Mounting a winch to pull cars up on carport

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Pro
Pro

Mounting a winch to pull cars up on carport

Post by econo racer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 am

How would I do this so I could winch disabled vehicles up by myself? I used to winch them on a trailer then unload but there has to be a way of winching them to the shop. has concrete floor.

lefty o
Guru
Guru

Re: Mounting a winch to pull cars up on carport

Post by lefty o » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:27 pm

a plate with an arm sticking up to bolt the winch on, securely bolted to the floor should do.

Monza Harry

Post by Monza Harry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 pm

You could also cut a hole into the floor and "underpin" the concrete [at least as thick as the floor] with a vertical receiver sleeve with some rebar through the sleeve [and into the slab, low leave lots of concrete over it] then fill with "unshrinkable concrete". You may also need to create some sort of drainage as you are still outside, and only partially protected from the rain/snow. This with a flush cover [magnetic?] and no trip [or hose, creeper etc.] hazard. This is my plan for my garage floor as I am just not as strong as I once was :( this and a machining intensive lock system that I just haven't figured out how to do with out all the work! Harry

stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Mount winch to square tube trailer hitch ....mount receiver to floor...can pin and unpin in seconds.

Winch Also works great in truck trailer hitch receiver to pull trees down...
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am

Make a plate with a lug, like an engine lift plate. Rent a hammer drill. Concrete anchors from the hardware store.

Your load is nearly perpendicular to the anchors, and not all that high for a rolling load anyway.

Either put the plate somewhere where it won't get tripped over, or use UNC threaded anchors instead of the lag bolt kind, so you can remove the plate when not in use.

bigblockmopar

Post by bigblockmopar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:39 pm

I have a 4-post car lift inline with the entry of my garage.
At times I've chucked a (manual or electric) winch behind the carlift and used it to pull a car inside and upto the lift.