Cylinder Head Epoxy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RyanJ

Cylinder Head Epoxy

Post by RyanJ »

So what are all you guys using for intake port epoxy? "Rumor" has it that Chapman is using A-788 "Splash Zone" Marine/aquatic epoxy made by Z-Spar. Only poxy I have heard of that is resistant to methanol? Just would like to get some insight into if anyone else is truly using A-788 before I purchase as it is not cheapest stuff in world. I did finally find a source for 2 Quarts, ~$62. I could'nt see buying in 2, 4 or even 10 gallon amounts like most marine supply houses want to sell it in. :shock:

I've done the traditional A+B and JB etc.... just looking for the BEST product out there for intake manifold, and intake port runner development work.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Cylinder Head Epoxy

Post by speedtalk »

RyanJ wrote:"Splash Zone" by Z-Spar
Hey Ryan. Yep, that's the same stuff I use. Never used it with alcohol though.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Darin Morgan

a-788

Post by Darin Morgan »

A-788 Splash Zone or Kop-Koat which ever name you prefer, is the ONLY epoxy I have ever seen that will stand up to the rigors of racing. If you use it with Alcohol you have to seal it with a clear coat paint in order to seal it off. You can use clear Acrylic or Emron clear coat. After you shape the epoxy to what you want, wash the head, dry it and clean it with Acetone. Then heat it up to 150 degrees and apply the Acrylic clear coat over the top of it and make sure to get the edges. Don't be shy with the stuff. Let it dry for 12 to 24 hours.

All epoxies will break down with Alcohol. Its just to corrosive. This procedure will make it last ten time longer.

Darin Morgan
R&D-Cylinder Head Dept.
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
817-467-7171
FAX-468-3147
RyanJ

Post by RyanJ »

Excellent info, thanks Darin.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

I've been using A-788 Splash Zone or Kop-Koat purchased from Reher-Morrison ...but just using Devcon 2-Ton Clear epoxy ontop as a sealer/guard ...also making sure edges are coated to up along port walls
and with Electric Space Heaters to pre-heat and post heat

but i'll try out Acrylic or Emron clear coat

Darin... Thanks for the Tip !!
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
Darin Morgan

a-788 splash zone

Post by Darin Morgan »

We carry the stuff in Quarts,Pints and Gallons. its $150.0 for a two gallon kit and $69.00 for quarts. The shelf life is about one year.
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

One other option for a sealer is a product name of Gasoila. A plumbers sealer and hardens solid. Nothing gets through it as I know. There are two types, one white & non hardening, the other is Red and hardens. Red is what you want. Just brush it on but it doesn't have much in shelf life. ------ I used it on vlave seats/chambers when cutting heads w/acid avoiding the cutting on those parts. I found the product from a fella named Beecher Hetland that some may know. ------ You can find this at your local Familian plumber supply.
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro
Post by Grocerius Maximus »

John Haskell wrote:One other option for a sealer is a product name of Gasoila. A plumbers sealer and hardens solid. Nothing gets through it as I know. There are two types, one white & non hardening, the other is Red and hardens. Red is what you want. Just brush it on but it doesn't have much in shelf life. ------ I used it on valve seats/chambers when cutting heads w/acid avoiding the cutting on those parts.
How do you get it off afterwards?
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

Using a cartrige roll. --- A knife will peel it of the fingers.
user-9613590

Re: a-788 splash zone

Post by user-9613590 »

Darin Morgan wrote:We carry the stuff in Quarts,Pints and Gallons. its $150.0 for a two gallon kit and $69.00 for quarts. The shelf life is about one year.
What happens after that year on the shelve? Is it completely useless and how to tell it is? (have been some trouble with epoxy tearing off from ports but that's been just lately.The stuff looks and feels just the same as new (well,maybe they are bit thicker in the cans) but now there is some complains about it coming off.Since there is no "Best before" date in package or any recommendation about how to store it how to know when it is old?)
hollywood63
Post by hollywood63 »

I tried HiTemp Lab Metal and it seems to be alright. Never used it on a alky thou :roll:
doctorpipe

Post by doctorpipe »

I used fiberglass resin years ago with alky and had no problem. That was a long time ago though. It never let go or got mushy. I don't know if currently available stuff works as good.
Doc
hotrod
Pro
Pro

Post by hotrod »

Hmmm - looks like interesting stuff, but looks like the red stuff is not alcohol rated!

http://www.gasoila.com/index.php?path=r ... 4d5c81a91a

Other options might include:
http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl. ... =6&CATID=3

Side note -- in the boat building business they coat the boat bottoms with a resin filled with flaked aluminum to resist water penetration for boats stored on the water. Has anyone tried adding some flaked aluminum to the top layer of epoxy to increase its resistance to penetration?

A friend of mine used to mix epoxy and flake aluminum to fill intake manifold heat riser passages, you can buy the aluminum flake in 1 pound cans at fiberglass suppliers.

Larry
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

Is the A-788 a moldable puddy like epoxy, like the moroso 2 part stuff, or is is more runny like Jb weld?
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

PWMAX wrote:Is the A-788 a moldable puddy like epoxy, like the moroso 2 part stuff, or is is more runny like Jb weld?
It lies somewhere in between. Not as solid as the typical "A B" epoxy sticks, but more solid than JB. It's semi-formable with damp fingers. Just over-apply, and bring into shape after it's cured.