Wanted Flow bench head stand and related

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Wanted Flow bench head stand and related

Post by Ron Miller »

Wanted flow bench head stand like the Brzezinski model. Wanted bore sizes in 4.155 SB Chevy, 4.310, 4.500 BB Chevy, and possible sliders in the same sizes. Send a P.M. here with details, and prices.

Thanks for looking,

Ron
Ron Miller
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Re: Wanted Flow bench head stand and related

Post by bill jones »

-This is Bill Jones---regarding your wanting a head stand for flowtesting.

-I do NOT build the slider style nor the metal type that Brzezinski sells.

-I have plastic pieces to make the plastic head perch similar to what Superflow sold back in the late 1970's when I bought my flow bench.

-basically I make a plastic sbc/bbc perch using thick wall tubing---and boring it the large size down 1/2 way and leaving a chamfer in the center of the bore tube---like when going from 4.160" bore for a sbc---to a 4.375" for a bbc.
----------------------------------------------------
-on my own perches---I have two---i make the bores oversize and then I have found some 6" thinwall fiberglass tubing that I cut in about 2-1/2" lengths--then cut out a section so I can squeeze the "C" band and use it to reduce the bore size.

-these "C" bands don't fit exactly and perfectly round--but they are pretty close---close enough for me.

-I have about 4 of these "C" bands that are about .040" thick----and I have them to fit inside each other where I can get the bore sizes at the shrouded areas of the chambers very close to a perfect fit.

-I have only built several of these for friends and the two I have built for myself---one which is for small bores to do around 3.5" to around 3" bores.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------this is copied out of my book and may explain it some better.

--The basic cost of this stand is generally starts at about $200 but varies depending if you want the bolt holes installed, how many heads you want it to fit, bore reducing sleeves and whether you want the tops slotted to allow for valves that protrude down past the heads deck surface, locating buttons, etc etc.
-Cost could end up being as high as $500 but this would be pre-fitted for maybe as many as 3 various types of heads per side and 2 general bore sizes per side.

The basic plastic dimensions and cost consists of:
$ 32-two pieces, top & bottom, 3/4" thick x 6-3/4" wide x 19" long
$ 8-two spacers 3/4" thick x 4-1/2" wide x 3-13/16" tall
$ 22-tubing ($5 per inch) 4.750"OD x 4.010"ID x 3-13/16" tall
$ 16-tubing ($3.50/inch) 4.472"OD x 3.970"ID x 3-13/16" tall
$ 12-tubing sleeve($3 per inch)4.125"OD x 3.750"ID x 3-13/16" tall
$ 9-tubing sleeve($2.25/inch) 4.000"OD x 3.750"ID x 3-13/16" tall
(these prices are some years old so the prices are probably slightly higher now)

-So the basic cost of the plastic and glue is about $65.
-Tubing is standard at 1/8" wall so when I need the thick wall stuff I have to special order it, pay tax & freight & wait 2 weeks, and then buy enough extra to be able to machine it to exact lengths.

-An example of the cost of a finished head perch.

$200-assemble and glue the 5 basic pieces together.
-This includes boring thru the top & bottom, centering up off the plastic tubing and then boring it to 2 sizes (after the milling process is done).

$ 45-mill the top & bottom surfaces flat before drilling any holes

$ 20-drill the 5" square pattern top & bottom from bore centers.

$ 20-for each pair of bolt holes to align one specific head.
-This can easily total up to $120 if you want 6 different head patterns.
-this includes a pair of 1/4NC flanged button head 5/32" allen screws to fit each heads specific head bolt hole diameter.
-sometimes the boltholes of all the cylinders aren't symmetrical and this may require 4 bolt holes to do one head and some boltholes may interfere with some other heads holes causing complications getting what you want.

$ 60-to slot both surfaces to allow for valves that protrude from the
heads deck surface.
-This is usually required for small & big block Chevys.

$ 25-for the time to package it so the plastic can't be broken in shipment.
-This also includes normal postage and $500 insurance.

$ 20-each for smaller bore sleeves to reduce the bore.
-There are a variety of ways to do this.
-The easiest is to use a roll of .025" or .030" shim stock but it comes 6" wide and needs to be cut.

$490 is about the most you would spend for 6 head bolt patterns, the slots for Chevys, some .030" shim stock and shipping etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-if you are interested you can e-mail me at fwillyj@comcast.net or you can call me at 1-801-969-3807----but I don't usually answer any phone call that I do NOT recognize on the caller ID so you may have to leave a message.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-AND---you'd need to be able to pay me cash up front.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-I have also made valve opening fixtures for about any type of head and sold a quite a few to various people over the years----but sometimes I need a head and valves here to set up and build the fixtures perfect----especially like on the multivalve heads.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-this link on Ryan Browns website shows some of the stuff I was doing back about 10 years ago.

http://ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Page_5.html