Anyone have a Storm-Vulcan 901 Tappet Grinder?

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Anyone have a Storm-Vulcan 901 Tappet Grinder?

Post by PackardV8 »

Just finished rebuilding a Storm-Vulcan 901 Tappet Grinder. Now, that is one built-hell-for-stout machine.

Now that it's almost operational, we need two things to complete it:

1. The Shop/Operators Manual. I'd pay your price for an original or good photocopy.

2. The stone setting gauge measurements. There is a gauge block which is inserted in the chuck and the stone face is pulled toward the chuck until it touches the gauge block. Doesn't appear difficult to fab the block, once we know the dimension from chuck face to stone face.

Thanks in advance
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Re: Anyone have a Storm-Vulcan 901 Tappet Grinder?

Post by dave brode »

Jack,

This guy [local to me] sells equipment, and he also has nicely done manuals [227 different manuals listed]. He doesn't list anything for the 901, but I would ask him. His name is Dennis.

http://stores.ebay.com/Automotive-Machi ... 34.c0.m322

Dave
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Thanks, Dave. I'd already checked everywhere on line and hadn't found anything. FWIW, the 902 Manual would be even better, as ours has the air chuck opening added.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Know anyone with a Storm-Vulcan 901 Tappet Grinder?

Post by PackardV8 »

Got the machine rebuilt, new motor, stones, bushings, bearings, gauge. Just need to wire up switches and find a coolant pump.

Question. We haven't been able to find the diamond wheel dresser. It is apparently a z-shaped holder to produce a radius on the stone. Does anyone know anyone who has the Storm-Vulcan 901/902 Tappet Grinder manufactured by Webb Machinery? We'd love to get a look and some measurements of the diamond stone dresser.

Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
Dan from Oakland

Post by Dan from Oakland »

Jack- I have the same machine, although mine is in the pre project stage. I do have a copy of the angle settings for various types of engines that I purchased from a fellow on e-bay several years ago. I don't recall if i have part of a manual- don't think so.
I was not aware of a setting block, but I do have the dresser that goes into the chuck to generate the curvature on the face of the wheel. Drop me an e-mail at dmcgearsatyahoodotcom.
Dan
Preferredservices

Post by Preferredservices »

I have the same machine i am looking for someone that has worked on the chuck runout i am having bad slop in it it is worn on the shaft was wondering who made this machine?