Heating ?

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Heating ?

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Has anyone done a cost comparison between propane and natural gas costs for heating? Its just easier to ask than make phone calls and searches.
Thanks.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Heating ?

Post by MadBill » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Several factor complicate the answer to that question:
o There can be big regional and seasonal variations in the cost per million BTUs of either fuel (one winter here ~ 4 years back, propane about tripled in cost.)
o The actual composition, especially of NG, can also vary regionally and affect the fuel's specific energy.
o Changing over requires re-jetting of appliances and in the case of P to NG, disposal of the tank.
o Very generally, NG is cheaper, but not universally. Your local supplier of either should be armed with sales pitches in their favor.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 pm

Is off peak electric an option?
Jim

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:03 am

I think propane is 3.40 or so a gallon, I don't know what equivalent NG is, in the area. Electric used to be very affordable here but not so any more.

ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am

Here's a short comparison article that unfortunately leaves out one crucial fact, the Btu per gallon of propane, sigh: http://www.propane101.com/propanevsnaturalgas.htm My gas bill uses therms, a therm is 100,000 Btu, basically 100 cu. ft. of natural gas. I pay $0.4 per therm in Maryland from BGE, plus another $0.4 per therm delivery charge, so $8 per 1000 cu. ft. or per 1 million Btu (plus some taxes I'm ignoring). Wikipedia says 1 million Btu propane is about 11 gallons. Taking $8/11 gal = $0.73/gal so if propane costs more than that delivered, natural gas is cheaper. You will have to call your gas company to get the supply price and the delivery charges, and a local propane company for the price to fill a 500 gallon tank.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net

Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 pm

Propane has about 2.5 more energy than natural gas by volume. However propane usually ends up being more expensive to heat with than natural gas.
The delivery of propane by rail and then trucking, adds a lot of cost.
Then the pricing tactics can be brutal. The propane industry has been on multiple occasions, involved, sued and charged with price fixing.
There is the tiered system of pricing where seasonal use and low use customers are charged much higher rates per gallon.
In my area, owning your tank and buying on the market is a lot better than having a companies tank and contract.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o