Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by David Redszus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm sorry gentlemen. But the stream of responses are far off topic and seem to be spiraling downward into a black hole from which no logic ever escapes.

What about life on other planets?

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm

bunner engines wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 am
Firedome8 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 am
Is part one over , Or is this just starting ?
I think the OP quit because he got called out on his insincere tactics. There are some creationists websites out there that explain how to back atheists into a corner with certain lines of questioning. When it didn’t go as planned, he had to make an excuse to bow out of the thread to keep from looking like a fool.

I wish he would have kept going, because I am virtually certain that my answers wouldn’t have been what he was expecting, and would have exposed his true motivations and flawed reasoning.

Oh well, quitting the thread is a passive admission of defeat. I’ll accept it.
Yea keep dreaming. Your foolish answers is exactly what I expected. Same with your hateful attitude.but the best part is the more you try to prove your point the more holes I can see in your hopeless argument.
:lol:

Please point out the holes, and the hateful attitude. Be specific. It is easy to make blanket "holier than thou" (hehe, you see what i did there?) statements.

Once you're done pointing out the holes in my argument, post the remaining 9 questions so we can all see your true intentions. Or, deflect and refuse to back up your claims. Either way, we will all find out what's really going on with you.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm
I'm sorry gentlemen. But the stream of responses are far off topic and seem to be spiraling downward into a black hole from which no logic ever escapes.
That's because the OP quit. We've invited him back a few times to post the rest of his questions, but he seems to only want to dodge the invite, and make claims with no attempt at supporting them. I'm truly shocked.. :^o

bunner engines
Member
Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:45 pm
Location: hampton va

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by bunner engines » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm
David Redszus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm
I'm sorry gentlemen. But the stream of responses are far off topic and seem to be spiraling downward into a black hole from which no logic ever escapes.
That's because the OP quit. We've invited him back a few times to post the rest of his questions, but he seems to only want to dodge the invite, and make claims with no attempt at supporting them. I'm truly shocked.. :^o
Please divulge what Claims I have made. And btw I don't need your invitation. I ask question 1 and you can't get through it without slander and accusations .
it always cost less to do it right the first time!

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 pm

bunner engines wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm
David Redszus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm
I'm sorry gentlemen. But the stream of responses are far off topic and seem to be spiraling downward into a black hole from which no logic ever escapes.
That's because the OP quit. We've invited him back a few times to post the rest of his questions, but he seems to only want to dodge the invite, and make claims with no attempt at supporting them. I'm truly shocked.. :^o
Please divulge what Claims I have made. And btw I don't need your invitation. I ask question 1 and you can't get through it without slander and accusations .
My accusations are tentative, I will admit I am wrong if you share the rest of your line of questioning such that we can all see where it is (or was) going, and it turns out that you aren't trying some kind of creationist "gotcha" BS.

You've claimed to see the holes in my "hopeless arguments".

Please identify them specifically. Let's have a discussion about them. I like finding out I am wrong, because I don't have to be wrong anymore.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5097
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by Firedome8 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm

In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by David Redszus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am

Firedome8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.
What kind of life?
At what stage of evolution?

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 am

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am
Firedome8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.
What kind of life?
At what stage of evolution?
Probably carbon based, probably simple. As I said before, it is likely that the conditions occurring for the length of time necessary for complex life to evolve is rare.

Firedome8
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5097
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by Firedome8 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 am

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am
Firedome8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.
What kind of life?
At what stage of evolution?
I think that the odds favor intelligent life given the vastness of space and the thought that we can not be so special. Imagine a culture with a billion earth years head start on civilization. I would think we would be able to detect signals but the silence so far tells a different story, but tomorrow may bring surprises. Maybe the communications are vastly superior to our understanding utilizing entanglement or something we have no perception of at our stage of civilization. Heck we still go to war over who's god is more powerful...

