Summit wheels, any good for the street

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Summit wheels, any good for the street

Post by Dodge Freak »

Was looking at getting some Cragers steel wheels but for a few dollars more Summit Racing has polish aluminum wheels. Are these any good for the street. Up here in Michigan the roads are loaded with pot holes. Not every where but you just can not help but to hit a few once in a while. That and cost was why I was looking at the steel wheels but I know its good to have less weight on the wheels.
AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

what size tire are you going to run?

I ran 15x5f/8r Weld Draglites on some crappy roads while I was living in Houston. But I also had 28" tires that were wider than the rims. A 5" wide rim really needs a skinnier tire than a 215/75R15, and a 275/60R15 is a tad wide for an 8" rim, but the wheels were never damaged.
Cheston Phillips
96 Impala SS
05 Silverado
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Re: Summit wheels, any good for the street

Post by MileHighMan »

Dodge Freak wrote:Was looking at getting some Cragers steel wheels but for a few dollars more Summit Racing has polish aluminum wheels. Are these any good for the street. Up here in Michigan the roads are loaded with pot holes. Not every where but you just can not help but to hit a few once in a while. That and cost was why I was looking at the steel wheels but I know its good to have less weight on the wheels.
D/F. I ran the centerline 3.5x15 skinnies on my camaro for years. Never had any problems. My vote goes to the lite weight wheels. Good Luck. Dan.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Size-well I like the 16 inch wheels size better but those are limited on size. Can't find a 255/60/16 unless its a heavy truck tire, so it be 15 inch. Right now I am thinking of 255/60/15 up front and 255/70/15 on back or 275/60/15 in back.

Seems the 15 inch tires are more to pick from and the prices are better.

Yes Centerlines are nice but they are $75 more each wheel, times 4 that $300. But maybe they are worth it.
cyclecyko
Post by cyclecyko »

I have centerline autodrags on a 4000 pound car with 165R's on 3.5's in the front and haven't had a problem in 7 years
runawy9

Post by runawy9 »

Dodge Freak wrote:Right now I am thinking of 255/60/15 up front and 255/70/15 on back or 275/60/15 in back.
That's an awful wide tire for the front. Are they going on a truck?