FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

Way back when I was putting in the seats I realized I had 20 and 4...same part numbers but the 4 mic'd smaller. I called, they told me I was nuts but I ordered 4 more and they matched the other 20. After the seats were installed and Iwas picking up I could only find 3 of the small ones and had 1 correct to spare....and no way to find the small one.....but it should be ok......I suspect I've found it.

I am tempted to fire it up 1 more time with the new fuel pump and a new O2 sensor on the rear bank so I know I have things close for after the tear down.....but I don't want to do anymore harm....I'll need to think about that.

There are some other things I want to look at.....oil pressure sensor that is dead and NLA is a minor one but the big one is designing an air box and filter system is another. Finishing the wiring up front and putting the cabin back together. My steering rack is leaking oil and all the suspension bushings are crap. This stuff Ican get fixed/finished while the garage it going up and I already planned to pull the engine over the winter so......
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Changing the subject I've been thinking quite a bit about the air box and stacks and holes in the hood.....I"m thinking no on the holes. I would be willing to relocated stretch the bump in the deck lid and MAYBE raise it an inch of so but that is about as far as I'm willing to go I think.

I think I'm going to put the deck lid on and see exactly what space I have to work with if I follow those rules then spend the next week or so pondering what can be done....I'm kind of envisioning U shaped stacks hidden inside a big tuned airbox. Since I'll have at least 1 head off some I'll be able to see what it does to airflow vs the stacks on it that I used for all the flow work.

Dynomation wants the stacks LONG....18.5"open to valve at least depending how much taper I give it so a twist is the onlt way it could posibly fit. Then I need a place for big air filters....trunk maybe?
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

A suggestion to determine under hood space - -
Fit all items which should clear the hood, then use aerosol cans containing gap & draught proofing expanding foam to squirt a layer several inches thick inside a puncture proof garbage bag, place it over the engine & close the hood
Make sure excess foam can escape to the floor or?, wait for it to harden then remove and cut into sections, and there's your clearance
A perfect low cost analogue solution for a vehicle full of unique engineering and expensive hi tech digital add ons :lol:
Oh, and if there's space air cleaners into the wheel wells
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

And I was just going to get out a tape measure :oops:

There is a little room to the front of the wheel wells. There are air inlets on the sides I could slide cone k&n s
into....but I'm not sure there's enough space for filter large enough to not restrict flow. Maybe 6"diameter or so it all that will fit.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Thinking about other thing......

I looked at the stacks and hood a bit today
20170722_124345_resized.jpg
There is a bout 5" to the top of the scoop to the TBs
20170722_141109_resized.jpg
The dynomation length stack would stick up a bit more than I have
20170722_173725_resized.jpg

I think I could build something where the stacks cross....it would probably still want a little more hood clearance but that might be a good compromise. I'll try to get it laid on in CAD and see what it might look like.
20170722_175040_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Last edited by englertracing on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

So you'll cut up engine parts but you won't cut up the hood?

I think you should do the tall stacks and build something like this that DOES NOT stick above the roof obviously, or out of the cars shilouette in side view

But I think it would actually look good especially if you made a nice blue top to match the paint job...

You'd pull up behind it and say "[DELETE THIS POST] that's a lot of filter!"
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It would look very mean like that that's for sure!

My biggest issue with cutting the hood is I suck at body work :oops: ......but I'm sure I can figure something out or find someone to help.

I was 3/4 thinking about 2 setups. That section of the hood is surrounded by vents so it could be removable.

Also I'm pretty sure a well designed airbox that is divided into 4 3-cylinder grouds and tuned as a helmholtz chamber would be good for around 5% more power than a simple stack and filter setup.....which is part of what got me onto the maybe I can turn the stacks.

I've been playing with the 3d printer trying to make big parts (it will go 300mmx300mmx400mm thinking that would be a good way to at least prototype setups for testing. I've got a toy for my son on it right now that uses nearly the entire print space and it is looking rough....cracked and delaminated, fine for a toy once we paint it but not so good for an airbox. It turns out going to a big nozzle was a really bad idea, and I need to keep the whole part hot somehow I guess, not just use the heated bed which really only keeps the first 10-15mm hot.

Right now I need to get the new shop built so I can pull out the engine and fix the dropped valve seat, and probably trashed piston and bashed combustion chamber....but at least it involves a new shop.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

mk e wrote:It would look very mean like that that's for sure!