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by j-c-c » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am

Firedome8 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 am
David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am
Firedome8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.
What kind of life?
At what stage of evolution?
I think that the odds favor intelligent life given the vastness of space and the thought that we can not be so special. Imagine a culture with a billion earth years head start on civilization. I would think we would be able to detect signals but the silence so far tells a different story, but tomorrow may bring surprises. Maybe the communications are vastly superior to our understanding utilizing entanglement or something we have no perception of at our stage of civilization. Heck we still go to war over who's god is more powerful...
:lol:, sorry the absurdness of your valid point gave me a chuckle.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 am

Firedome8 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 am
David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am
Firedome8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.
What kind of life?
At what stage of evolution?
I think that the odds favor intelligent life given the vastness of space and the thought that we can not be so special. Imagine a culture with a billion earth years head start on civilization. I would think we would be able to detect signals but the silence so far tells a different story, but tomorrow may bring surprises. Maybe the communications are vastly superior to our understanding utilizing entanglement or something we have no perception of at our stage of civilization. Heck we still go to war over who's god is more powerful...
We have only been listening for ~100 years. Even if there are many intelligent species at or beyond our stage of development, the chances that they exist(ed) at the right time and right distance for us to detect them in the short time we've been listening is exceedingly unlikely in my view.

It also may be the case that species who reach out level of intelligence end up wiping themselves out in short order. Maybe they only exist at that level for a few hundred years.

Another scenario is that they only use radio waves for a few hundred years, then switch to some other (yeet undiscovered by us) method of communicating. Us looking for radio waves from other systems may be analogous to people looking for smoke signals and concluding there is no life, while everyone is actually communicating on cell phones.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by David Redszus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:14 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 am
David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am
Firedome8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:32 pm
In the observable universe how could life not evolve ? Assuming the laws are uniformly spread across the cosmos one would expect millions of planets with life.
What kind of life?
At what stage of evolution?
Probably carbon based, probably simple. As I said before, it is likely that the conditions occurring for the length of time necessary for complex life to evolve is rare.
Two, of many, scenarios.
1. Conditions, favorable to some form of life randomly exist, permitting the random existence of life.

2. Basic life forms alter the global condition of a planet, forcing evolutionary changes in the forms of life.

The atmosphere of the planet Earth was changed by the presence of life.
So which came first? Life or suitable conditions? Do we have a chicken and egg situation?

If we merely assume that conditions suitable for life will statistically exist somewhere, then we must also consider:

state of evolution and development
length of existence (or extinction)
method of communication
timing and distance
desire or motivation to communicate to others
technological advancement

With each filtering parameter, it becomes less likely that we would be able to communicaqte with other life forms,
even if they did exist.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:04 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:14 pm


Two, of many, scenarios.
1. Conditions, favorable to some form of life randomly exist, permitting the random existence of life.

2. Basic life forms alter the global condition of a planet, forcing evolutionary changes in the forms of life.

The atmosphere of the planet Earth was changed by the presence of life.
So which came first? Life or suitable conditions? Do we have a chicken and egg situation?
if abiogenesis occurred on this planet (likely), then the conditions for that early life existed before the life did. More specifically, the conditions at that time caused that earliest form(s) of life. As life (and other factors) changed the conditions, life evolved to suit those conditions. It's not so much a chicken or egg situation, its a dynamically coupled situation where each (life and conditions) have an effect on each other.
David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:14 pm
If we merely assume that conditions suitable for life will statistically exist somewhere, then we must also consider:

state of evolution and development
length of existence (or extinction)
method of communication
timing and distance
desire or motivation to communicate to others
technological advancement

With each filtering parameter, it becomes less likely that we would be able to communicaqte with other life forms,
even if they did exist.
Agreed, I said as much in a recent post.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5370
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/science/when-yo ... ist-claims

And wow ! Scary times ahead for ones that don't like the idea of an almighty, that is the ultimate engineer and designer of everything.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm
https://www.foxnews.com/science/when-yo ... ist-claims

And wow ! Scary times ahead for ones that don't like the idea of an almighty, that is the ultimate engineer and designer of everything.
Bless your heart.

Post Reply