Tighter Bearing clearance Vs looser

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

whtrthanu
Tighter Bearing clearance Vs looser

Post by whtrthanu »

Has anyone done any testing with the lower viscosity oils and tighter bearing clearances?
I was trying to decide whci way to go this winter if its worth it power wise to use the lighter oils vs the heavier wt.
I never really seen much gains from the 0/30 to a 20/50 once the oil was up to temp.....But for a drag motor it maybe worth it because its a little tough getting the oil up to temp in the lanes....
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

You'll want to use the tightest bearing clearance you CAN use without any bearing distress.
Finding that point with your combination is usually a tedius process with a lot of disassembly and checking bearings.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Another variable is "has the block been line-honed?" I'd always be willing to accept a bit tighter main bearing clearance on a line-honed block than an unknown.

FWIW, some of the old OEM Shop Manuals are an interesting read: Main bearing clearance - .0005" to .0025".

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I do not agree with the tighter bearing clearance at all. Maybe for strret engines, but NOT FOR RACE engines

JOE SHERMAN RACING
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

I've had experiences that make me a believer in looser bearing clearances. The downside might be a low oil pressure reading at idle, that's mainly a problem if the car winds up in the hands on an average non car guy :wink: Problems don't occur at idle but when the engine is stressed and bearing bores don't stay round and pinch bearings!
Mike S.
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

rmcomprandy wrote:You'll want to use the tightest bearing clearance you CAN use without any bearing distress.
Finding that point with your combination is usually a tedius process with a lot of disassembly and checking bearings.

I agree with above post.

On Cup engines we work real hard on less clearance to control leakage better. 1.5 to 2.0 is normal on our 850+ hp 9500rpm engines. Our oil temps do run higher then a most for a longer time.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Re: Tighter Bearing clearance Vs looser

Post by Ron C. »

whtrthanu wrote:a drag motor it maybe worth it because its a little tough getting the oil up to temp in the lanes....
He said it's a drag racing motor, I agree with Joe Sherman on this issue.

For the life of me I can not figure out on a drag racing motor why anyone would want those tight clearances. Stay in the .003 for mains and .003 to .004 for rods and the bearings will always be happy.

That's my experience anyway........blessings........Ron.
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

Ron C. -
EVERYONE, including Joe, is entitled to their own OPPINION but, when actual test results differ from your theory; I believe the results.

Barbapapa -
IF the components were stressing to the point of distortion you had better believe that a "pinched" bearing WOULD show some sign of distress upon inspection.

Using tight bearing clearances is not to be ventured into with a blind eye; it takes a lot of experamentation to get it just right FOR THAT PARTICULAR COMBINATION.
If all you are looking for is a rule of thumb - I wouldn't go down that avenue.
want-a-be

Post by want-a-be »

I use .0025"-.003" on about everything I do. IF the block has been line honed I might go as tight as .002" on the mains. But I don't like to.

Don
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

On small blocks i go .003" on the mains and .0025"-.003" on the rods, i prefer the rods to be in the middle of that range

With clearances looser you want a higher volume pumpe but with them tight you dont want a high volume pump
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Randy, If I am wrong tell me.
Drag racing has a whole lot of cold oil hence the bigger clearance.? I know mine doesn't see hotter oil until I reach the finish line. I feel the point's from the other poster's are well taken.

I also agree if you have the proper oil temp you could close the clearance as said.

So, what did I just say? :D :D
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

The better the parts are, the tighter you can run them. And there is advantages in running tighter clearances/thinner oil both from a HP and durability standpoint.

This thread will either get interesting or die real quick!
stealth
Guru
Guru
Post by stealth »

Hmm.. lest see....

$13,000+ engine vs. MAYBE a few hp through better oil ctrl...

Without a NASCAR engine building budget....I'll take the larger clearance.
new engine builder
Expert
Expert
Post by new engine builder »

stealth wrote:Hmm.. lest see....

$13,000+ engine vs. MAYBE a few hp through better oil ctrl...

Without a NASCAR engine building budget....I'll take the larger clearance.
X 2 !!!