Hooters cup into road race car

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

ctk30

Hooters cup into road race car

Post by ctk30 »

Figured I'd post here, haven't really found a forum yet that this fits into

It basically starts with this, found it locally for $1380 after taxes and dealer fee

k1ob.com
ctk30

Re: Hooters cup into road race car

Post by ctk30 »

I can only work on it when I have a break from school so its been sporatic, this is probably a few months after I got it, wasn't sure if I could do it or not initially

This part sucked, did in the corner of a garage in the middle of summer, hot and sanding dust everywhere

Got the calipers for $120

k1ob.com
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Put some old nascar tires on it

Figuring out motor mounts, which may be getting cut off, depending on which motor I get

Start of radiator and oil cooler, bought on ebay for $275 shipped

Had to make the lower bumper support, and made the grill bolt in not rivet

Imageoswin/6fcb61ac-b434-4175-a2e1-1bfb10f85c29_zps518dda20.jpg[/img]

Before welding

Made the frame from 1/2" square tubing

Tow hook out of 1/4"

k1ob.com
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Duct further along

Also scored a bunch of parts for $300 bucks, someone getting rid of all their old racing junk, also picked up a bunch of springs, pretty much all mismatched though

k1ob.com
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Took apart the quick change and pressed out the tube and flipped it 180*, it was positive 1.8* before and now its 1.8* negative along with the other side. Unfortunately the ring and pinion is shot. The rear end is a locker though which is nice. Need to find a cover with the gear lube pump.

brake ducts mounted

1 11/16 from sway bar, need to do the mounts on the lower arms still. Also need to do shock mounts

k1ob.com
ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Lower control arms all squared up to the best of my knowledge, and the frame mounts on the upper are squared up, just need to get the correct length a-arm which I believe is 8.25". Waiting on a .5" longer ball joint to confirm though, that length should allow me to get the right camber only using a little shim on one side of the car and none on the other

I also have been polishing everything that is aluminum before installing, the steering column and rear fender tubs look a lot better now, not mirror polish but just enough

k1ob.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Very nice work and you'll get there. Building it yourself, you'll know the car inside and out. BTDT

Along the way, I learned "There's nothing so expensive as a cheap old roller race car."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Man, that must be a blast to drive.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Grocerius Maximus
Pro
Pro

Post by Grocerius Maximus »

Several examples of exactly this in TX at Motorsports Ranch and Eagle, its actually pretty economical in the long run.
beaker60

Post by beaker60 »

ctk30 wrote:Duct further along

Also scored a bunch of parts for $300 bucks, someone getting rid of all their old racing junk, also picked up a bunch of springs, pretty much all mismatched though

You done good with this,,I'm constantly finding "lot" sales like this all the time where I live,,up here in north Ga,,basically because there are a lot of racing teams,,selling out,,they just can't afford it any longer,,,also ebay has tons of stuff being sold out.You really have a great place to work on your car,,as well,,the lift has to be a giant asset,,I remember helping guys that had NO lift,,,everything was done on the ground,,,which wasn't all that bad,,,,just real time consuming.

ctk30

Post by ctk30 »

Thanks, the lift is my uncles, but he lets me use it from time to time, he is going to take a body off a car though for a frame off soon I think thought so I'll have to find something else

I did some sheetmetal work in the back, the fuel cell area is all sealed in now. I got a bead roller for christmas so I bead rolled everything, it looks nice

I was in a rush to get back to school that day so I didn't get any pictures, going back in a few weeks hopefully and will be able to get some work done

I did roll it out and take some pictures earlier in the day though

k1ob.com