Drag car alignment..?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

SS402

Drag car alignment..?

Post by SS402 »

Are there special alignment settings for a drag car compared to the factory alignment specs..?
Do we compensate for ride height during WOT operation...?
The car in question is a '86 monte carlo SS with a big-block..

Just wondering what if any changes are done to make the car more stable at high speeds, normally this wouldn't concern me but i only have one arm to steer with so it's a concern

George S
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

As with all cars, you would like no bump steer threw operating range. Drag cars tend to put a little more Caster in to keep them straight. This does keep wheels straight to a certain extent but more so it gives a feel in the steering wheel that lets you know when it isn't, Feedback.
Older I get the less I know for sure
SS402

Post by SS402 »

Great, i suspected there was a little tweaking to be had..
The car is street driven for the most part but i wanted that extra nod of stability at the track.
I am learning steering lingo but i understand that bump steer is basically movement in the steering linkage caused by the suspension moving up or down which raises and lowers the point where the tie-rod is connected to the spindle..
So in a real world we want the tie-rods and steering arm parallel with chassis at ride height, thereby minimizing bump-steer thru the upward/downward travel of the suspension...correct me if i'm wrong.

George S
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I had a modified build from a monte carlo frame.It had very little bump steer in stock form.You might not be able to get alot of caster without some modifications to the mounts.To me castor is a driver feel adjustment start at +3 then add more to see what you like.1/8 toe in is a good starting piont.0 camber
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

RCJ wrote:I had a modified build from a monte carlo frame.It had very little bump steer in stock form.You might not be able to get alot of caster without some modifications to the mounts.To me castor is a driver feel adjustment start at +3 then add more to see what you like.1/8 toe in is a good starting piont.0 camber

The whole caster thing for Drag Racing was once explained to me like "Think of a grocery cart...no matter which way the wheels are pointed, give it a push and it tries to go straight. "

maybe that isn't the best analogy but it makes sense to me.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Tod74 wrote:
RCJ wrote:I had a modified build from a monte carlo frame.It had very little bump steer in stock form.You might not be able to get alot of caster without some modifications to the mounts.To me castor is a driver feel adjustment start at +3 then add more to see what you like.1/8 toe in is a good starting piont.0 camber

The whole caster thing for Drag Racing was once explained to me like "Think of a grocery cart...no matter which way the wheels are pointed, give it a push and it tries to go straight. "

maybe that isn't the best analogy but it makes sense to me.
Great summary! My solid axle I run 10# Caster. I don't plan on or ever will go to a parking lot to get groceries in mine. :lol:
GURU is only a name.
Adam