Tobin Arp Line Boring Machine bits

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Tobin Arp Line Boring Machine bits

Post by PackardV8 »

Anyone have a source for the cutting bits used in the Tobin Arp TA14, 15 or 20? The $75 each from Sunnen is typical of their tooling costs. The couple of standard bits we have don't look especially complicated, just 3/8" square with the corners rounded. I see C-5W and C-98-2 on two with readable nomenclature.

I'd be especially interested in a holder with a replaceable insert.

We do have the TA bit sharpening machine and can make our own if a source of the rounded corner stock could be located.

Thanks in advance
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
victorymachine

Re: Tobin Arp Line Boring Machine bits

Post by victorymachine »

Lacey Williams shows to have them, but I have not actually ordered any yet.
Here's a link: http://www.laceymwilliams.com/ts6-3.html

My TA-14 boring bar bit hole measures about .445, which makes these 7/16 bits look like just the ticket. If yours needs 3/8, maybe you could still modify these to work...

Hope this helps....
Daniel McCleskey
Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

Just a thought on changing the style of cutters on your line bore. If you deviate from the original design and end up with the cutter tip in a different position (in other words the tip is no longer in the center of the bar), it will affect the size of the hole it cuts. Years ago I converted 2 different model Kwikway bars to a high positive insert and it changed them both about .007". It might not affect your TA but take a test cut with whatever tool holder you end up with. You can either change the mic or just make a mental note to yourself to allow for it.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Thanks,victorymachine,

I called Lacey Williams and they have the 4" bar only now, for $125 and a box of ten inserts is $65, so I'll be ordering a couple.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering