FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by amcenthusiast »

Will the garage have a tower to support a lightning rod, for Frankie's jumper cables?
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It's 20F this morning...yuck

I need to backfill this weekend but I'm trying to hand A trench for plumbing first...because I'm too cheap to rent an excavator for a 20 feet of digging.....we have a lot of rock and what's not rock is clay, digging is slow going....and it's 20F this morning.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I didn't catch it, did you say it's 20F this morning? :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, poke :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

.i need to get some pipes in for a bathroom and I want a heated floor...
X2 on both. They're worth the time and effort.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Yeah...its not supposed to he 20 this time of year, but a heated floor will make it more pleasant.

I got the trench dug...maybe best I dug by hand since the propane line and gutter drain are still in tact this way. I rented a hammer drill last night and put some holes in the house foundation (s*ck job), today I'll see if the air hammer can turn the little holes into 1 big hole.

The ground is mostly filled in...I'll make it nicer once the pipes are in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Air hammer worked pretty well...time for pipes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

2" of foam, 1/2" rebar on 24" centers, about 1000ft of per, 12 yards of 4500psi concrete with fibers added to get a 4" thick . It's a floor.

The pour was easy, 1st truck went to the back, second to the front, very little manual work. We floated it.....then the rain came. We got about 2" in 5-6 hours.....it was supposed to miss us and go north but I bought a big tarp just in case. The first attempt at a tart tent was a disaster but 2nd attempt worked pretty well and we were able to keep the floor pretty dry and get it finished....but it was about a 14 hour day, mostly in the cold rain.

The lumber was delivered today, framing over the holiday weekend weather permitting
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Persistence personified, be that Ferrari or workshop :D

Thanks for posting, Mark!
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Busy holiday weekend...I'm tired today.

The walls are all built and up. There is a little bit left to do that I skipped to be able get them standing I daylight, but I'll try to finish up under the lights this week and hope to have the sheeting on by the end of next weekend.

I was able to pull the walls up with a come-along. The sides went right up. The front and back I thought I was going to break the rope....the front is REALLY heavy and all the weight is at the top so I used the floor jack and the left over blocks and scrap wood to get it about 4 feet up before swirching to the rope....it worked.

The roof trusses are due about the first week of december they say....and I'm pretty seriously thinking it's time to call in the Amish crew to finish up.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Hey, he's a family man too remember! :)
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

exhaustgases wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:56 pm Wow ! If I had a nice place like that, the shop would be 10X that size.
I know, I know..............but it has to be 10 feet from the house, 30 feet from the property line (they originally told me 50, but I realized that they mistakenly rezoned me in 2010 so I now fall in the 30ft rule :) ), needs to connect to the driveway and can't cover the geothermal field I installed in the side yard some yard back when the shop was in the basement and I thought that is where it was going to stay. I could have put it out back with a long driveway but as of 2012 it I go over 1000sqft of covered ground (the shop is 900 as is) I need to do water management system which would probably run close to $10k to design and build. It as big as it can be in every direction to stay in that box and avoid water management issues.

Plus I'm learning it costs a lot of money to build stuff. I had it in my head that this should cost $15k. I saw garage kits on line wood or steel or pole really cheap. The local lumber yard quoted quoted around $10k even with the 3x price increase on studs, sheeting and such after our jack@ss president started a lumber war with canada which added about $2k to the bill and Lana wanting it to match the house so a tallish hip roof. A couple $k for concrete...$15k easy.

Nope! Its at $20k right now with probably another $10k-$15k to go assuming I continue to do any and all labor I can. I am going to have an Amish crew come install the roof. The trusses will be here on 12/11 and they will meet the truck...Lana mandated the garage must match the house so to get the roof to look right its a 8/12 pitch front to back to get height and 12/12 on the ends to look like the house...I don't want to walk on that. $1350 to install then plus probably 2 hours for the delivery crane to get them up their at $125/hr. Then $850 to install the sheeting I already have, then $3300 to roof it with them supplying the material. The roof to match the house didn't add a ton to the material bill but I wasn't thinking about all the other costs....it added at least $5k to the bill when its all said and done.

Then it will need stucco, electric, insulation and drywall, finish the powder room, install the heat, and probably add AC fix the yard and it will be pushing $35k even with me doing all the labor I possibly can. I'm so at this point I'm really glad it isn't any bigger because I'm already scraping together every dollar I can find which doesn't really leave anything left to play cars :(
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It needs more nails in front, but the sheeting is on
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
INTMD8

Post by INTMD8 »

Awesome project and nice shop.

As for your induction, maybe it was already suggested but could you possibly do a louvered polycarbonate window at the top of the buttresses/roof like an F40?

May as well put that engine on display and give yourself some room in the process.
1996 Camaro SS. Twin Turbo 6-speed. 890rwhp 855rwtq 9.7@149 3,780lbs. 199.4mph in the standing mile.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Thanks.

There is a silver qv with 48ida webers that wont fit under rhe good running around Florida setup that way. It looks good.

I think the first step will be dyno a few stack length options. Dynomation5 said long 2nd pulse stacks are the answer, dynomation6 wants the shortest option I can possibly make......i need data to sort it out so my thought is finish the shop, fix the dead cylinder, head to the dyno with 2 or 3 stack options then figure out how to package the winner.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It's starting to look like a garage.

The roof is mostly framed. They got started late when the driver was a no show. For those not familiar with the Amish, they can't drive so they hire drivers amd had to scramble for a replacement at 6am...rhey got here at 9, the crane and trusses at 7 :(

But they are on, just A little left to do before the sheeting goes on and the roof should be done this week.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer