Promotional ideas???

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

LFT
Promotional ideas???

Post by LFT »

Would anyone be willing to share some promotional ideas with us? I know car shows and store showings are great, but there has to be other ways to attract potential sponsors. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!
fastslm
Post by fastslm »

I don't approach car shows and on-site store displays as ways to attract sponsors, rather, a way to support your current sponsors and give them added exposure, drive traffic to the store, build sales, create awareness, etc.. If additional sponsorship comes your way because of the shows and displays you participated in, then that is even better! But attracting sponsors is not the focus or objective of the shows and displays.

The way I approach potential marketing partners (we don't use the word sponsors that much anymore) is by doing research about the company first. Find out what the company is about, what product or service do they offer? Who do they sell to? other businesses or direct to the consumer? Can they really benefit as a marketing partner with your team? Would they want to use your team as advertising or as a marketing tool(there is a difference)?

Once you have done your homework, then you can attempt to make contact with the potential marketing partner. This may be difficult. You must conduct yourself as a professional. Companies are bombarded with marketing/advertising opportunities on a weekly basis. So, you are competing with multiple other teams, organizations, ad agencies, newspaper, television, radio. etc.. Basically, if you get a foot in the door, you must convince them why they should invest in your race team and not the other methods mentioned above. To convince them you need to be knowledgeable about marketing/advertising, what can you do for them? Honestly, they probably don't care about your race car, engine or how many races you won last year. They want to know how much they can benefit from you. You need to be able to talk their business lingo, ROI, CPI, demographics, etc..

Having a proposal or some other tangible marketing materials will be a necessity. These need to be tailored to each potential marketing partner you approach. The materials should detail who you are(team & driver), the market or markets you compete in, what you have to offer them and how you will offer it.

I think I have gone a little too far with this expanation, as you may not have asked for all this and I may have offered more than you wanted, but the point to this is; BE PROFESSIONAL and BE PREPARED when making your approach to potential marketing partners. It is usually much easier to approach potential marketing partners if there is a mutual friend/business acquaintance/family member or someone to help you get the foot in the door.

The above is in no way a comprehensive or all-inclusive list or guide, as there are many other "links in the chain" that I have not addressed, but are just as important.

I have just discovered this message board. I am a racer and a marketing professional. I have been on both sides of the fence when it comes to approaching partners and being approached by various people requesting support.

If I have not answered your question, please continue asking, as I will attempt to help you or I am sure others on here will also contribute as well.

Thanks for your time,

Bill
racer24
Post by racer24 »

Well, i am 15 and want to make racing my career so i put a lot of time into what i need to do. You need to have a plan that is so great that you think no one will afford to turn down. It takes time and preperation. Be creative. Use you imagination. Go above and beyond what they are already experiencing. Get them involved with the track. For example, i am working with a disabled childrens camp currently. I have offered to take kids on hunting and fishing trips, introduce them to the outdoors, spend tiem with them, get them involved with motorsports. I would like tobring them to the track, let them see what it is all about. When they have seminars at there camp, i will have the race car there for the kids to sit in or observe, i will sign autographs, give out some team apparel. Just use your imagination, never stop thinking of ideas. LEts say the company has a mascot, have someone where the suit to the track, walk around and hand out brochures and so on. If its a food company, maybe hand out samples of food in the pits. These are just a few ideas. There is an endless amount of ideas
I could quit racing anyday, however, today isnt that day and tomorrow isnt looking much better. I will never quit!!!
trmnatr

Re: Promotional ideas???

Post by trmnatr »

LFT wrote:Would anyone be willing to share some promotional ideas with us? I know car shows and store showings are great, but there has to be other ways to attract potential sponsors. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Number one, (not picking on you) your not Greg Anderson or Jason Line so you must provide great information as to why they should sponsor you

Understand this, these guys get probally 500 REAL sponsorship requests a week and probally 1500 BS sponsorship requests from people just trying

These guys are very busy at the companies and dont have time for BS. You must ask ALL the questions they will

If I come to you and said LFT I need $5000 sponsorship for my race team. What are you gonna ask me? Write these answers down because the major sponsor is gonna ask you the same thing.

You dont want the man to send you 25 e-mails or phone calls asking questions because they will just move on to the next.

Be sure that you sponsorship letter / request has ALL THE ANSWERS to any question he may ask so that he doesnt have to wast his time hetting answers and can review your request properly

Pics of your cars, and info about the team is a MUST. You only race 2-3 days a week, he has a company open everyday. How is your 2-3 days a week gonna help him?

You have to supply him with information every so often and do it without being requested too

We have a couple sponsors and one sponsor we have had for a while we have a contract with that automatically renew every year.

PM me when you can or i will PM you
outlaw105w

Post by outlaw105w »

very good info
money4speed

Post by money4speed »

Some good insite... however, eveyone seems to miss the important parts of getting racing sponsorships. That is way I created my wesite, I share what took me 30 years of doing sales and marketing to learn. Invest in yourself, then the sponsors will come, because you'll really know how to do it.