Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

bunner engines

Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Do you believe. In this vast universe we live in , is there human (or somewhat simular) life forms out there somewhere?
it always cost less to do it right the first time!

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Re: Questions for the atheist. (Part 1)

Post by Firedome8 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 pm

The Drake equation comes to mind, but no actual evidence has been put forth that i am aware of.

bunner engines

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Firedome8 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 pm
The Drake equation comes to mind, but no actual evidence has been put forth that i am aware of.
Ok thanks. Lets give a couple of days for the rest
To chime in .

rebelrouser
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelrouser » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 pm

I think there almost has to be other life forms out in the universe. Of course somebody has to be first and somebody has to be last, but odds are we are not that special. The issue is unless we don't understand all the laws of physics the great distances involved may mean we will never really know. Even at the speed of light it takes many many years to even reach close stars. But based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of Sun-like stars and red dwarfs in the Milky Way, 11 billion of which may be orbiting Sun-like stars. So we got a lot of choices where to look.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm

bunner engines wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 pm
Do you believe. In this vast universe we live in , is there human (or somewhat simular) life forms out there somewhere?
I would say that it is almost certain that other life exists given that there are more stars than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on earth. Microbial life is likely to be relatively common, however the proper conditions over the necessary length of time for complex multi cellular life to evolve may not be very common at all. There are some estimates that there may only be one planet per galaxy (or less) that have some form of intelligent life.

BTW, I like this thread, and will be happy to answer any questions you have as honestly and directly as I can.

bunner engines

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm
bunner engines wrote:
I would say that it is almost certain that other life exists given that there are more stars than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on earth. Microbial life is likely to be relatively common, however the proper conditions over the necessary length of time for complex multi cellular life to evolve may not be very common at all. There are some estimates that there may only be one planet per galaxy (or less) that have some form of intelligent life.

BTW, I like this thread, and will be happy to answer any questions you have as honestly and directly as I can.
Thank you. Any other atheist want to answer the question?

bunner engines

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:18 pm

rebelrouser wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 pm
I think there almost has to be other life forms out in the universe. Of course somebody has to be first and somebody has to be last, but odds are we are not that special. The issue is unless we don't understand all the laws of physics the great distances involved may mean we will never really know. Even at the speed of light it takes many many years to even reach close stars. But based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of Sun-like stars and red dwarfs in the Milky Way, 11 billion of which may be orbiting Sun-like stars. So we got a lot of choices where to look.
Ok thanks for your response.

bunner engines

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Anyone else?

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:42 pm

bunner engines wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 pm
Anyone else?
I think that’s all the atheists here, or at least the people who are ok with admitting it.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:44 pm

bunner engines wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 pm
GRTfast wrote:
bunner engines wrote:

Why do you use the pre-qualifier "atheist" to answer your question. The question can be answered by anyone of any faith.
That is about the same as asking only lefthanded people to respond.

How would you define life?
Life on earth has evolved over the last several billion years; early life forms might not fit the description of life by todays standards.

What are the preconditions that define life? Perhaps there is only one; that it can replicate itself. Even if not exactly in the same form.

Even on this planet, we have many forms of life that are far different from each other; ameoba to sperm whale to Redwood tree.

What is intelligent life? Is there also a form of unintelligent life? (For purposes of discussion we will exclude liberal Democraps.)
Would a plant be considered intelligent life or not?

Statistically speaking, the odds are that a planet exists somewhere that has conditions that could sustain life as we might define it.
But being potentially capable of sustaining life and actuall containing "life" are two very different things.

Did life exist before the earth was formed billions of years ago? If so, where?

GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:52 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:44 pm
bunner engines wrote:
GRTfast wrote:

Why do you use the pre-qualifier "atheist" to answer your question.
I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread may be an attempt to back any atheist that participates into some kind of “gotcha” situation. That may or may not be the case, either way I will gladly participate, as I can solidly defend my position and easily navigate any attempted manipulation.

No offense to the OP if the intentions of the thread are indeed rooted in genuine curiosity.

bunner engines

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:08 pm

David Redszus wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:44 pm
bunner engines wrote:
GRTfast wrote:

Why do you use the pre-qualifier "atheist" to answer your question. The question can be answered by anyone of any faith.
That is about the same as asking only lefthanded people to respond.

How would you define life?
Life on earth has evolved over the last several billion years; early life forms might not fit the description of life by todays standards.

What are the preconditions that define life? Perhaps there is only one; that it can replicate itself. Even if not exactly in the same form.

Even on this planet, we have many forms of life that are far different from each other; ameoba to sperm whale to Redwood tree.

What is intelligent life? Is there also a form of unintelligent life? (For purposes of discussion we will exclude liberal Democraps.)
Would a plant be considered intelligent life or not?

Statistically speaking, the odds are that a planet exists somewhere that has conditions that could sustain life as we might define it.
But being potentially capable of sustaining life and actuall containing "life" are two very different things.

Did life exist before the earth was formed billions of years ago? If so, where?
Give it a couple of days to let them all have thier say

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm

bunner engines wrote:
Anyone else?
One does not have to be an atheist to understand there is not a living person on this planet that understands the universe entirely.

Some people must have an "understanding", and resort to beliefs to connect unknown dots, and others can accept that mortals currently are still a long way from complete insight, and even though they struggle to achieve that insight, they are OK with it. Discovering new "dots" everyday.

One tidbit I have learned, people feel more secure when in groups, albeit its often just a false sense of security, but weaker minded people need a crutch, and who am I? to deny that. It's also rather rare one can have this type of conservation without hysterics, and since i don't have anything to replace their "blankie", nor do I feel the need to, but then the OP asked, and I shared.

Good time to mention the fellow member here who recently prayed for me to get an incurable cancer, and only one member took offense to that malice.

Your original question Part 1, appears to be internet bait, I just went ahead and cut off the hook.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Hey, JCC, a very good response. =D>

bunner engines

Post by bunner engines » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:58 pm

j-c-c wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm
bunner engines wrote:
Anyone else?
One does not have to be an atheist to understand there is not a living person on this planet that understands the universe entirely.

Some people must have an "understanding", and resort to beliefs to connect unknown dots, and others can accept that mortals currently are still a long way from complete insight, and even though they struggle to achieve that insight, they are OK with it. Discovering new "dots" everyday.

One tidbit I have learned, people feel more secure when in groups, albeit its often just a false sense of security, but weaker minded people need a crutch, and who am I? to deny that. It's also rather rare one can have this type of conservation without hysterics, and since i don't have anything to replace their "blankie", nor do I feel the need to, but then the OP asked, and I shared.

Good time to mention the fellow member here who recently prayed for me to get an incurable cancer, and only one member took offense to that malice.

Your original question Part 1, appears to be internet bait, I just went ahead and cut off the hook.
e
Bait? Ok .I guess forget about getting to part 10 then. Thank you all for your insight.got cut off at the hook
Jcc .you take my next 10 questions from here.