Change 4.3 Chevy V6 balance shaft brgs WO pulling intake?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Change 4.3 Chevy V6 balance shaft brgs WO pulling intake?

Post by Masher Manufacturing »

Change 4.3 Chevy V6 balance shaft brgs WO pulling intake? ( does a special tool exist ? )

I know the bearings are cfhangeable if the intake is pulled as the bal shaft is above the cam.

Also, what tends to wear on these, the shaft or bearings? I'd be tempted to install a new shaft on the old bearings ( car lot fix )
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Post by rustbucket79 »

IIRC the front bearing comes out with the cam (roller brg) and the back bushing stays in the block.
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Post by Kdub »

The best fix I know of is to disconnect the drive gear on the balance shaft and just let the dang thing sit there.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

I agree with kwilliams, all of the early 4.3 's never had the shaft and they ran very well with no noticable shake.
fast_crew
Pro
Pro
Post by fast_crew »

There is an updated timing chain and tensioner kit for those. Might want to ask the local GM dealer if they have one. I don't know if it's available aftermarket or not. We used to do alot of them years ago, we don't see much of the older stuff at the dealership these days.
Josh K.
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

Thanks for the info. I will likely do something to stop the bal shaft from spinning. I know the gear behind the cam gear is there to space it out, the bal shaft gear might be needed to prevent the bal shaft from moving rearward. But, since it isn't spinning it might be OK ( unless it uncovers a oil passage )

Also, in the past I had one of these break all 3 cam bolts causing much noise, poor running.