Cam and crank grinder

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

lance flake
Pro
Pro

Cam and crank grinder

Post by lance flake »

I have ran across a Storm Vulcan 75 cam grinder and Van Norman 465 crank grinder. The cam grinder has lots of masters with it seems to be ready to use with some cleaning. The crank grinder has tail chuck missing all else seems there. This stuff has been dormant for 15 years or so. I couldn’t get to the stuff for any serial numbers or good pics because of all the junk around them. Can someone here tell what these pieces are worth and we’re/are they decent machines?
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Re: Cam and crank grinder

Post by lance flake »

Posted in wrong place. If someone can move to shop tech I would appreciate it. Thanks.
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

I don't know about the cam grinder but a 465 was my first crank grinder some 35 year ago. It is very old and in all honesty, it's worth nothing except scrap value. There are disabled crank grinders everywhere.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

Thanks. Investment is very minimal for sure almost free. I really am not looking to use this for the public just mainly my stuff and learning. I will be looking for parts to get this crank grinder operational when I get it home. This stuff was all working the man that owned it passed away 15 years ago or so.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Parts for them machines will be very hard to come by. Storm parts are handled by a guy called texas star machine. He don't return calls very fast if at all for parts.
the used equip. dealers will be the best sources for any parts. But from memory they were a very basic machine and unless some one up dated the chucks at some point after you move the machine from the spot it is in now you may never get it to grind correctly ever again.

I recently tried to help a shop that wanted to get a machine and they got that same machine.
After a very careful move from the spot it spent 40+ YEARS IN We spent 5=6 months screwing with it and several K later it was workable cause the bed had taken a set in the spot it was in for all those years and it took many months to get it to grind well enough to use anything that came off it finished.

The cam grinder has merit if its in good shape and if nothing else there are places in south america that buy machinery and rebuild it down there or part it or trade it to a dealer on a newer set up

JMO
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

I originally thought this was a 465 grinder but it is not. It was buried in the back of a shop with no lights. I can’t find a picture of one like or make out the numbers on the tag.

This thing is 12 feet over all length and has 3 wheels on the front of it. I will try to post a pic if I can. If anyone can tell me what model it is with those specs I would sure appreciate it.

We also located the missing chuck so we may be in a little better shape.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

May be a 666?