use buy may be to basic for what you need

i have version 6 & have drawn up my trailer with it along with various plates ect that i have had laser cut

if you go to the link that i have posted there is a free demo availiable for you to try before you buy, carnt ask for any more than that

regards
rod
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

Inventor is pretty nice to use if you're interested in 3d stuff. If you can figure out how to get your hands on it there is a program called solid edge that I used in a cad class I had. It has GREAT tutorials built into it. It will show you how to draw things in 3d and how to go about it. It will show you how to do assembly views and exploded view of some fairly complex parts.

Here is a couple of projects I completed in solid edge.

gcmesa
Post by gcmesa »

thank you so much everybody...