Hit it harder

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Hit it harder

Post by RCJ »

When a car doesn't have traction apply more power to get it to bite.What happens to make this work.Does the slick have a bigger footprint?Apply more power at the hit or a few feet off the line?Does it work better for a certain style of car or track condition?
Larry Woodfin

Post by Larry Woodfin »

I "think" you must consider that "applying more power equals more traction" only works when the subject car is already well set up. It is not a blanket statement to cover any situation.

Applying more power to a non-working chassis will only increase wheel spin. On the other hand, a well sorted out combination can easily handle more power because of being adjustable to the new found power. A good working combination is a fully adjustable combination. And never lose sight of the understanding that a good working car is a well balanced system. Engine, converter or clutch, transmission ratios, rear gearing, FRONT and rear suspension, tires, etc. all working together as part of the overall package. It takes time, money and experience to find this balance.
mrtbolt64

Post by mrtbolt64 »

I think the question is pretty vague and my answer may come off that way as well.

Alot has to do with suspension set-up, by leaving harder you load the suspension more, but then again that depends if the tire is able to hook off of launch.