Water Heating, Tankless, Point Of Use ??

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Water Heating, Tankless, Point Of Use ??

Post by Hrdlx62 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Does anyone have any experience with tankless point of use water heaters for a small shop, evening weekend shop. I ran a water line out to my shop and would like hot water for washing. Preferably an electric unit. Any input? Thanks.

Ozonkiller

Re: Water Heating, Tankless, Point Of Use ??

Post by Ozonkiller » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:36 am

I've been running a tiny tankless point of use heater in my shop. No bathroom. Just used for hand washing and hot water for washing parts. Works like a champ but they need a higher amperage circuit.

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 pm

I had a used one that I installed....worked fine in my shop sink... Was a little underpowered but it was free.
Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Member Class of 2019

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 pm

I used a Rheem 18KW for a few years. Two 40 amp 240 circuits. It worked well, plenty of hot water for showers. It eventually stopped turning on. I checked it out and it appears the board has an issue.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o

Shaner

Post by Shaner » Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 am

I have a 8 gal/minute gas rheem in my house. $1000.

I have 5 places for water to be used.

With all five on, I never run out of water.

The kicker, my gas bill went from $130/month summer, $300 month winter, to $35/month summer. I use gas heat also, but my bill dropped to about $175/month in the winter.

At 10 months I broke even. It pays for itself.

I'll never go back to a tank heater. Such a waste. Just get a large enough heater.

You also have to look at your supply pipe size, very important.

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:15 pm

I've had a tankless heater in my home for nine years... never again.

First I got bent over on the install. The plumber asked me to buy the heater and he would install it. His estimate was $600....his bill was $1500. I paid the six hundred and told him to pound sand for the balance.

He retired and sold the business.

So the new guy seems ok... Two years later there's a leak in the heat exchanger. The plumber tells me there's a recall....I get a free water heater but I have to pay the labor.

OK.

He gets the heater, does the switch in about three hours, and billed me $900.00!!!

Same install...same pipes... same overcharge. I paid HIM $450.00 and he's presently pounding sand with the previous owner.

Now 9 years since the first install... Water heater is leaking again. Heat exchanger has a 10 year warranty.

This time I found a good, honest plumber. He got the free replacement heater, had to change the install a bit to suit the newer model heater.

Billed me $400.00. Gave him cash.

After my first month with the initial install my water bill doubled. Takes too long to get hot water to the bath and kitchen and its only 15' max.

The new heater is 105,000 btu. The old one was 80,000. Too small I'm told.

My tank heater was an 80 gallon and 36 years old. Made zero financial sense to switch. If I had only known before I made the jump.
Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Member Class of 2019