A parable worth reading

This is an Admin / Moderator NO GO ZONE. You're on your own.

Moderator: Team

Post Reply
rebelrouser
Expert
Expert
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:25 pm

A parable worth reading

Post by rebelrouser » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 am

A parable worth reading:

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River.
Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.


On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile .

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.
A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people paddling and 1-person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people paddling.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were paddling.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people paddling the boat greater incentive to work harder . It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the paddlers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices , and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off one paddler, halted development of a new canoe , sold all the paddles, and cancelled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated paddler was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles), so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold, and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about:

GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US.

The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM rack s up 9 billion in losses.

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses....

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY.

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1921
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by GRTfast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am

rebelrouser wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 am
A parable worth reading:

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River.
Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.


On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile .

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.
A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people paddling and 1-person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people paddling.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were paddling.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people paddling the boat greater incentive to work harder . It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the paddlers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices , and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off one paddler, halted development of a new canoe , sold all the paddles, and cancelled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated paddler was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles), so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold, and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about:

GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US.

The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM rack s up 9 billion in losses.

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses....

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY.
Yeah that’s awful, and true from what I’ve been able to tell. I see it in my industry too. We sell engineered machines. Engineering is such a small part of the company, and we are constantly being squeezed to be cheaper and faster, while I see so much bloated spending and unnecessary beurocracy in other areas of the company. It’s maddening.

Nefario
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by Nefario » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am

GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am
Yeah that’s awful, and true from what I’ve been able to tell. I see it in my industry too. We sell engineered machines.
Me too sorta. I'm an engineer technically reporting to Marketing. Management talks about all the custom features we -could- do but most Marketing efforts celebrate existing features. Sales is better at addressing customer needs but they know they can still generate nice bonuses without pushing for innovation. Too many little fiefdoms doing small projects; "management" skills are rewarded, creative design may be actively discouraged.

Our Asian competition either SPECIALIZES in truly custom machines or avoids them, giving good value if you can accept a basic machine.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3740
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by gmrocket » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am

GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am
rebelrouser wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 am
A parable worth reading:

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River.
Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.


On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile .

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.
A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people paddling and 1-person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people paddling.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were paddling.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people paddling the boat greater incentive to work harder . It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the paddlers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices , and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off one paddler, halted development of a new canoe , sold all the paddles, and cancelled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated paddler was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles), so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold, and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about:

GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US.

The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM rack s up 9 billion in losses.

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses....

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY.
Yeah that’s awful, and true from what I’ve been able to tell. I see it in my industry too. We sell engineered machines. Engineering is such a small part of the company, and we are constantly being squeezed to be cheaper and faster, while I see so much bloated spending and unnecessary beurocracy in other areas of the company. It’s maddening.
Ya ya ya, that's it....over worked engineers is the problem.

While Your other buddy engineer is on here during work hours bragging about how much money he makes,"working"

Bwahahahaha

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1921
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by GRTfast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am
GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am
rebelrouser wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 am
A parable worth reading:

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River.
Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.


On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile .

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.
A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people paddling and 1-person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people paddling.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were paddling.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people paddling the boat greater incentive to work harder . It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program, with meetings, dinners and free pens for the paddlers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices , and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channeled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off one paddler, halted development of a new canoe , sold all the paddles, and cancelled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated paddler was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles), so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold, and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, the End.

Here's something else to think about:

GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US.

The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM rack s up 9 billion in losses.

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses....

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY.
Yeah that’s awful, and true from what I’ve been able to tell. I see it in my industry too. We sell engineered machines. Engineering is such a small part of the company, and we are constantly being squeezed to be cheaper and faster, while I see so much bloated spending and unnecessary beurocracy in other areas of the company. It’s maddening.
Ya ya ya, that's it....over worked engineers is the problem.

While Your other buddy engineer is on here during work hours bragging about how much money he makes,"working"

Bwahahahaha
Talk about missing the point. Jeez.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 8395
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by pdq67 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Shit, its like everything else!

The money is in management or administration!

Not in doing the job. Most figure that if you are doing the JOB, then you are a fool! And you get paid as little as THEY can get you to WORK FOR!!

It has now became, "The business of --------", insert word, say like education, healthcare, religion, corporate, etc., etc....

