1968 Mustang...460 based engine fit in the bay?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

oldsracer

1968 Mustang...460 based engine fit in the bay?

Post by oldsracer »

A friend of mine has a '68 Mustang that she restored a few years ago. It's got a decent running 351 but she wants more power. She also wants something bigger than 498" since she likes to one-up me.

I know very little about blue oval stuff but am about to learn. It sounds like a 460 can be stroked to big cubes but will it fit in the bay of this car without a lot of hack work?

I hope this is the fight forum. Seemed the most appropriate to me.

Thanks.
[url]http://zeitgeistmovie.com[/url]
xenginebuilder
Expert
Expert

Re: 1968 Mustang...460 based engine fit in the bay?

Post by xenginebuilder »

oldsracer wrote:A friend of mine has a '68 Mustang that she restored a few years ago. It's got a decent running 351 but she wants more power. She also wants something bigger than 498" since she likes to one-up me.
I know very little about blue oval stuff but am about to learn. It sounds like a 460 can be stroked to big cubes but will it fit in the bay of this car without a lot of hack work?
I hope this is the fight forum. Seemed the most appropriate to me.Thanks.
IIRC, the '67-'70 have virtually the same engine bay, and Tubular Automotive makes an 1-7/8" and 2" swap header for a 429-460 in that car. The engine mounts are the Boss 429 type, and involve a different engine bracket and a special frame bracket. I think the engine mounts are factory Lincoln mounts, but the frame mount is a special. Total Performance in Clinton Township MI used to sell the engine mount kit, but I don't know if they are even in business anymore. The Tubular Automotive headers are only going to fit a stock iron factory 429-460 head, or CJ head. If building a large CI engine, one of the aftermarket heads would be a much better choice, but header fabrication would be required.
I used to have several customers that raced these body styles, and a lot of them would convert to a Mustang II front suspension, which opened up the engine bay for whatever you wanted to do. lots of good mechanical reasons to go that way, but some people don't want to cut the car in any way...
If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

There is one other company out there other than the two already listed. I like their design better. The engine sits lower and will fit under a stock hood. Their headers also keep all the tube on the same side. I kno wthat the Total Performance headers can be a pain because #4 and * tubes crossover under the oil pan to the opposite collector.

http://www.mpgheads.com/

click on MPG Catalog on the left and then scroll down to MPG Motor Mount/Header Kit
oldsracer

Post by oldsracer »

Thanks for the advice.
[url]http://zeitgeistmovie.com[/url]
572 bbc
Post by 572 bbc »

864 bbc & bust out the saws all!!! jk :lol:

seriously my cousin has one (67 thru 69 mach 1 i cant remember which year for sure)but he built a 528 for it,though im sure with the 429/460 block i remember seeing stroker kits good up past 550 cubes from factory block.