My biggest issue with cutting the hood is I suck at body work :oops: ......but I'm sure I can figure something out or find someone to help.

I was 3/4 thinking about 2 setups. That section of the hood is surrounded by vents so it could be removable.

Also I'm pretty sure a well designed airbox that is divided into 4 3-cylinder grouds and tuned as a helmholtz chamber would be good for around 5% more power than a simple stack and filter setup.....which is part of what got me onto the maybe I can turn the stacks.

I've been playing with the 3d printer trying to make big parts (it will go 300mmx300mmx400mm thinking that would be a good way to at least prototype setups for testing. I've got a toy for my son on it right now that uses nearly the entire print space and it is looking rough....cracked and delaminated, fine for a toy once we paint it but not so good for an airbox. It turns out going to a big nozzle was a really bad idea, and I need to keep the whole part hot somehow I guess, not just use the heated bed which really only keeps the first 10-15mm hot.

Right now I need to get the new shop built so I can pull out the engine and fix the dropped valve seat, and probably trashed piston and bashed combustion chamber....but at least it involves a new shop.

I wouldn't bother with the hobby 3d printer.
I would have It printed from sls nylon 12gf, or 12cf if your fancy. And run it.

I ran a 12gf stack for 3 or 4 years with no problems.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

englertracing wrote: I wouldn't bother with the hobby 3d printer.
I would have It printed from sls nylon 12gf, or 12cf if your fancy. And run it.

I ran a 12gf stack for 3 or 4 years with no problems.
I may give up.....but I am pretty pig headed. I have a stack on the engine now I printed from and and it seems to be fine....maybe a 2 hours run time at this point.

My thought was if I could make it cheap and with little effort I'd test a few designs but if it hard and/expensive then just one will ever get made.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

This is related to the car in that I need the new shop before I can work on the car after the fire :(

Last weekend I rented a backhoe and dug for the footers.....which took longer than I'd hoped as it finished under the lights.

I also found some pipes for my for system I forgot were there :( ....and had to repair the next day....in the rain and mud.

I spent my evenings sure g the week cleaning up the backhoe work, building cheap forms, and settings rebar. Passed inspection Thursday, poured the footer friday afternoon with my wife and 2 or her friends helping...i called the husbands but the wives showed up. It came out nice though.

This past weekend I started the block. Saturday I set the 4 corners right I think. Sunday I got 2 walls done.....this morning I have pain pretty much everywhere. Hopefully I can finish the other 2 walls this week and be ready to back fill this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Mark,

Lotsa good grunt work there. Every time I first get on a backhoe, I think, "This is so much fun, I'd pay to play." Then, after the first hour, I think, "These guys should be paid more." After a long day, I think, "I wish I'd paid them whatever they asked."

Don't feel too bad about digging up a bunch of piping; at least it was just water. On a smaller project for a hot tub slab, digging by hand, we managed to cut the main electric feed to the garage.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Lol....right now I do wish I'd paid to have this work done! But cone next summer I know I'll be loving the A.C. that I will buy with the money I saved.....but man the blocks start to get heavy after the 1st 10 or 20. I laid about 40-45 on wall 3 last night after work under the work lights so wall 3 is 2 course up, 3 to go....hopefully done tonight.

By the weekend I should be ready the backfill and grade. I like to do that on the weekend so I get 2 days with the machine for 1 day's rental. They still watch the hour clock and bill over 8 hours but I don't feel so rushed and can stop for lunch and to see what things look like...and it so much easier to walk and work once thee ground is flat and most of the thousands or rocks we have around here are buried or picked up. Funny when i first moved down here i loved all the old stone houses and it never for even a second occurred to me to ask where they got all the rocks...Doh!
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

I'm really enjoying your thread MKE... all that work is great exercise!
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

amcenthusiast wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:32 pm I'm really enjoying your thread MKE... all that work is great exercise!
And Lord knows I need some exercise!

The block work is DONE!!

The weather has sucked....it was like 42 and misty rain last night...which is better than Tuesday that was 38 and actual rain....but it's done. The inspector was out and its approved.

I have a small/medium trackloader for the weekend..takeuchi tl150 so I'll get it back filled and the yard fixed up. Slab maybe next weekend....i need to get some pipes in for a bathroom and I want a heated floor...not sure how long it will take me to get that stuff ready but I really want to keep this moving.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer