SpeedTalk Store - Opinion Columns

FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Postby PackardV8 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:13 am

This is the project from hell.

Mark, from the first post on this, I said to myself:

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?

Words from a poem by Robert Browning, suggesting that, to achieve anything worthwhile, a person should attempt even those things that may turn out to be impossible.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Postby mk e » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:00 am

I know there is a finite number of things that can possibly go wrong but this project is testing my faith in that belief.

I pulled the plugs in cym 1-6 +12 last night and found 5&6 probably gas fouled and 1-4+12 very lean. I guess look at the rest, replace any that are fouled, MOVE THE CAR OUTSIDE and try it again.

When it fired the VE was set to 180% which confuses me..... I didn't didn't get a chance to log anything or really even look at the screen as I like to have my eyes on the engine as it first comes alive (but couldn't see the floor behind it :( ) and didn't get a chance to check the pipes for heat to know for sure which were firing and which weren't as I normally would....so really I need a do-over now before I know what to work on. That 180 VE number could mean it just hates to be cold or could indicate I have a problem in my ECU math somewhere or both.....I need to get the wheels on, car out and try again with the log on.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Postby FuelieNova » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 pm

WOW and I thought my problems today were challenging!
I don't even have any great words of wisdom for you>>>>
Tom
FuelieNova

Postby mk e » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 pm

The cleaners need to get to the ceiling over/under the car so the car officailly got kicked out of the shop today and sent to the garage where anything with fuel in it belongs l guess. The hvac guy was here today to talk about a separte system for the reduced as punishment and sealed off shop space......hopefully the funding for the detached proper size shop will get approved in the spring.....i had the whole basement :(

It also got its first bath in 10 years.

But now that its in the garage I can got back to trying to get it running right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Postby mk e » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am

With the car down on its wheels and up in the the garage i walk past a couple times a day and see a perspective i haven't seen in years......that enge looks like it belongs there :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Postby FuelieNova » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:10 pm

Outstanding!
Tom
FuelieNova

Previous

Return to Show & Tell