Radiant Heater

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Re: Radiant Heater

Post by Dave Koehler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:41 pm

I apologize for ruffling Hvac pro feathers.
I only pass along what I have personally experienced and observed.
I will stand by the worst advice ever concerning inverter mini-split sizing.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 pm

My radiant tube is a two stage... its a really good heater just too big at 80k. I just bought what I was advised to buy.i had to shorten it to 36' to fit my shop.
Last place in the B-main is better than anyplace in the grandstands...

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 am

Krooser wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 pm
My radiant tube is a two stage... its a really good heater just too big at 80k. I just bought what I was advised to buy.i had to shorten it to 36' to fit my shop.
Correct.. oversizing and the unit short cycles, wears out parts from the constant on/off, especially ignition systems and relays... the heating of the space efficiency drops way off the more the unit cycles

BTU's is BTU's, the HVAC system maximums should be sized to run 100% of the time during the worst conditions..a dual fire is second best and a 100% modulating unit is the best..

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Was in a Menards store and seen they offered two different brands of tube type radiant heaters. As usual they were under staffed and had trouble finding anyone who had any product information.
Got on their online site last night and found a Mr. Heater of the type I'm interested in. One thing I've noticed is the BTU varies greatly between 20' tubes. Anywhere from 40,000 to 65,000 BTU for a single straight 20 footer.
Another thing, I haven't found any manufacturer ratings on efficiency. Example back when I bought the Reverba Ray for the shop I think it was rated at 92% efficient.

Any of you have opinions on the Mr. Heater units?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

I took a quick read through the info on that one....it is certified for taking outside air for combustion which is good&a must for efficiency and to keep any crap in your shop air from entering the unit. if your doing any grinding, welding, painting etc where you have dirt in the air...it iwill get sucked through the fan and combustion chamber...so outside air is what you want, its cleaner and with outise air you can seal up your shop as air tight as possible...if the unit uses dirty inside air you need to provide an opening to the outdoors like the instructions say so air that's used by the unit can be replaced with fresh outside air...so youll have an opening in your wall where cold air blasts in...kinda dumb.

the only issue I see with that one is that you have to make your own combustion air supply because it doesn't come with a kit for that. no big deal, you can fab one up out of some round ducting and use an outside hood like a dryer vent with the flap removed and a screen over it to prevent bugs entering it. so that one you would have to make two holes in your wall, one for the exhaust and one for the air intake...three feet apart.

that one requires minimum 5" clearance to a combustable ceiling above it...

I have used these from superior before and theywork great..come in 30,000btu and 45,000btu very similar design. these only require 2" minimum above..and they come with a concentric flue kit...which means only one hole in your wall(but bigger) ,it combines the exhaust and combustion air in one piece...easier and cleaner install.

http://superiorradiant.com/products/res ... /series-gr

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 pm

GM thanks for taking the time to look. Definitely intend to duct the inlet to outside air for all the reasons you listed.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Your welcome...if you need advice on sizing which unit you need.

Go directly to the manufacture , they have a heat loss program . They would need all your building specs like wall construction , insulation value, windows&style, how many walls are exposed to the weather...sq footage etc. area of the country and weather condition

The superior radiant website has a good online one ..you input your info and email it to them

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Mine is Superior Radiant.
Last place in the B-main is better than anyplace in the grandstands...