FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

The weather hasn't exactly cooperated this week....it snowed 3 times and heavy wind 1 day so we're at maybe 2/3 sheeted instead of finished. Next week its 40s all week though and they just rented a lift to speed things along....a couple more days and there should be a roof.

It think it's looking pretty good though and matches the house so Lana's happy so far. The color of the shingles and stucco still need to be right, but so far so good.

I didn't plan storage above much to the dismay of many, but the way the trusses came out there is a center area 9ft wide and 9ft tall by 18 ft long and l have a bunch of 2x6x10ft left over that I could nail to the 2x4 trusses to get a decently solid floor up there.....still not sure what I'd put up there exactly.....we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Closer.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

Glad to see your garage going up -yes, matches the house... looking good.
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

You're killing me here.

Finish that stinkin garage and get back on the hotrod!! :lol: :lol:
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

n2xlr8n wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm You're killing me here.

Finish that stinkin garage and get back on the hotrod!! :lol: :lol:
I'm sorry.....I planned badly and added extras at the last minute so ran out of money :(. In fact I more than ran out of money because I didn't realize the truss and crane time bill had not arrived and been paid when I decided to apparently re-spend their $2800 to put the base coat of driveway in leaving me with less than no money and not owning windows and doors :oops:

The other blunder is that way back in the spring I decide to work on the car rather than start the garage/shop construction and now its winter and the shell is not sealed up so its pretty hit/miss when I could work if I had the materials.

I used a leaf blower and some leftover garage wood to build a semi-working hoverboard with my 10 year old
https://youtu.be/8gfeSdOQqwE
Not sure if we'll do a version 2.0 with a lot more power and thrusters.....but a little jet engine i can't afford since I'm supposed to be only spending money on the garage would be pretty cool to play with :)

Then I've been plotting some updates to my printer to make it a bit more reliable before I start printing different length stacks to test once the engine is fixed. I found a free on-line CAD system that seems to work decent (onShape) and got the stacks modeled.
side.JPG
back.JPG
What lengths to make I'm really confused about. I think I mentioned this but I've been using DM-5 and it basically said that I have plenty of air for my 9500ish redline (returned stack and headers it likes 11000) so using a longer stack with more pronounced pulses helped peak hp vs shorter stacks more normal length stacks in tune at the same point and that is what I've been planning on.
2018_01_15 DM5 11 vs 18.5.JPG
Now I have DM-6 and it has other ideas. It says BS to the DM-5 solution and long stacks with pronounced pulses make a mess of the tuning as they come in and out of tune and hurt peak hp for very small gains down low. This solution makes packaging much easier as its basically asking for the shortest stacks I can make (10.25" intake length, means a 3/4" stack) and it makes some sense....there is a reason intakes are normally tuned to the 3rd or 4th pulse, it usually works best. DM-6 is having none of the engine really wants to spin to 11k+ nonsense, I can push the peak to 10400 using an intake track shorter than I can actually build but that is it. hmmmmmmm...........
2018_01_15 10_25 vs 16_75.JPG
I am very temped to go ahead and build the 10.25" system. Both DM-5 and 6 agree its tuned, it packages nice and I need something with filters before I can really drive the car so it seems useful to get it built. It also seems useful to make at least 2 or maybe 3 sets of stacks to test when I finally get to the dyno...like 10.25, 13.5, 17 all look tuned to about 9500.

So that is where things sit....not completely stopped but not really moving much either.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

The hoverboard made up for it :wink: Your son looks like he's having a good time.

I vote gofundme for the Frankenferrari monster.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

n2xlr8n wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 am The hoverboard made up for it :wink: Your son looks like he's having a good time.

I vote gofundme for the Frankenferrari monster.
Have you seen this thing?...a mini jet powered bit of crazy.
https://youtu.be/KEDrMriKsFM

It's a new year so new funding will soon be available to get things rolling again....almost funny I'm waiting on a pretty big check from the insurance company for the fire damage repairs that they say is coming. The work is mostly all done and we did a whole lot of the cleanup and repair work ourselves so a big chunk can go toward the new shop to help make sure it never happens again.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

More minijet engine crazy....ironman like
https://youtu.be/yPZ3goRCdWQ
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

exhaustgases wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:56 pm Wow ! If I had a nice place like that, the shop would be 10X that size.
I did the floor layout and you're right, it's too small :(

So I'm adding a "light" shop upstairs. It will be 10x18, 7'6" center, 5'3" sides. I kind of wish I'd ordered the trusses to include an attic but I have a rework plan that is going pretty well so far, just slower than I'd hoped.

I know, you're not supposed to modify trusses..... just like you're not supposed to sawzall engine and trans parts :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

if i had seen the plans , i'd have suggested it , it amazes me how much space is wasted in most workshops , over here my council tax went from 1300 to 7200 for 3000 sq ft , were use to making every inch count , how will you loading far out are you gona run a rsj across for support of will it be of very light storage , looking well
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

You could probably do with a small brace at M to N high up at E
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

gunt wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 pm You could probably do with a small brace at M to N high up at E
Yes.....but the wall but n/m are at 5'3" e is like 9'6", so I'm bracing at 7'6" where the ceiling will be. You're right that it adds strength, 3-5% iirc. I'm almost done with 5 or 8 trusses finished, except the ceiling brace that I'll do o last. I'm doing them 1 at a time so nothing sags or shifts. The floor feels rock solid in the section i've finished so im pretty sure the math was righ.

The serious problem is picking the f'ing doors....."we" are really struggling to decide what "we " like.......
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

mk e wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:50 pm The serious problem is picking the f'ing doors....."we" are really struggling to decide what "we " like.......
:lol: Anyone who is married will know what that means!

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Kenova wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am
mk e wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:50 pm The serious problem is picking the f'ing doors....."we" are really struggling to decide what "we " like.......
:lol: Anyone who is married will know what that means!

Ken
Last night the thought was we could solve the door problem if i just pull the car in and frame ovet the door openings since we both know that car is never leaving the shop anyway. She thought that was hysterical.......

The trusses are all done now at least so I'm moving forward again. I should be able to get the floor sheeting done this week and stairs this weekend.....then I kind of need doors and windows to seal it up.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Bow
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bow »

Wow, incredible project, just awesome work