Been there, have done it!!!

pdq67

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4935
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:34 pm

And in the old days Ford figured it out. One old granny in the office that did everything from pay checks to what ever else was needed done.
A small hand full of management and tons of actual workers building the product.
The crazy high prices of cars now is to support acres and acres of office buildings and heating and air-conditioning them, as well as the huge pay checks to hundreds of chair warmers you know like a few that post on here. Next is the totally non cost savings deal of annual styling changes.
GM could have just stopped with the styling in 1958, and just got rid of all the constant changing that is needed to redesign every year.
It worked in cuba for years. =D> =D> :lol:

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3740
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by gmrocket » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am
GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:47 am


Yeah that’s awful, and true from what I’ve been able to tell. I see it in my industry too. We sell engineered machines. Engineering is such a small part of the company, and we are constantly being squeezed to be cheaper and faster, while I see so much bloated spending and unnecessary beurocracy in other areas of the company. It’s maddening.
Ya ya ya, that's it....over worked engineers is the problem.

While Your other buddy engineer is on here during work hours bragging about how much money he makes,"working"

Bwahahahaha
Talk about missing the point. Jeez.
Didn't miss a thing.. your a typical engineer thinking your hard done by. You said it's maddening how your " squeezed"

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1921
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by GRTfast » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 pm

gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am


Ya ya ya, that's it....over worked engineers is the problem.

While Your other buddy engineer is on here during work hours bragging about how much money he makes,"working"

Bwahahahaha
Talk about missing the point. Jeez.
Didn't miss a thing.. your a typical engineer thinking your hard done by. You said it's maddening how your " squeezed"
That maddening part is not seeing the same level of scrutiny applied to non essential departments.

Without engineers the life you know and love does not exist. We solve problems you didn’t know you had in ways you don’t understand.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4935
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by exhaustgases » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:53 pm

GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 pm


Talk about missing the point. Jeez.
Didn't miss a thing.. your a typical engineer thinking your hard done by. You said it's maddening how your " squeezed"
That maddening part is not seeing the same level of scrutiny applied to non essential departments.

Without engineers the life you know and love does not exist. We solve problems you didn’t know you had in ways you don’t understand.
Engineers are not the ones you are thinking about. Engineers can be ones that have no formal education. Machinists are engineers and without them and their machines, the modern world would not exist.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru
Posts: 3740
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Grimsby Ontario

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by gmrocket » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:20 am

GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:11 pm


Talk about missing the point. Jeez.
Didn't miss a thing.. your a typical engineer thinking your hard done by. You said it's maddening how your " squeezed"
That maddening part is not seeing the same level of scrutiny applied to non essential departments.

Without engineers the life you know and love does not exist. We solve problems you didn’t know you had in ways you don’t understand.
Ah poo poo, so maddening .

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1921
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by GRTfast » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:53 pm
GRTfast wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 pm
gmrocket wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm


Didn't miss a thing.. your a typical engineer thinking your hard done by. You said it's maddening how your " squeezed"
That maddening part is not seeing the same level of scrutiny applied to non essential departments.

Without engineers the life you know and love does not exist. We solve problems you didn’t know you had in ways you don’t understand.
Engineers are not the ones you are thinking about. Engineers can be ones that have no formal education. Machinists are engineers and without them and their machines, the modern world would not exist.
Who designs the machines?

Brian P
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1567
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:35 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by Brian P » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:29 am

rebelrouser wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 am
Here's something else to think about:

GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US.

The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM rack s up 9 billion in losses.

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses....

IF THIS WEREN'T SO TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY.
There's another large difference: the UAW. GM is stuck with them. Toyota (and BMW and Mercedes and Hyundai and Honda and Nissan and Volkswagen) have either kept them out or only allowed them limited authority.

The one Toyota plant that had the UAW (because it was a joint venture with GM - NUMMI in California), Toyota did not keep. That's now Tesla's plant.

86_regal
Pro
Pro
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Re: A parable worth reading

Post by 86_regal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks to Trump's interest in "trade balance" and "jobs" in the form of enacting tariffs, this behavior will continue to be enabled benefitting BOTH the UAW and the swaff of GM stuffed shirts.

Post Reply